Bed cover with 5th wheels - what are you using?

wyleyrabbit

I want to get a tonneau cover for my truck, but would prefer to get one that I can keep on the truck while towing the Bighorn. Was considering either the Extang Solid-Fold or the BakFlip G2. Can either of these be used while towing? How about durability of either?

az2142t

Extang Solid Fold Here...the skinny:

Pro's:

Tow with it on (LB F350 w/Cyclone 3850)
Build quality
Customer service from Extang (Ive had three of them)
Look and durability
Ease of use (two spring loaded hooks under the cover adjacent to the tailgate hold the back end, permanent clamps hold the front)

Cons

Can't see my hitch due to the height of the three panels in the open position (have to get out of the truck to align, not a big deal, but it is a con)
Panel closest the cab is fixed (you cant raise it unless you take it completely loose from the truck) which limits accessibility to storage nearest the cab.

Overall, I would buy it again...check out Ebay if you are interested...there is a seller in Michigan that accepts best offers..I paid $625 shipped for a long bed version.

Mike

mesteve

Roll-N-Lock M Series:

Pros:
Can tow with it on
ease of use
lockable with a single key lock
self draining, has drains built into the roll container
open, its only 9" or so and only 7" deep
has multiple locking positions
roll container only sits an inch or so above bedrails

Cons:
Can unlatch itself and roll open on really rough dirt roads

I absolutely love this thing and would get another one in a heartbeat. Although to be totally honest, I think I am more committed to the rolling cover than this particular piece. This is my first truck so I have not used another type or brand of cover before.

jnbhobe

I just ordered an Advance Cover for our 2011 F-350 LB with a custom tool box in the front made to fit over my 40gal fuel tank. This will be my 3rd one from Advance, will let you know how it works out.

wyleyrabbit

I was almost ready to order the Fold-A-Cover, but turns out the standard model everyone sells does not work with a dually. I called the company to ask about this, and they told me that their brackets don't work with the Chevy dually bed rails (no idea about Ford or Dodge), and that they had just come up with compatible brackets for a higher price (an extra $30). My concern is that these new brackets were so new, I quite frankly didn't trust them, and I don't like paying huge money (for the cover and the new brackets) to be a beta tester.

I ended up purchasing the Extang Solid Fold. So far, am very happy with it. I haven't towed with it yet, but will tomorrow, so hopefully that goes as smoothly as can be.

DXprowler

I found a deal on a BakFlip HD a few weeks ago. It works well but I can't see the hitch when driving and hooking up. My previous setup with a V gate with a low profile toolbox was great but I sometimes need security when hauling weather sensitive items. I've always liked the Fold-a-Cover and am curious if it causes the same problem with not seeing the hitch? I had a Roll-n-Lock on a previous truck and it's probably the best for security and ease of hitching. However I don't like the drum and they're a bit more money.

GOTTOYS

I use a Lund roll up cover. Good quality, fits nice, 99 1/2% water tight. Roll back and latch down, lock tailgate and it's as secure as I want it to be. Priced a little better than the big name covers with a lifetime warranty on the fabric. Don

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Just put this BAK Rollbak Tonneau cover on our new 2011 Chevy 3500...http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/60A1675A0A0.aspx

Like it better than the Roll N Lock because there is no exposed lock, and you don't need another key...the locking tailgate secures the system. Was easy to install too, DH and I did it by ourselves in about 2 hours...and we didn't even fight!! Now that's a miracle...

micar

I use the Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit, works great and locks. Have to flip over the hitch handle to close. You can close the cover to the front edge of the hitch to keep stuff in the front of the box covered.
Mike

Jharris

I bought a Retrax cover out of Fargo N.D. for my F350 and really like it. You can lock it in any position along the way. I am from Canada so the supplier here charged me approx. $1500.00 installed. Not sure what it might cost out of the states.