Exhaust Gas temps

piach

Simple question I'm sure, getting ready to install the edge attitude wiuth juice in my 2004 GMC 2500hd diesel, just curious as to what a normal and what would be a warning exhaust gas temp range.... at what temp should I back off or get concerned over

dieselengineer

Charter Member
What truck do you have? The Dodge Cummins (3rd Gen, 5.9) the EGT cutoff is 1350* preturbo. About 1150* post turbo with stock timing. Change the timing and cutoff changes.

PUG

Pug
I had an 02 duramax and had a Hypertech on it with full guages. I wouldn't let it get over 1250 and had to watch that very closely while pulling hills. I can guarantee you I would have burned it down without a Pyrometer. Installed in the exhaust manifold before the turbo.

I now have an 09 Ram 6.7 with full guages and no booster. The Cummins runs a lot hotter like 1350 to 1400 pre turbo on the pyro. I talked with Cummins and they said that as long as you don't mess with the engine that it has safeguards built in to stop "anyone" from smoking the engine. I have personally watched and experitmented with it and when you put your foot in it for a long hard pull it will back the engine off before it gets to hot. The Cummins are made to work, not run around town. If you don't you will plug up the emission system and that is very costly.

piach

Thanks all for the info..the edge book suggests no hotter than 1350* which is pretty consistent with what I have been able to find out. Thanks again :)

porthole

Retired
Depends on where you are taking the measurement from.

On the GM typical is in the rear of the exhaust manifold. Temps are relative. I have a Banks tuner which came with a pyrometer for the tuner to work properly.
I already had an analog pyrometer.

My analog (gauge) pyro is mounted in a BD manifold on the left side. BD includes a threaded port. My banks digital readout (through the PDA) pyro is installed in a drilled hole on the right side.

Both pyros read different temps, sometimes 100 degrees different. Which one is right? I don't know. But the tuner uses it's temperature to keep the programming under damaging limits.

I see anywhere from 1050 to over 1250 when pulling.

Although last year when I made a wrong turn and ended going up and unexpected 14% grade my engine and trans temp alarms were going off and I never checked the pyro temp.
These alarms wher set at 235 with the banks tuner. I since have raised the alarm threshold.

I will add that I have a turbo back 4" exhaust and aftermarket air intake. I really don't these helped all that much with the temps.