Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bed cover with 5th wheels - what are you using?

1. Print this Post   #1

Bed cover with 5th wheels - what are you using?

Trying to pick a tonneau cover for the new truck.
    Looking at either a standard type vinyl roll up (not my first choice) or one of the folding types.

The G4 Elite Fold A Cover is very interesting but I can’t find anyone who has one on an eight foot bed.
    http://www.foldacover.com/

Bakflip F1 also looks good.
    http://www.bakflip-tonneau.com/features.asp?tabid=2

I would like to have some type of tool box in the bed, either my Weatherguard out of the Sierra or maybe even a “made to fit” plywood box under a cover. My Weatherguard an “inside” the bed box.

With the folding covers, can you fold them half way to use the hitch or do you have to fold them all the way to the rear window?

Anyone have either of the above two?
    Duane & Debbie with Regis & Baylee
    RIP camping buddies Cagney, Misty, my Molly & Gungy
    2011 F-350 DRW

Rallies & campouts:
    2012 - 7
    2013 - 8
    2014 - 9
    2015 - 8
    2016 - 8
    2017 - 9
    2018 - 8 so far

Mods
    --- Topic index --- TST TPMS --- SAT TV --- Onan issues --- Hensley TS-3 :-( --- Ramp failure

2. Print this Post   #2
    Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired 2psnapod2's Avatar

Re: Bed cover with 5th wheels - what are you using?

That's a great question. I am contemplating the same issue. Just bought a new 2010 F350 DRW and going to put a toolbox and a tonneau cover. Plan on going with a Mountain Master hitch. Was just looking at the different covers today. I am hoping to find one that will flip up to allow access to the toolbox and be folding. If I can't find one that will, I'll have to go with a roll up one. Would prefer the fold style.
    Michael and (Kelly) Barnett
    San Antonio TX
    HOC @1817
    2010 Ford F350 6.4 liter Lariat Dually FX4

2011 Inaugural MS/AL Rally- Newsite, MS
    2012 GA Rally- Elko, GA
    2012 Spring MS/AL Rally- Gulf Shore, AL

Follow us on our adventures!!! Our Blog Website is http://rvthereyetchronicles.wordpress.com/

3. Print this Post   #3

I have the Truxdo Lo Profile. I have had it on the truck for about a year now sitll looks like new. Very easy to roll up and back out! Because it will roll al lthe way up to the back window of the cab, I can get to my tool box.

http://www.truckaccessorizer.com/sto...lo_profile.htm
    Mark, Norma, Zach (Labradoodle)
    2007 Dodge 3500 Dulley 6.7 Crew cab 2X4 3.73 6 speed Auto Tran Stock Exhaust Brake
    2011 LandMark Grand Canyon Gen Set Auto Level Custom Desk
    1988 34' Catalina Sail Boat

4. Print this Post   #4

Duane; I have the Advance Cover I think their out of Michigan. I have one that is about 9yr old. If I get a new truck I want to put in a tool box and tank combo so now I'll have to find one I can use with that.
    Patti & Jon Holbert
    PJ (Welsh Springer Spaniel rescue)
    Freckles (Welsh Springer Spaniel)RIP
    Erie,Pa.
    Heartland Owners Club #1025
    2009 BH 3370 #9E012371 Sailun S637's on 17.5 in Mod Wheels,8K Hubs, Mor-Ryde Independent Suspension, Disc Brakes, Reese Fifth Airborne, Level-up,LED Lights,awning on slideout and BU lights
    2019 F-350 Lariat Ultimate Limited, DRW, 4X4,4.10 LS Gears,40K GCWR, CC, LB,Dual Moon Roofs, Cameras, Adaptive Cruise
    2015 Explorer XLT Sport, 4X4, Dual Moon Roofs, 20" Wheels.
    08 Branson,MI,
    09 Goshen,PA,MO
    10 East Coast,PA,OH,Nashville,NY,ON,Illinois
    11 Cherokee,NJ,PA,Goshen,Delaware,Illinois,NY,
    12 Virginia Beach,PA,NY,WI,MI, Illinois,Minnesota
    13 Gettysburg, Goshen, NY, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa
    14 Urbanna, Va.,ON,PA.,Illinois, NY.
    15 Goshen,NE Regional,NY, PA, Illinois,
    16 Lancaster, SE, SC,NC,NE Regionals, ON, VA, PA, NY
    17 VA,Goshen,IL,WI,OH,MD,NJ,NY
    18 NE Regional, NY
    19 PA,NY,Goshen,Rally,Pre,Pre-Pre-Rally

5. Print this Post   #5

I have a BakFlip G2 on my 2011 Sierra. I usually tow with it folded over to the last segment, but not up against the window. Either way it has to be strapped in place; I use bungie cords from the bed up over the folded cover segments to the anchors provided at the very front of the cover.

