Uneven Tire Wear on ONE tire

nuskovich

tire3.jpgtire1.jpgtire2.jpg

Our 2017 Cyclone 3611 is having an issue on the left rear tire with uneven wear. It has occurred twice this summer. The first pic is the factory installed Sailun. We changed out the axles and replaced the leaf-springs, then it happened again after 3000 miles, Pic 2 and 3. Frame out of alignment or what? Any Ideas???

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Uneven weight distribution side-to-side can load the springs differently, shifting the axles out of parallel. Lippert's CorrectTrack was designed to correct this type of misalignment. Many Heartland trailers had CorrectTrack as standard equipment until a few years ago which allowed for adjusting the axles back to parallel. If yours has CorrectTrack, and measurements show a tracking problem, you may be able to adjust it to correct the problem.

drittal

The 3611 doesn’t have any carry capacity. 15,305lbs dry weight on 17,000lbs Gross. It could be you already bent your new axle or springs.

8ece9f6d5504118cc9f3d986f3e037cb.jpg
5ce33b2d070fc1e2a55dd1663636f230.jpg

72632e0d4a7b7301eb9ef759870b7971.jpg

Good luck. I hope the solution is easy for you. The reality is if you use the 3611 for dry camping or hauling toys the entire suspension, axles, wheels and tires will need to be upgraded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MillerTime802

The 3611 doesn’t have any carry capacity. 15,305lbs dry weight on 17,000lbs Gross. It could be you already bent your new axle or springs.

8ece9f6d5504118cc9f3d986f3e037cb.jpg
5ce33b2d070fc1e2a55dd1663636f230.jpg

72632e0d4a7b7301eb9ef759870b7971.jpg

Good luck. I hope the solution is easy for you. The reality is if you use the 3611 for dry camping or hauling toys the entire suspension, axles, wheels and tires will need to be upgraded.

I see a pattern with the Cyclone 3611 JS. I've had these same issues along with uneven tire wear. I've replaced the leaf springs (stock) and upgraded the wheels and tires to "H" rated with much stronger wheels. Have you made all the upgrades you suggest? If so, where did you purchase the parts? Or, did you have a trailer repair shop do it for you?
Thanks, Brad

drittal

Not yet. Have a complaint with NHTSA under review. Heartland reps told us we don’t know how to weigh an RV, one rep hung up on us. Certified letter with delivery confirmation was received with no reply. Dealership washed their hands of the situation. Heartland currently offers 2 models with higher dry weight on same GVWR.

These units can legally haul gear, or water, or a small toy. Only 1 of the 3. Never all 3 and if trying to do 2 of the 3 you can only carry part of your gear or water or a very small toy.

I have found a pop-up with a cargo deck with 20% greater cargo capacity than these...

david-steph2018

Just throwing this out there: I am kind of thinking like Dan, it could be the axle is out of alignment. It seems you are "dragging" the tire instead of it rolling. I mean the tire is going down the road at an angle instead of straight. I am not sure but it seems if everything else has
been changed out except the axle mounting I would think about looking at that measurement.

Just a thought I could be so far off base I might not be in the same ballpark.

drittal

It’s a shame the 3611JS is so limited because it is, IMO, the best floorplan Cyclone offered.

drittal

View attachment 62992View attachment 62993View attachment 62994

Our 2017 Cyclone 3611 is having an issue on the left rear tire with uneven wear. It has occurred twice this summer. The first pic is the factory installed Sailun. We changed out the axles and replaced the leaf-springs, then it happened again after 3000 miles, Pic 2 and 3. Frame out of alignment or what? Any Ideas???

What do you haul? Have you weighed the RV loaded?

drittal

I will strongly recommend ALL 3611js, 3600, and 3713 owners load up for camping and hit the scales before going out again.

MillerTime802

Not yet. Have a complaint with NHTSA under review. Heartland reps told us we don’t know how to weigh an RV, one rep hung up on us. Certified letter with delivery confirmation was received with no reply. Dealership washed their hands of the situation. Heartland currently offers 2 models with higher dry weight on same GVWR.

