Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Filon Damage

1. Print this Post   #1

Filon Damage

An old timer once told me, there are two types of people in RV'ing. Those who have made a mistake that caused damage to their RV, and those who haven't, YET.

After several years in the later club, I have now joined the former.

I carry random pieces of lumber in the bed of my truck for leveling, etc. Mostly 2x6's and some 2x4's, mostly short sections. Sometimes though, a 2" increase in height puts you off-level in the opposite direction. So I made up some 1x4 pieces and threw those in the bed, for those occasions.

Being lighter, the wind must have grabbed one of them and it tore a 4" hole in the filon skin around the pin box. This is especially painful for me, because that entire 8' square piece was just replaced by Heartland a couple weeks earlier, after my frame was reinforced to reduce flex.

A replacement piece of filon is $225 and it costs $200 additional for freight to get it to my house. Then comes the long weekend to install it.

I decided instead to find an quicker but still effective solution. I bought a RV "utility" box which has a solid panel inside, and you are supposed to knock-out the amount you want for access. I left the whole panel in. I enlarged my hole to fit the box, putty taped it in, and screwed it in. Worked perfectly! It's clearly not stock but you can't see it unless you're looking for it. I'm normally a fix-it-like-new type of guy, not a band-aid hack artist, but in this case the amount of work involved (and cost) made the decision for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff, Laurie + 2
    2012 Chevy Silverado DRW Classy Conversion
    Air Horns!
    Hensley TS3 Air Hitch
    2011 Big Horn 3670RL
    Member #1695

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Filon Damage

Hehehe, pretty slick. Not being a fiver owner, I probably would have thought that it was supposed to be there.
    Peg and Mike Finnegan, Faithful Traveling Companion Cameo (RIP), adopted furry friend Molly, San Angelo, TX
    US Army Retired, Vietnam Vet, 2017 F350 King Ranch,
    2018 Landmark Oshkosh.
    Rallies:
    2011: Spring, Canton, TX; 2012: Spring, TX; Thackerville, OK (X2)
    2013; Santo, Montgomery, Canton, Beaumont, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2014; Carthage, Mo; Amana, IA; Santo, Bullard, Montgomery, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2015; Goshen, IN; Kinder, New Iberia, LA; Boerne, Kerrville, Sweetheart, Santo, TX; Durant (X2), OK; Carthage, MO
    2016; Sweetheart, Quanah, Weatherford, Canton, Ingram, TX; Henderson, LA; Durant, OK; Mountain View, AR; Branson, Plattes Ville, MO: Las Vegas, NV
    2017; Sweetheart, Alpine, Montgomery, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Goshen, IN; Kinder, LA; Vinita, Oklahoma City, OK.

2018; Abilene, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Kinder, LA; Eufala, Oklahoma City, OK.

3. Print this Post   #3

Nicely done!
    Tim & Bev
    2012 Cyclone 300C HD 2800W Magnum Inverter, 300W solar panels, 4 6V batteries
    2008 F-350 6.4L

4. Print this Post   #4

Now that is an idea that will go in my log book. First not to do and then to do.
    Jim & Angy Hutt
    2010 Bighorn - 3410RE
    2003 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.9 Diesel, 6 spd. manual trans, 3.73 axle, SMARTY Programmer, Reese 18K Signature hitch, aux. fuel tank.

Texas Chapter Rally - Canton, TX Oct. 2011 & Oct. 2013

5. Print this Post   #5
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

Very nice! And hey, you may actually "need" to see inside there sometime, and you have an access point to do so!

E
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2016 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion High-Speed Observation Camera, SmartPlug 50amp Connector
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

6. Print this Post   #6

Filon? a new word in my vocabulary

Thanks

7. Print this Post   #7

I have lost small pieces out of the bed of the truck when towing also. The turbulence created by the nose of the fiver creates tremendous uplift and will pick light things right out of the bed.

Nice recovery on the repair, looks like it is supposed to be there.

8. Print this Post   #8
    Doug S

Nice fix. I guess I don't have to worry about hitting anything anymore, I just have to install a little door over the damage. I can see the sides of my RV covered in a few years.
    DougS

Prior RV: 2016 BigHorn 3160 EL - full body paint
    Prior RV: 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon - full body paint - Xantrex PROwatt SW 2,000 w inverter - 2-2,000 Honda Gen. - Winguard Carry Sat.
    2012 F350, 4X4, Diesel 6.7, TransferFlow 37 gallon for Pace Edwards cover.

9. Print this Post   #9

Good fix and idea.

TC and KC
    2009 Sundance 2998RB
    2007 Chevy Classic CC 4x4 2500 HD Dmax

10. Print this Post   #10
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

Pretty neat. I wonder if you could use it to store anything like a light weight extension cord.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast