3/4 Ton Truck Owners Survey

Hello All,
I'm new to the forum and a future generation 5ver. Like many of you have undoubtedly done, I am pouring through the mountain of information about which brands, floorplans, options, etc. and narrowing things down towards a decision.

We already own a 2006 Dodge 2500, 5.9L CTD, 4WD, SB w/ 3.73 rear axle which we like pretty well. I have read a ton of forum information about correctly sizing the tow truck and 5ver -- wow, loads of opinions, interpretation in this discussion.

Here's what I hope to generate from this thread;
  • What year/make 3/4 ton truck you have (specific engine, bed length and drivetran info would be helpful)
  • What year/make 5ver you tow to include actual towing weight if you have it
Thank you,
Bill & Jennie

jimtoo

Hi Bill & Jennie,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family soon. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

If you have been looking around you have seen lots of opinions and information on the subject. Be prepared, I'm sure you will get lots posted here.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My previous truck was a Chevy 2500HD 8.1 gasser with the Allison. 4.10 gears on a shortbed extra cab. It had a GVRW of 9200# and a 5th wheel capacity of 15,500# give or take a couple pounds.
I had my current 5th wheel, a 2007 Bighorn 3400RL. Towing weight at the time was 14,500# I was overweight on the trucks GVRW with a pin weight of 2600#

Keep in mind, we are full timers and carry more than the average weekend RVer and probably more than some full timers. And maybe even less than others.
I hope this helps in some way. Good luck with your research and we hope you beome a fellow Heartland Owner.

05Winger

I have a 2008 F250 Power Stroke Diesel crew cab with a short box and have a slider hitch installed. I really don't need the slider but it is good piece of mind. I pull a 30 ' 5th wheel which tips the scales at 9200 pounds. I also pull a 600 pound one wheel cart and a Goldwing is strapped down to that which I pull behing the the 5th wheel. I am very happy with the power and now that I have made some mods to the truck happy with the mileage.

lwmcguir

We used our 2005 CC F250 SB 6.0 373 Auto for several years. Pulled like a dream and was able to turn 90 degrees if needed. Pulling an Augusta with 5th Airborne pin and CP on the coach with 8k axles. Most of the options on the Augusta and we weigh in at 16,400 (coach only) most of the time. Pin weight is usually around 3300-3500, much higher than the brochure would indicate. We were running overloaded so decided to trade for a larger truck.

Currently we tow with a 2011 F350 LB 6.7 355 axles with 20 inch wheels/tires. Handling and power to spare for sure.

ricatic

Reality is this. If you want to go the fifth wheel route, consider spending around $ 600 and buy a 350/3500 model instead. I believe I have the lightest Big Horn, 09 3055RL, and I tow it with a 2011 Ford F350 SRW CC SB 4X4. The truck has a GVWR of 11500 pounds. Loaded for camping the rig weighs 22300 pounds at the CATS scale. I am a little under all the maximum manufacturers ratings. I would be over the maximum GVWR with even the highest rated 10000 pound GVW 250 series. If you are buying new, it would be a good investment to go 350/3500.

GOTTOYS

I have a 2010 Ram 2500. My max combined gross weight is 20,000# Pulling my BC3250 I'm real close if not over the limit. A 3500 version of the same truck was about $300.00 more. The weight limits did not change very much and the ONLY difference between the 2500 series and the 3500 series in the Dodge line-up is the rear spring pack. Absolutely everything else remains the same. Dodges are noted to be pretty conservative in their weight ratings and have the lowest in class towing and payload capacities of all. If I had to do it again I would have gotten a 3500 maxi-cab dually. Not a lot more capacity but the stability of the dual rear wheels would have been nice. JMHO...Don

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I sent you a PM with the information you requested!

Best Wishes!

Bighurt

When I priced out 250 vs 350 the cost difference was pennies on the rating. I got way more truck for the buck with the F350. Considering I'm a contractor and need more than an RV tug, I went with the F350. That being said I'm in the market for an F250 toy and a F450 hauler, so I can upgrade trailers!

Sundance_kid

2001 F250 SB, 7.3, 3.73 auto, pull 3300SK and Yamaha Rhino behind the Sundance. Don't know any weights, it goes it stops, life is good.

caissiel

I have a F250 heavy duty camper package with helper springs on the rear. Its a 4 x4 and have modified the suspension to match the load requirements and ride quality by adding a spring ply.. The truck is registered for 12000lbs in my province and the trailer weights 15550 Gross allowable weight.

The F250 is better setup then the F350SRW because it sits just right for my Trailer. When I first bought it, it was way to high for the old RV and had to lower the rear.

I compared the brakes and registered capacity with my friends 2004 F350 DRW and I have way better truck then he has so I feel confident about my choice as I have it setup right for my trailer. The suspension had to be tooned to be soft enough and stable.

With the standard 6 speed and E-Con programer its a breeze to pull the BC and fuel economy is great. These 5th wheels are the best I have towed. The 7000 lbs axles and G tires sure help in the handling, and that was one of the mechanical advantage I choose for the trailer. The wife choose the layout and I choose the build quality.

rancol01

Randy and Colleen Smith
We pull a 2011 Big Horn 3670 with a 07 Chevy 2500 Classic with the Duramax/Allison SB/CC. The BH is about 14800 lbs overall with 3100 lbs of that on the pin. We're a little bit over the rating of the truck, but it does a great job. We use air bags to help with the pin weight and I just added a Banks Speed Brake to help save the truck brakes and eliminate some of the white knuckle experiences when in the mountains. We have a great truck, low miles and pair for; however, if that wasn't the case I'd definately look at a 3500 SRW just for the extra spring capacity.

noobee

I have a 2008 BH 3400RL. Initially I was using a 2003 F350 SRW, long box to haul. I was not comfortable with such a light truck. I upgraded to a 2008 RAM3500 DRW, long box with a 4.10 rear. I went with this due to: 1) really wanted the Cummins 2) this configuration made me feel very confortable in the hauling of my BH.

CS

Wow, thanks everyone for responding to my post -- please keep them coming. This forum is really great, what a mountain of useful info and people with same interests!

I found this other post with a really great link comparing trucks:
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....-approach.html

After seeing the results, if I do end up changing rigs, I may very well change brands as well. I really like my 2006, 2500 CTD, but Dodge faired pretty bad in head to head pull tests with the Ford and GM's. Maybe that's why I see so many more of those with 3/4 ton trucks listed as having the Sierra or Silverado 2500 D/A.

I'd love to hear from any Dodge owners, who have 5ver tow experience, and have made the switch -- notice any difference in performance?

Thanks,
Bill

lwmcguir

All three Major trucks are perfectly capable of pulling a 38-41 foot camper. Stability and stopping are more of a concern for sure. Decide how much weight you are going to have on the pin and behind you. Then you will know what truck and how it has to be equipped, to safely use as your TV.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
BOY Bighurt, stay the He** away from the F450, holly crap what a waste of money! Had one, wait two and the best thing I ever did was get rid of them! Pulling at 6.5mpg sucks!

Bighurt

BOY Bighurt, stay the He** away from the F450, holly crap what a waste of money! Had one, wait two and the best thing I ever did was get rid of them! Pulling at 6.5mpg sucks!

Not a lot compares, mileage is one thing, but registration, licensing and insurance drastically change at that point. It's not the only option in the books but it's up there. I'm assuming you had 6.4L powered F450's, these were very poor mileage beasts. 6.7L is proving better but as we approach $5 a gallon at least in the time frame at which I plan to purchase, it may not be in production either. There are two vehicles in my signature I'm waiting to aquire, they will call my farm home, but first I have to buy the farm. it's the last condition set by the misses.

Who knows when I do go to by the next step up hauler, I maybe looking for yester years...

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The old M920 will be the first one that you see since the M916s have been going thru a rebuild program at Fort McCoy, WI. My last unit had the M916A1 and it was a great vehicle. Just about as rugged as you can get.

Bighurt

Actually both have been hitting the government auctions readily these days. I'd prefer the rebuilt M916 as they have been retrofitted with Big Cam 3, air suspension and an Allision transmission. Far easier to work on than the semi-automatic Cat and far cheaper to boot.

ricatic

The link you provided would not work for me. I am guessing that the link is to the original pickuptrucks.com shootout. This event did not have the upgraded Ford 400hp/800 ft pounds of torque programming strategy.

All three trucks will do the job. Drive them all and buy what works for you.

Regards