These units can legally haul gear, or water, or a small toy. Only 1 of the 3. Never all 3 and if trying to do 2 of the 3 you can only carry part of your gear or water or a very small toy.

I have found a pop-up with a cargo deck with 20% greater cargo capacity than these...

Heartland: I've given up on Heartland Company and the dealership I purchased from for any meaningful assistance. Heartland company (even through I've documented my issues very well) has not followed through with their interest and when it was time for them to actually do something.......crickets. This said, I love my trailer and i know it's my responsibility to make it road worthy and safe. I'm slowly upgrading the chassis to carry more weight, I just don't know where to get the components.....yet. All this said, I'd still recommend Heartland but under the warning that you can't expect much help from them if things go bad......and you better darn well be a handy person.

nuskovich

Hauling 2 plastic kayaks and 2 bicycles, nothing out of the ordinary. Even if it is full with water and the 50 gallons of gasoline/overweight but balanced, I don't understand how it can affect only that one tire/wheel position.

MillerTime802

Hauling 2 plastic kayaks and 2 bicycles, nothing out of the ordinary. Even if it is full with water and the 50 gallons of gasoline/overweight but balanced, I don't understand how it can affect only that one tire/wheel position.

Yeah, it's a mystery to me too. For my worn tire, i had a somewhat loose wheel bearing so i tightened up the nut. The wear only happened on one (1) trip from S. Padre Island to my home in Frisco Tx. and i was hauling quite a bit of unbalanced weight in the garage. Golf car, fans, tool boxes, and a bunch of stuff my kids didn't want take home in their cars. I tightened the hub nut, replaced the tire, lightened and balanced my loads, and haven't had the issue return????????

I do know one thing for sure. When i broke one of the leaf springs, it moved that side of the axle forward 2" to 3". So, perhaps if the leaf springs (individually or somewhat in pairs) fatigue or receive to much load....maybe it moves the axle out of alignment?????

F.Y.I., i attached a photo of my measurements to see how out of alignment my axles were.....are.Axle Alignment Cyclone - 10042019.jpg

drittal

It isn’t too hard to overload the springs and axles on these 3611JS. My parents is over axle ratings with water and gear, no toys in the garage and most of the food unloaded.

When you changed the axles and springs, why? Was there problem(s) beyond the tire wear?
Are the bushings on the spring worn?

MTPockets

Knowing your weights is very important, but fir the described problem I think you need the loaded weight on each tire to determine if there is a loading/weight distribution anomaly.

nuskovich

Made it to a repair shop and discovered the leaf spring hanger welds are failing/breaking loose. Repairs are scheduled and they are planning on adding a cross member from left-side to right-side on each hanger pair. Don't know how they'll do that with the fuel line but we'll see.

MillerTime802

Made it to a repair shop and discovered the leaf spring hanger welds are failing/breaking loose. Repairs are scheduled and they are planning on adding a cross member from left-side to right-side on each hanger pair. Don't know how they'll do that with the fuel line but we'll see.

Mid be most interested to know how the repair goes and what the cross strut is for. Thanks, Brad

mlpeloquin

Cross members help equalize the stress and also tie both sides of the spring hangers together. Spring hangers flex when under stress such as turning. Some manufactures such as Dexter weld both sides together with a round metal tube. Just saw the hanger and explanation by Dexter rep at the Jackson rally.

Both my rear spring hangers broke. One oh the way to a rally in Oregon early last year and missed the rally. The other broke near a small town in New York later last year. Not fun. I now carry two spare spring hangers and the current ones are cross tied with both sides of each spring hanger welded together. Both front and rear sets are now welded this way.

BLR

We just had a mobile welder fix us up, while we were on the road about 6 miles out of Alturas CA.. To get us back on the road.. it was about 15 rumble strips that took us out..
Rear shackles,
6de43bc359501d6fbe4926d411ec1e6c.jpg
111aae249885e6b4e46d2e1782c302f8.jpg
333d17f8bc3deb2a0f2e70b56ec91a0d.jpg

Sent from BLR Logistics