Elk / Eagle Ridge - tire/wheel question

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
On my ER 34QSRL, we had some odd tire wear. I am interested in upgrading all the tires from Tow Max to something else. I could not find a psi rating inside the wheel rim, only a max load of 3580 lbs. Can someone tell me the psi limit on these rims? I want to know if the Goodyear G614s can be put on these rims.

archbarb

Re: ATF: Elk / Eagle Ridge - tire/wheel question

I crawled underneath our BC yesterday afternoon to check the backside of the rims for the PSI rating. It took looking at several of the spokes before coming across the one that had 110 psi stamped on it.

Archie

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I believe that all the cast wheels are rated at 110#'s. Might have to look a little closer at all the wheels for the marking.

B

bwwalczak

Let me answer this the best way possible. On MOST E rated tires the PSI rating is 80. On MOST G rated tires the psi rating is 110. We install E rated tires on the ElkRidge 34QSRLs, so my first attempt is to tell you that 80psi is correct.

If you could provide the exact tire name (sometimes we switch) I can find the exact rating.

I do not have information on the Goodyear G614s, so I cannot answer that adequately.

jnbhobe

If the max is 3580# it is not heavy enough for G614's at 100# PSI. they are like 3750# at 100 PSI.

TravelTiger

I looked again at every inch of the inside of the wheel. There are many letters, squares, symbols and numbers, but there is nothing that says PSI, and nothing that says 80 or 110.
attachment.jpg This is a pic of what my wheels look like (not mine, but I found this pic). The tires are ST235/80R16 Tow Max tires.

TravelTiger

If the max is 3580# it is not heavy enough for G614's at 100# PSI. they are like 3750# at 100 PSI.

I'm not sure what you mean... if my rig isn't supposed to weigh more than 14,000# (GVWR) /4 tires = 3500#, why does it matter if the rim can't hold 3750#?

caissiel

Most 8 bolt wheels are 7000 Lbs axle and are for G tires. 6000 lbs axles have only 6 bolt wheels with 80PSI E tires.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean... if my rig isn't supposed to weigh more than 14,000# (GVWR) /4 tires = 3500#, why does it matter if the rim can't hold 3750#?
Your rigs GVRW is 14,000# but in reality, only about 12,000 of that is on the axles. Your VIN sticker tells you the capacity per axle.

The weight rating of 3750# for tires correlates with the 110#psi rating of a Load Range "G" tire. You said your wheels are rated for 3580# right? You can still run G614"s. BUT I don't know that I would inflate them to 110# psi because your wheels don't show the psi capacity. Do you have the wheel that you are looking at off the trailer? I don't think I've ever seen a wheel that wasn't rated with both psi & weight. Just sayin...

TravelTiger

Ray, yes, we have the wheel that has the damaged tire here at home with us, while the trailer is stored off site. The tire did not deflate, we caught it in time. Are you suggesting it's on the inside of the rim beneath the tire bead? It is the 8 lug version, just like the pic.

Wouldn't the factory know what tires these rims are rated for?

jnbhobe

Thanks Ray; I didn't want to try to hunt and peck that explaination. JON

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, yes, we have the wheel that has the damaged tire here at home with us, while the trailer is stored off site. The tire did not deflate, we caught it in time. Are you suggesting it's on the inside of the rim beneath the tire bead? It is the 8 lug version, just like the pic.

Wouldn't the factory know what tires these rims are rated for?
Tony, normally it's on the inside of the wheel on one of the spokes. I remember years ago, on steel wheels, ratings were stamped on the inside of wheel rim itself but on cast wheels it's on a spoke. What's wierd is the psi rating you gave doesn't really match either "E" or "G" weight ratings for capacity.
Yes, I think the factory might know. I saw Bryans reply but it appears he may not have understood your question. A call to Customer Service may help. You could ask who supplied the wheel.

Bob&Patty

Tony, this is the wheel co. that funished the wheels for our Horn. Your wheels may have come from them. Do a search on there site and see if you can find YOUR wheel. If it is there wheel...contact them and ask your question.

http://www.series06.com/

TravelTiger

Thanks for the feedback, Erika is the one asking the questions, tho! ;)

I checked every spoke, again. I did find this: 5134B2 16x6J

Next I am going to go back out to the trailer storage place and crawl underneath and check the other wheels for the elusive PSI rating. I was hoping the factory new this?

Bob, the link to the Big Horn wheel does not appear to be the same as my wheels.

My goal here is to hopefully UPGRADE the tires (currently Tow Max @ 80 psi) to one with a better load rating, however, it hinges on whether or not the wheel can handle it.

Erika

ultrafarmer

Most 8 bolt wheels are 7000 Lbs axle and are for G tires. 6000 lbs axles have only 6 bolt wheels with 80PSI E tires.
Mine is a 6000lb. axle and they are 8 bolt wheels, They must have different option's ......

Ray LeTourneau

Mine is a 6000lb. axle and they are 8 bolt wheels, They must have different option's ......
Ditto with my OEM axles. Since I've converted to Mor-Ryde suspension, I supposedly have 7K spindles and rubber shear springs for a total of 14K axle capacity.

Bob&Patty

Mine also has 6K axles and 8 lugs wheels. The wheels are rated at 110# Tony, I don't know what "tredit"'s PH# is, but maybe the wheels came from them.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Tredit supplies the wheels and tires. Using the info that you gleaned from you wheels, give them a call. 866-443-9907.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Just to follow up, Tredit told me my wheels are 80 psi. Our local repair shop switched out the tire from the spare back to the wheel told us it was not out of balance, and checked the wheel bearings, they were OK.

We will keep an eye on them, meanwhile shopping for replacements or saving money for new wheels as well?!?

Erika

GOTTOYS

My 2010 BC has 6,000# axles and 8 bolt wheels...Don