Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How big of a generator do I need?

1. Print this Post   #1

How big of a generator do I need?

Hi! I have a Elkridge 35 QSQB with 1 ac so I only need 30 amp service. What watt portable generator will be adequate for me when electricity isn't available?

Thanks!

Brian

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: How big of a generator do I need?

3300 watts continuous output is equivalent to 30 Amps at 110 VAC.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3
    Icantre Member

If you want to run your AC, then a 3K generator, otherwise a 2k is sufficeint. Most folks recommend one of the inverter-style generators by Honda or Yamaha or a Chinese clone. They are lighter, quieter, and way more fuel-efficient than anything else out there.
    Bob & Joyce Krull
    Forest Grove, OR
    2009 Bighorn 3385

4. Print this Post   #4

It is best to go a little bigger than you just need. I would suggest a 4K to have a little reserve and you are not running at max output. In the long run, it will take less fuel as well.
    If you aren't in trouble or causing no trouble, you aren't having any fun!! And I am having a blast!!!
    How about you??
    2014 Ram, 3500, Laramie, Crew Cab, 4 X 4, DRW, Stock 6.7, Aisin, 3.73, Lights & Siren
    "Classic" 06 Landmark Mt. Rushmore, Mor-Ryd, Trail Air Air Pin, and a few improvements

5. Print this Post   #5

Many choose to go with a pair of of 2000 watt Yamaha or Honda gennies that can be operated together in a parallel mode. Some of the advantages are; Each unit weighs in the 50# range, easier to carry and move, You can run just one for better fuel economy if less power is needed, If one quits running (rare occasion) you will still have one for a backup. Purchasing two will make your wallet thinner. Be aware there are noise level standards in most campgrounds and those open frame contractor type gennies are just too noisy and won't be accepted...Don
    Don & Kathy, Daisy Mae the rescue pup.
    She drives...He sits behind the steering wheel

2011 BC 3250 TS
    2015 Chev D/A 3500 Dually

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
    Many choose to go with a pair of of 2000 watt Yamaha or Honda gennies that can be operated together in a parallel mode. Some of the advantages are; Each unit weighs in the 50# range, easier to carry and move, You can run just one for better fuel economy if less power is needed, If one quits running (rare occasion) you will still have one for a backup. Purchasing two will make your wallet thinner. Be aware there are noise level standards in most campgrounds and those open frame contractor type gennies are just too noisy and won't be accepted...Don
    I second this. I have the Honda pair and just came back from boondocking. The pair run my 15 K btu a/c just fine and what I like is that since we were at higher altitudes in New Mexico and Colorado, I only needed the a/c a couple of hours a day, so most of the time we just ran one. I think I logged a little over sixty hours total run time and used around eight gallons of gas. No generators between 10 pm and 6 am in National Forests. As Gottoys said, they are light weight and easy to lift in and out of my truck. They have an economy mode and once the a/c is running you can switch them to that. When running a single one, I just leave it in the eco mode after it is started. I think I paid around 1800 for the pair last year. I just did a search for the Honda 2000 and found a lot of dealers that sell them on the web.

7. Print this Post   #7

Thanks Guys for the input!

Brian

8. Print this Post   #8

Brian... Like pegmikef, we also run the pair of 2000 hondas and it works great. Although I am a diehard Honda fan, you can get at Sams Club....
    Champion 2000 inverter/generators that can be paralleled for about $475 each compared to $1,000 each for the Hondas. They also sell them at Cabellas, but Cabellas gets $699 each! If you choose to go with Hondas do some searching on Amazon for best package deals. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Bret, Sandie and Sara (our RV Terrier)
    HOC member # 2059
    2015 AZ chapter rally - Quartzsite
    2012 National Rally - Gillette, Wyoming / 2012 Regional Rally -Cody,Wyoming
    2013 NT chapter rally - Santo, Tx. / NT chapter rally - Canton, Tx. / NT chapter rally - Beaumont, Tx.
    2013 National Rally - Goshen, Indiana
    2011 North Trail 21 fbs (SOLD!)
    2014 Bighorn 3570RS
    2012 Ram 3500 CTD 4x4 LB CC Dually
    w/ Airlift 5000 ultimate air springs / Curt 20k hitch

9. Print this Post   #9

Greetings! I recently purchased a 2011 Bighorn 3670RL with two AC units. We plan to tailgait/camp at Sooner Village for the OU home games but without shore power. Knowing this, I purchased two of the Champion 2000W inverter generators from SAM's with the expectation of running at least the front AC, which I'm pretty sure is smaller than the rear, main AC unit. I was never able to get power from the paralell kit to the RV from the begining, but took the two gens along so my buddy, who is an EE could fiddle with them. Long story short, after several conversations with the manufacturer (very eager to help and friendly), I discovered a wirering glitch from the assembly process with the help of a wireing scamatic.

Now I'm getting power from both gens through the paralell kit's 30amp plug-in, HOWEVER, the two units will power everything except the front or the rear AC units - I can run the fans for either unit, but not the compressors. The last attempt I made to try and run the front AC unit was to shut off the 50 amp circuit breakers as was suggested by the Champion folks... I didn't see how that would work, but gave it a shot and nothing.

I've tried to make sure all lights, and appliances were off and ran the gens at max power before tripping the ac on.. the fan will come on for about 30 seconds prior to the compressor kicking on - it will trip on for a few seconds and then knock the gens off line and shut the AC unit down.
    Any ideas or suggestions that would allow me to run the smaller AC unit off the two gens, or are they just not sufficient to run the smaller AC?
    Thanks,
    R Bryan

10. Print this Post   #10

R Bryan, welcome to the forum.
    I am no expert on gennerators, but it sounds to me like your parallel kit is not functioning like it should. You should have no problem running either AC with 4,000 watts.
    I have two Kipor 2K gennys paralleled and have no issues with running the AC.
    I would get in contact with Champion once again.

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast