EVENT: Heartland Owners Camp-Out: FL, Santa Rosa Beach - 8/12/2011 to 8/14/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
My daughter gave me a good gumbo recipe and I will try it out prior to the campout.

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
Hogan;

Fantastic. I love good seafood gumbo. I'm looking forward to the panhandle food fest. Can you get some crawfish? Do you have a large cook pot? I have a propane burner, 60 qt pot and a 30 qt pot. I'm going to make the low country boil, If you can make a gumbo. Nita says she makes a great Scampi. Eric is working on something, maybe oysters. If anyone else has pots or cookers let us know. If not I might have to go get another one. Just a month away till seafood delux, at the nicest campground in the panhandle. If anyone else has a suggestion let us know. I have been so busy at work haven't had time after 16 hr days, to sit at computer and think. I think we need big eaters!!!

GETnBYE

I have a stock pot and an electric burner, not big enough for a boil but it will work for the gumbo I am sure. I will be making the scampi in an electric skillet, I will serve it with rice. I will bring some garlic bread sticks.
What else will we need for side dishes, or do we need side dishes, besides a cooler and a box fan??

hogan

My son-n-law has a turkey cooker that will work for mudbug pot. I won't need that big of vessel for the gumbo. I will borrow it and bring it along. Will work on getting the crawfish. The flood on the Mississippi has caused a shortage of crawfish earlier but it may be okay now.

MICKEY

Nita;
I'll also bring the fixin's for our favorite cole slaw. Nita tell me what you think on sides. The LC boil is shrimp, lobster, corn on the cob, and potatoes. Your shrimp scampi with rice dish. Hogan working on a great gumbo. And Eric is working on something. We need lots of drinks that cool you off, teas, sodas, beers, frozen margaritas. Maybe we could ask Eric and Dorothy to bring the dessert....say a large key lime pie. Makes me feel tropical from here. What do you think?

MICKEY

Hogan;
The turkey pot will work great. If the bugs are a problem let me know, don't want to put you on the spot. However my wife will suck the heads with the best of them. Thanks for all your help.

GETnBYE

Ok, so I am not clear if anyone needs to use our stock pot and electric burner. Just let me know if ya'll need it. I keep it in the camper so I'll have it with me.

Sounds like we will have plenty to eat. We will bring a cooler of drinks and plates and forks and paper towels and a jar of cocktail sauce.

GETnBYE

Mickey, That's a very good question! I will have to look in the camper to see if it tells on it how much it holds. It's probably about 3 gallon if I had to guess, we use it when we do shrimp, but it is not one of those huge ones that comes with the gas burner, it takes a while for the electric eye to get it boiling, but for just the two of us it's worked fine. But I can check and see if it tells on the pot tomorrow and let you know.
Nita

Last edited:

GETnBYE

Nita;
I'm sorry, I forgot to address stock pot. Please bring it. How big is the pot?

Sorry it took me so long to get the answer to the question for you.

The pot does not have a size on it, but we put 3 gallons of water in it with a bit of room to spare at the top. It is 9" tall and 10" opening. Hope that helps.
Nita

MICKEY

Kim and Dot;

Thanks for joining us on our panhandle excursion. We are going to have a great time. How can you fail when you have great people, great food, and great places to meet. We too are looking forward to seeing everyone in just under a month. We'll be talking soon.

MICKEY

Nita;

Sounds perfect for a lot of things. Everyone is really pitching in and helping out. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
July 22,2011 Linda W
We will be attending this event. Walter and Linda West Site 147 Loop 103
2011 Road warrior 3905 Ford F350 DRW along with our pups Max and Darby

MICKEY

Linda and Walter;
We are more than happy you are attending our Heartland Camp-Out aka Seafood Fest. I have been so busy at work I have been slow to get on forum. As you can gather we are planning another great time for the Heartland Group. Nita and Wayne are making a Shrimp Scampi, Hpogan and Donna making a Seafood Gumbo, Eric and Dorothy are always surprizing us with something sprecial, and I'm making a Low Country Boil. We haven't really said but I think this is going to happen Saturday afternoon to give everyone time to get things set up. We possibly could use extra drinks, ice, or something for dessert. Just chime in with suggestions, well try to coordinate. ALSO don't forget a big appetite. There will be plenty of food and fun.

Mickey

GETnBYE

Thought I would post what I am bringing so it may help to not have doubles of anything. You can move this to top post if you like.
Also, we will be going to Bay Towne Wharf in San Destin on Friday evening around 7, if anyone would like to go with us, they are welcome. I was waiting on a recipe from a friend on an slaw made with soy sauce and ramen noodles that I had at a cook-out that was so good, but I can't get in touch with her. :(

Anita & Wayne:Food: Shrimp Scampi/Rice, Garlic Bread stix, 2 jars of Cocktail sauce, cooler of sodas & water.
Extras: Foam Plates & bowls, plastic silverware, a roll of paper towels, moist hand wipes.
And of course we will bring our own chairs and any special drinks that are a must have, ha.

MICKEY

Nita;
Great idea! I'm copying your food list so I can add to it as everyone adds theirs.

Anita & Wayne:Food: Shrimp Scampi/Rice, Garlic Bread stix, 2 jars of Cocktail sauce, cooler of sodas & water.
Extras: Foam Plates & bowls, plastic silverware, a roll of paper towels, moist hand wipes.
And of course we will bring our own chairs and any special drinks that are a must have, ha.

Mickey and Bonnie: Food: Low Country Boil; shrimp, lobster, corn on the cob, potatos boiled in spices. Large jar of Old Bay Seasoning; flip flops, flowery shirt, bag of limes, shaker of salt, some Jimmy Buffett music, Roses sweetened lime juice, Grand Marnier, and Jose may join us as well. Anybody got a parrott hat?

MICKEY

Girls and Guys;

If you get a chance add what you are bringing to the thread so like Nita pointed out there won't be a lot of doubles.

I'm sitting here at my computor, which I am chained to, way too much these days for work, and thinking of island breezes, cool drinks, great friends, and awsome food in just a few short days. I can't resist thinking of toes in the water, butt in the sand, kind of day!!!

Now back to work, says the boss!! (Bonnie) What a slave driver:)

GETnBYE

Packing up and checking lists.
We are heading down to the beach in the morning.
Hope all have a safe trip, can't wait to see friends we know and make new ones.

Anita & Wayne

GETnBYE

; flip flops, flowery shirt, bag of limes, shaker of salt, some Jimmy Buffett music, Roses sweetened lime juice, Grand Marnier, and Jose may join us as well. Anybody got a parrott hat?

I've been looking everywhere for a parrott hat! Too funny.

hogan

Mickey, do you have a head count on the Topsail Campout? We are really looking forward to seeing everyone. We will be there early on Friday; as early as we can check in.

Status
Not open for further replies.