Fuel mileage on 2007 Ram 3500 DRW

Kekeith81

Just recently bought used 2007 Ram 3500 DRW with 52000 miles. Problem is I'm seriously only getting 10 MPG on Highway without hauling anything. Any Ideas?

jimtoo

HI Kevin,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

There are lots of things that affect fuel mileage, but I'm sure someone will jump in and give their thoughts soon.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

beardedone

Beardedone
I have the truck in my signature and towing the LM I can get 10 mpg (US)in the mountains and 12 on the prairie at 100 kph. My solo is 17 - 20 mpg (US). You should be doing a lot better than 10 solo. There are several things you can do. Join the Dodge Cummins Forum site for starters because there is tons of information there. Make sure your air cleaner is clean. Clean your MAP sensor (instructions on the Cummins site), check tire inflation and keep your speed at around 60 mph (100 kph). The final thing I can recommend is to unplug your EGR valve. Lots of guys have reported 2 - 3 mpg increase in economy and little or no loss of power, again instructions are on the forum. One last thing, check to see what computer flash you have. Lots of guys (especially early 07.5) have seen good improvement after the most recent flash. Hope this helps.

Willym

Early 2007's were the 5.9 engine with significantly less emission control equipment and good fuel economy. Later 07's had the 6.7 engine more controls and particulate filter. You should be getting much better solo economy and Gerry (Beardedone) has offered some good advice.

Rrloren

I have an early 07 with the 6.7 and get 17 - 17.5 mpg rural driving and just got 11.9 towing the Sundance on a 2000 mile trip.
The biggest improvement I saw was unplugging the EGR valve , got over 2 mpg improvement instantly. Mine has been reflashed a couple times and I can't remember which one I have but I didn't go in for the latest flash since I didn't feel I needed it.
Good advice above , you should be able to improve your mileage. Also need to go light on the skinny pedal!

robnmo

We've also got a late 07 w/ the 6.7 we get about 17 to 19 mpg with nothing in tow, when we're pulling the Cyclone, we got about 6.5 to 7 going to and from Colorado (Kansas head wind) when we towed to Texas we got about 8 to 9 loaded. Not sure about computer flashes etc, that's outta my league, but 10 mpg by itself definitely sounds way low.

Gaffer

I don't see on his post that it is a diesel. He should be doing much better than that if it is.

hoefler

On my 08, I average 9-9.5 with the 5ver in tow, 11-12 with my loaded 16' enclosed trailer, and 15 running by its self. I have never seen anything over 15, all hand calculate at a 1,000 mile at a time.

jpajax

In 2007 there were two diesel engines not sure witch one you have. If they are any after market performance parts added on remove them. Change all fluids and filters recheck, if that does not make change take it to good dealer and have it checked out. If you are using the overhead reading it has been known to be off especially if the tire size has been changed. Just be sure that you take the after market parts off motor or find a dealer that will turn a blind eye. Also check when you first start it in the morning and check the exhaust if blowing white smoke tell dealer. Hope this helps. Also check all the hose clamps on the boots from the turbo to intake and if it an automatic check rpms if is 373 rear end the rpms should be about 1800 at 65mph if it 411 will be higher.

Kekeith81

Thanks for all the great advice so far!! Sorry I should have included the engine info. It is a 6.7 Diesel. I'm frustrated cause I have been driving a 2004 Cummins and it ranged up to 20 on the highway. I just had the computer reflashed (Recall) but it has made no difference. It has no other aftermarket items on it. I am pretty conservative on the speed running between 60-65 MPH

Last edited:

hoefler

Another thing to remember,this engine does not like running below 2100-2200 rpm. That is where its sweet spot is. I often drop a gear to maintain rpm. Running across S.Dakota and Nebraska last fall, my milage was 10.6 mpg running 76 mph in 6th gear. Never down shifted, just hummed along

Kekeith81

I've found that it runs at about 1650 at 65. Checked everything I can find, guess I'll have to break down and take it to the dealer.

hoefler

Drop a gear, keep it between 2,000-2,200 rpm. It will be much happier, your milage will go up. Ironicly, I get better milage driving a little faster keeping it in the right rpm range makes a huge difference. I don't know your gear ratio, I am running 3.73 gears, at the rpm your at your lugging it or awful close to it.

Last edited:

Gaffer

Hey Hoefler, Watch your tires carefully if you are running ST's. They are rated for 65 mph.

Stinger381

I have the later model engine in the 2500 diesel megacab 4x4 and I'm getting nearly 13 mpg loaded with my Sundance 3300 RLB. I haven't done any mod's on the truck at all and I run the 80psi E rated tires at 78 lbs when I tow. My previous truck was a dodge as well and it got 17 mpg, it was a long wheel base 4x4 with the wing doors. I think the previous owners had installed one of those "pucks" in it however as I got 17 whether I was pulling a trailer or not ?

We have a 99 chev 3500 gas 454 engine and we are only getting 4.5 miles to the gallon towing our 2011 roadwarrior, can anyone give us insight as to how we can raise that? We normally get 10 miles to the gallon whether we are towing or not.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I traded off my 98 GMC with the 454 engine. It would pull anything I wanted to tow with it, but it just didn't get good fuel mileage. I traded it for a diesel and haven't looked back. My diesel gets better mileage pulling than the 454 did bob tail. You can spend a lot of money on the gas motor and it may get some better mileage, but the bottom line is, get a diesel, no matter the brand, and you'll be very happy with your mileage.

BruteForce

On a great day, I get about 10mpg, On average, I get 7-8mpg on my 2009 Ram 3500 Dually. Bear in mind that my GCVRW is usually around 27k pounds, and I live in Utah where most of the freeways can exceed 9k feet in elevation (at least where I tow to).

Kashman

Mark Lawrence
On my 3500 DRW 4wd I usually get about 10mpg towing the Bighorn and around 15mpg or so (depending skinny pedal placement) without trailer. I gonna try the rpm range suggested in previous post. I have been considering whether or not to get one those programmers (BullyDog, etc) or not.