Dining area with extra rain gutter - enough room to add topper? (2011 Big Horn 3070RL)

marcapie

I just purchased the 2011 Big Horn 3070RL. The first thing that I want to do is add slideout toppers.There are 3 of them. 2 have no issues to add the toppers. But the dining area slideout has an extra water gutter 2 inches above the slideout. It runs all the way across. The gutter itself is 1.5 inches wide. The space above it to the roof gutter is 3.5 inches. I've talked to a Camping World service guy (who I've used before) and he said that they need about 4 to 5 inches and that there are rare occasions when there is space problem. I haven't talked to him again since taking the measurements. Anyone familiar with my situation. Is there going to be a problem? :confused:

I have a good picture but can't posted it yet - new member.

Thanks for any comments!

Attachments

• BIgHorn 0013 041911 (Small).JPG
    BIgHorn 0013 041911 (Small).JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I can't imagine there should be a problem. Is it a safe guess that you bought a unit off the lot? Heartland adds slide awnings at the factory all the time as an option so I'm sure there's room for it. As a last resort you might consider moving the gutter up and putting the slide awning rail in the same spot as the gutter is now.

By the way, Welcome to the Heartland family & forum.

traveler44

They installed ours about an inch or so above that extra rain gutter and it looks like I have another 8" on up to the roof gutter. We had the slide covers and vent covers installed where we bought the bighorn at Gillette in East Lansing Mich. I don't see why they would be having a problem, maybe it's their type of slide covers or something. Seems like if they mount them too low above the slide they wouldn't drain very well. Tom M.

marcapie

The guys at Camping World said "no problem - it will fit." And it did - under the drain. I would guess that more angle would be better but it seems to be fine. I've looked at other RVs and the installations are the same/similar. BTW I purchased toppers with the metal weathershield to protect them when closed (exposure to sun, etc.). During some windy days, we heard a squeaking noise coming from where the shields are attached to the track which is attached to the RV. The only place that could be making the noise it seemed to me. During the night it was a REAL nuisance! Next morning I WD40ed the junction of the track and shield and no more noise. Anything that would making them stopped squeaking! LOL!!