Unusual tire wear

I'm in California on an extended trip from Texas. We have gone about 4000 miles now and the right-rear tire is rapidly wearing out on the outside of the tread. All 3 of the others are wearing normally.

Is this an alignment problem? If so, are there adjustments on the axel. I called All Wheel Alignment and Brake in Redding and he couldn't take me if for a week.

Any recommendations on who should work on this. Will regular RV dealers be able to fix it?

The rig is a 2011 Cyclone 3010.

Bob in Houston (normally)

PSF513

While I am not sure, it sounds like one of the sets of u-bolts that hold your axles in place may have loosened and your axle and wheel have twisted. You might want to crawl under and check the torque (65 ft-lb) on each of your u-bolt nuts. You will need to be careful though to try to align the axle properly before tightening.

Hope it helps.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bob, an alignment check is definitely something to look into. As the previous poster noted, check your u-bolts for tightness. Prior to doing that, measure the distance from a point on the frame to your axles and try to determine if both sides are the same distance from that measuring point. That point could be a landing gear leg on each side. Do this before tightening the u-bolts.

Another thing to check would be the axle bearing nut on the end of the spindle. At least get the wheel off the ground and see if it is loose on the spindle.

This will at least determine a basic alignment. You might consider putting on the spare if the tire wear is getting worse. At least, move the rear to the front and front to the rear.

jnbhobe

You will need an alignment shop that does big trucks and trailers. I find its best to ask around to find who is good at trailer alignment.

Gaffer

If you are going north, one of the best on the left coast is Hendersons in Grants Pass Oregon. They came to the Oregon Chapter rally in June and impressed all of us. You can stay on site too as they have hookups. Check em out. They are real pro and can take care of your alignment problem, upgrade your suspension, add wet bolts or whatever you need.

Last edited:

caissiel

On my previous trailer, I was wearing a rear tire and the front tires were wearing great. After lots of checks I found that the front axle was off alignment by almost 1/2 in. The trailer was build that way with the shackles installed improperly.

It might be that you hit something with the front axle and threw it off at the spring support.

I would not only concentrate on the rear as I did and all for nothing.

My conclusion was that the front tire was tracking and pulled the rear sideways.

On the BC, the center bolt on one rear spring broke and the rear axle was off by 1 in. The springs were so loose that the axle broke the centerbolt and the axle slid backard. No tire wear was showing at the time.

I fixed it when I replaced all the springs.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I called All Wheel Alignment and Brake in Redding and he couldn't take me if for a week. Any recommendations on who should work on this. Will regular RV dealers be able to fix it? [/QUOTE said:
Bob,
Try these guys. My brother in law uses them for the big truck stuff, and a lot of my hot rod guys used them too. He said he could get you in either Tues or Wed? Give them a call and see what you can do. Call me if you get here and I can pick you guys up and take you for coffee.

Terrill's Truck Aliignment
(530) 378-1678

Thanks Ray. I spoke w/ Terrill on Friday and will again on Monday. He says he should be able to get me in Tuesday. I tried to get something sooner in the Vacaville area without any luck. So it isn't a total bust, we are going to camp in Red Bluff tomorrow and ride Lassen Monday.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

slmayor

Lassen is a good place to be this time of year :) Call us if you need anything when you get to Terrill's. Bro-in-law says they are reasonable with pricing as well. Have fun on your ride!
deb

DW_Gray

Does it look like this?
IMG_8890 (Small).JPGThis tire actually blew out last week.

It could be flat springs on the opposite side from the tire that is worn. I have that problem now on 2 axles. I'm waiting for Lippert to respond to my request.

If it became worn to the steel belt less than 400 miles as happened to me last year, the axle is most likely bent. I had to have the front axle replaced after my second shake down trip.

lwmcguir

Bob, an alignment check is definitely something to look into. As the previous poster noted, check your u-bolts for tightness. Prior to doing that, measure the distance from a point on the frame to your axles and try to determine if both sides are the same distance from that measuring point. That point could be a landing gear leg on each side. Do this before tightening the u-bolts.

Another thing to check would be the axle bearing nut on the end of the spindle. At least get the wheel off the ground and see if it is loose on the spindle.

This will at least determine a basic alignment. You might consider putting on the spare if the tire wear is getting worse. At least, move the rear to the front and front to the rear.

Great advice. Also check the distance from center of wheel to center of wheel on each side. Shouldn't be more than 1/8 inch difference. Are your springs all looking the same with similar arch? If all this checks out then you have bent an axle. Fairly simple to fix just take the big shop to straighten it out.

Looks like this. This is the right side; the inside of the left side wheel looks the same.

View attachment 9598

I got stuck in a campsite the took 3 wreckers to pull me out. It was necessary to pull the trailer sideways by putting a soft sling through the spokes of the left-front wheel. Dawn dishwashing soap was used for lubricant and after every inch of sideways movement, the back of the trailer was lifted to unspring the axles. It wasnt' pretty but it got me out of the trees. Likely something got misaligned durling the extraction.

Looking under the rig, I can't find anything obviously bent, broken or cracked. We'll see what Terrill can find.

Bob

Last edited:

DW_Gray

Bob, your attachment is not working. Please try again.

In the reply box, click on the picture icon. (Insert Image)

From the additional info, you need to take it to an axle expert that has all the alignment equipment. There is an excellent shop in Santa Maria, CA.

lwmcguir

Looks like this. This is the right side; the inside of the left side wheel looks the same.

View attachment 9598

I got stuck in a campsite the took 3 wreckers to pull me out. It was necessary to pull the trailer sideways by putting a soft sling through the spokes of the left-front wheel. Dawn dishwashing soap was used for lubricant and after every inch of sideways movement, the back of the trailer was lifted to unspring the axles. It wasnt' pretty but it got me out of the trees. Likely something got misaligned durling the extraction.

Looking under the rig, I can't find anything obviously bent, broken or cracked. We'll see what Terrill can find.

Bob

You had good tow truck operators. A coach go stuck near here and an inexperienced driver hooked to the frame. Bent all the hangers which had to be straightened to keep the tires from rubbing the shocks.

Terrill's took me in Tuesday (good shop; good people). The rear axle was out of alignment but he didn't think it should have caused the tire wear. He noted that the EZ-Flex spacing was different from left to right side by 1/8". I had unloaded one of the motorcycles so the rig wasn't loaded evenly side to side. I'll look at that again when I get home and the rig is empty.

Three out of the four tires we so bad after just 7000 miles that I replaced them before moving on through the desert. One of them looked like it was coming apart internally (too round thru the cross-section).

In Reno now. I will watching the thread wear real closely.

Bob in Houston

lwmcguir

Does your Coach run true down the road or is it off to one side or the other. I would run a tape from the king pin center to each side and check the distance to the front axle. Then center to center of the axles.

slmayor

Bob, glad that Terill's worked out for you.
If you're heading across 80, Parker's Model T RV in Winnemucca isn't a bad place for an overnight. Not much of a park, but easy in and out, right off the hwy. Great little restaurant too.
We just replaced our tires in Hood River, OR on the homeward bound leg of our trip. Wear issues and a bubble as well.