Harley Tie-Down Questions in Cyclone??

pineguy

Hi All

I purchased a new 3850 cyclone a while back but have not picked it up yet. When I pick it up in 3 weeks I plan on purchasing a Harley close by where I pick up the trailer. The trailer will not have wheel chocks installed nor do I wish to bolt them to the floor as carrying the Harley will be a one time thing.

What would be the best solution for strapping the Harley (fatboy) inside the toy hauler so I can ensure a safe trip home (about 1200 miles)?

Is anyone is using the steadymate wheel chock not bolted to the floor?

Many thanks in advance for your knowledge!!

Randy

PUG

Pug
my 09 3950 came with D rings built into the floor. I added about 5 more to carry up to three bikes. Check out the specs and pictures of your 3850 and see if it has pre installed D rings. If so they should be sufficient.

porthole

Retired
If the bike hauling will be a one time thing then I would skip the wheel chock.

If you are doing it by yourself set the bike between the D-rings on the kickstand.

Start with a strap on the left side of the fork to a forward D-ring and take the slack out. Then add a second strap to the right side and start cinching it up. Adjust both straps so that the bike is standing upright without compressing the front forks too much.

Add a couple more to the rear sides and since you will not be using a chock add straps that wrap the front and rear wheels and pull rearward.

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
I have used Duane's method for transporting our Harleys and it works just fine. One thing to add though, if you wrap a strap around the rim and tire, cushion it with a soft towel to prevent chaffing the finish on the rim. For more than just occasional use take a look at the rack systems this company sells. A little pricey but no holes to drill and it is quickly removable so that you have full use of the "garage" while camping.
http://www.boltiton.com/

pineguy

Thanks, at this point it is a one time thing. Just wanted to make sure that it will be secure back there. Looking at picking up a fat boy, they are heavy and want to make sure it will not go through the patio door :)

The feedback is very much appreciated!!! thanks again

dynaguy

I second the use of the m&r, we have tried others in our previous toy haulers and these are the best we found.

R.Pratt

we strap both of our bikes down without chocks. i put my wifes bike on the side with the bathroom and slide it back far enough to get the straps on, also i use "soft straps" on the handlebars and on the rear of the bikes on the swing arms. With four straps per bike in a generally 45 deg angle from the bike you will have more than enough straping strength. No matter what straps you choose remember that a strap rated for 1000 lbs is only rated for that in one direction, so the rise and the angle will lower the total weight allowance. Enjoy we love our 3850 and have done tons of mods, with more on the way!!

Wallace

One thing I would recommend is...Put something down under the kick stand to keep from tearing up the rubber mat.
I use a small piece of plywood.
You would be surprise at what the little movement will do.
I have never had that issue but I can only imagine what a hole or a bunched up rubber floor would make me feel like!

I do not use a wheel chuck, I use 2 soft loops on my handle bars pulling forward and 2 plastic coated straps on the swing arm pulling back wards.

I leave it in gear and hook the driver side front first taking up the little slack, I then hook up both rear straps pulling them taunt.
Then I hook the right front and start to pull it down.

Just remember the front right is the first to loosen.

If I am staying some where for over a day I will loosen the straps allow the suspension to relax.

az2142t

I use Bolt It On, in fact, my Star Stratoliner (~800LB eq. to large Harley) and a 900LB golf cart are in the back of my 3850 as I am writing this. This product is worth its price...$280 shipped, install in 10 minutes, unistall in ten minutes stores under the RV out of the way, garage is left stock. I use the factory rings (two of them) and could use a third, but its not necessary, just traveled 900 miles...no incident.