exhaust brakes

beardedone

Beardedone
I had one of those. It can be done but not recommended for an automatic transmission. Manual is ok. If you have an automatic then you have beef things up. Visit the the Dodge Cummins Forum for lots of details.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
we had an 05 2500 dodge 5.9 diesel and was told by a couple of sources including a co. that handles aftermarket exhaust brake that the transmission (auto) could not be adapted. We now have an 09 3500 diesel with a stock exhaust brake. Love it.

wdk450

I have an earlier 2004 Ram 3500. I took it to a local diesel performance/racing shop called Diesel Nut. I told the guy there I wanted to pull my 16000 lb 5th wheel trailer, and wanted an engine brake. He recommended upgrading the transmission with a new high performance valve body that puts more pressure on the disks, along with the D-Celerator exhaust brake. I can say that it definitely shifts rougher than before, and the exhaust brake has worked OK.

Detmer

I too have looked at exhaust brakes for my 2005 Dodge. I have seen several different explanations of why putting one on the early 48re transmissions is somewhat problematic.
Some say that the tranny needs upgrading. Yet I have talked to a dodge dealer and the trans from an 05 and an 06 are virtually the same. 06 and above will support a factory exhaust brake. I have heard that there is a particular thrust washer in the newer 48re that make the EB possible. Cannot confirm this though.
I have heard that the problem is that the memory in the ECM is not large enough to handle the extra programming needed to control the TC when using an exhaust brake. Maybe that is why Dodge says you can put a factory EB on an 06 and later.
This might make sense because if you check with PAC-Brake they have an exhaust brake for the early 48re transmission but you have to buy an additional control module. I have actually talked to PAC Brake and they say no problem putting one on an early 48re transmission. It will cost you about $1500 in parts though. Banks also has an exhaust brake but again an additional module is needed.
Not really sure what to believe. Let us know if you find anything out.

silverhawk

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram Bighorn with the 5.9 and a 6 speed manual. I also am interested in putting a E-Brake on. Any recommendations?

bhoth

The best brake for the Dodge is the Pacbrake. They are very familiar with what is needed for each year truck.

They are air actuated so you also have the ability to control your air bags with the onboard system (this is an option)

Detmer

Silverhawk,

You have many options being that you have a manual transmission and it is a 2006. You can go right to a Dodge dealer and get an exhaust brake which is made by Jacobs. You can also go straight to Jacobs and get the brake. http://jakebrake.com/
You could also use a Pac Brake or a Banks. You could even go to a Cummins shop and they would probably have the e-brake for your truck.
Check out each one.
The problems arise when you have an automatic transmission prior to 2006 in the Dodges.

silverhawk

Just ordered my Pacbrake and my Pac airbags.
They should be in next week. Then I have to figure out how to install the pacbraks. I have no worries about the Airbags. I don't expect any big snaffoos.....