I chose the BakFlip over some other products because I didn't want to carry a separate key. The BakFlip relies on the tailgate lock. Many others have a separate lock and another key to carry. I really like having a single key for the truck doors, ignition, tailgate and bedcover.

I looked at some toolboxes that sit down inside the bed, but I couldn't find any attractive solutions. Even folded up against the window, the bed cover blocks access to the 1st 18" or so of the bed, so the toolbox wouldn't be able to be secured all the way to the front of the bed. The latches would have to be on the front surface of the toolbox. I wasn't picturing a very convenient setup. So I ended up with a couple of large tubs. I can lift them in and out of the bed without too much trouble. If I don't unhook overnight, I store the tubs in the backseat of the truck and in the trailer.

I also looked at a hard retractable rollup cover. There was one outfit that thought they could modify the installation rails, putting a toolbox at the very front of the bed and a shortened rollup cover behind it. But it looked like the toolbox, rollup housing, and hitch would have piecemealed the bed so much as to make it unusable for anything else.

One of the reasons I don't have to fold the BakFlip up against the window is that I have an 8' bed. So even if the BakFlip takes the first 24", then I still am no worse off than a shortbed without the BakFlip, and my Landmark should be able to make an 88 degree turn without touching the BakFlip. SHOULD be able to. I'm also comforted by the large vertical clearance between the bed rail and trailer. However, I've heard the 2011 F350s have less clearance than my GMC, so you may want to take a look at that.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

6. Print this Post   #6
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

I have the basic Laredo manual soft roll up on my truck. I looked at the folding hard tops, but didn't like the prices. For a tool box, I've got a large Rubbermaid hinged lid tool box that I've strapped to the tie-downs in the front of the bed, but I do have to roll the cover all the way to the window to hitch up. There is no mid-point for it. I'll be adding a Transfer-Flo 50 gal. tank to the truck, but it will fit under the cover.
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

7. Print this Post   #7

Quote Originally Posted by jnphobe View Post
    Duane; I have the Advance Cover I think their out of Michigan. I have one that is about 9yr old. If I get a new truck I want to put in a tool box and tank combo so now I'll have to find one I can use with that.
    I'll be going with a Titan tank when they come out in February. I was very happy with the Titan in my GMC, and that was only 52 gallons. The Ford will be 67.

I have seen a bed mounted box, think it was a fuel tank, that was built to allow a roll up cover canister to mount normal. Might be right up your alley.
    2011 F-350 DRW

Rallies & campouts:
    2012 - 7
    2013 - 8
    2014 - 9
    2015 - 8
    2016 - 8
    2017 - 9
    2018 - 8 so far

Mods
    --- Topic index --- TST TPMS --- SAT TV --- Onan issues --- Hensley TS-3 :-( --- Ramp failure

8. Print this Post   #8

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDar View Post
    but I do have to roll the cover all the way to the window to hitch up. There is no mid-point for it.
    Would be nice to figure out a way to secure it half way.
    2011 F-350 DRW

Rallies & campouts:
    2012 - 7
    2013 - 8
    2014 - 9
    2015 - 8
    2016 - 8
    2017 - 9
    2018 - 8 so far

Mods

9. Print this Post   #9

Hi Duane,
    I had an Xtang tri-fold that is currently on craigslist, great cover but I recently installed an auxiliary tank & needed to access from front of the bed.
    The only folding cover I could find that would fit my truck & provide front access was the Advance Cover.
    I called Tom (the owner) & he even installed for free, In fact, I didn't like the lock on the back panel so sense he builds the covers there, he customized my cover with no external lock on the back panel & put the latch on the inside of the back panel(I lock with tailgate).
    So far the cover is exactly what I needed.
    Check em out at: http://www.advancedfoldingcover.com
    Hope this helps,
    Dave
    David & Ginny
    Two Wonderful Children, & Harley the dog
    Trailer Saver Hitch, AirLift 5000 Bags w/wireless remote compressor
    2014 Ford F350 diesel dually, 68gal. auxiliary tank,
    2012 Voltage 3950, 2014 Harley Ultra Limited.

10. Print this Post   #10

I use a Fold A Cover and have an 8 foot bed on a dully and use a Reese 18K hitch which fits under the cover nicely. Have a KSH 50 gal tank but didn't opt for the tool box on top, but believe it would have worked OK as the height was the same. The cover folds up to behind the cab for towing and because of the way they fold it would not work "half way". I had this cover on my 03 Dodge and liked it so much that I brought it along to the new truck.
    Lance & Jo
    guard puppy Rocky

08 Bighorn 3670RL, Trail Air pinbox, 4K springs, Wet Bolts, Dexter self adjusting brakes
    07 Dodge 3500 Big Horn edition (naturally) Banks Brake & Torque Converter, 50gal KSH aux fuel tank, Fold A Cover

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast