Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Additives for Diesels

1. Print this Post   #1

Fuel Additives for Diesels

We are considering a second truck (F250 6.7L Diesel). I will readily admit that I've very limited experience with a diesel engine. A couple questions come to mind for some of you who are more knowledgeable.

1. What additives do you use in your fuel?
    2. Do you use the same additive year round or something different in colder weather?
    3. How cold is cold before switching to a different additive if you do swap?
    4. If you happen to have a new truck with the extra tank that treats your exhaust system, what additive do you use there?
    5. Have you actually seen any performance improvements with these additivies as advertised?
    6. Any advice on general things to keep in mind about maintenance differences?

Thanks guys.

2013 Sundance 3310CL
    F250 King Ranch Superduty Crew Cab

Tom & Millie Combs
    Sebree, Ky.
    HOC #1820

2. Print this Post   #2
    Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired codycarver's Avatar

Re: Fuel Additives for Diesels

1. Stanadyne, although Ford has one also
    2. Same all year
    4. Urea or "Diesel exhaust fluid". I bought 2.5 gallons when we purchased our new truck but have not needed to fill between regular service (I've only had two though)
    5. Don't know. I have used Stanadyne in all my diesels since the ultra low carbon fuel was mandated.
    6. I have my trucks serviced every 5,000 miles.
    "In nomine Domini gratis semper"

LIKE and use out our Rocky Mountain Heartland Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocky...89755611155362

Dave & Amy Tardiff and "Tucker" the yellow lab
    Cody, Wyoming
    2011 Bighorn 3670RL Saddle with Cherry interior
    2011 Ford F-450 W/Ford Custom Accessories Reese 25K 5th wheel hitch

3. Print this Post   #3
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

I was using DieselKleen in mine, both the summer and winter mixes, until I got six large cans of DieselMate for free. When it runs out, I'll go back to the DieselKleen. Why DieselKleen? Because it's available at any WalMarts. With the different mixes of DieselKleen, I usually switched when the temps got below 32 deg. for a while. The truck sits out on the driveway all year, and I've never had a problem with fuel gelling or cold starting in the winter.
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with Ally, the princess feline furball)
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

4. Print this Post   #4

HERE is some interesting reading regarding additives.
    It should help understand how and what they do as well as giving you performance stats of a bunch of products.

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

5. Print this Post   #5
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

Well Dave, looks to me like B5 Soy is the best. But I would have to move to ND to use it. I have used it when there and OL' smokey did seem to run better. Exhaust smelled like popcorn.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

6. Print this Post   #6

We just purchased a new Silverado 2500 HD diesel Duramax and I asked my mechanic the same question about additives as this is our first diesel engine. He also recommended the Diesel Kleen products that an earlier poster (John) did. I researched it and that is what we have decided to go with as well. Our mechanic has the top rating in Central Texas and I trust him but glad to see John share his experience with the product as well. Good luck to you. We love the truck and capabilities it provides.

Gary

7. Print this Post   #7

I have used a few different kinds and currently use one that I picked for best lubricity etc. etc. from web searching and comparing. It was quite expensive and does it help danged if I know. Doesn't sound any different, doesn't run any different. etc. I bought a gallon of it and use it when pulling heavy on my
    Cummins. There is a web site comparison of all the different ones out there that I used to pick one.
    2009 Cyclone 3950, 2011 Carriage Cameo 36fws
    2009 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins 6.7, Isspro Guages, TST TPMS system, Aux Fuel Tank, CB
    Honda Shadow 1100
    Yamaha 660 Grizzly
    Catalina 26 Yaght

8. Print this Post   #8
    Senior Member Delaine and Lindy's Avatar

I don't think any additives are need except in extreme cold weather and then only a additive that prevents Diesel from Jelling. Happy Trails....

9. Print this Post   #9

Quote Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
    I don't think any additives are need except in extreme cold weather and then only a additive that prevents Diesel from Jelling. Happy Trails....
    Not sure how many million miles we have run the various diesels but all without any additives unless we were operating at 10F below or worse. We blend or buy blended fuel (Kerosene or #1 used to blend) to get us to -10, after that we only add additivies as needed, but try to avoid operating anything more that one tractor / truck in that kind of weather.

We do use Cenex fuel here or Caseys on the road. ( Casey blends from Nov/March ) Some outlets blend fuel and others dont. If they dont and you are going to travel in cold weather then you have to add a Cetane booster. On the ranch if we get caught via an early cold snap we use 1 gallon of unleaded to 50 gallon of #2 diesel. This isnst recommended for the latest engines but works fine on all of the older ones. Dont know about Chev/Dodge but all the newer Fords have fuel heaters so the gelling isn't the concern it was years ago. You do have to maintain a minimimum tank level for some of the systems to work. You can Gell up the 7.3 style heater which is below the filters however. Found that out in a very cold blizzard that came few a number of years ago when I got cought out without winterized fuel in the tank.

If you are traveling on the hiway in extremey cold temperatues it is worthwhile to use an addivtive as noted above.
    2009 Augusta
    2011 F350 6.7 CC KR SRW LB

10. Print this Post   #10

I've been using Opti-Lube for most of the 18K miles on my truck. I bought the large economy size and just keep a smaller plastic bottle in the bed of the truck to squirt some in during fill-ups. Has it helped? I dunno...but doesn't seem to hurt. I'm not going to claim that using an additive is pegging my MPG meter, it's hard to consistently measure improvements in MPG when even a 10% difference is so small! I have the 6.4l Power stroke and use the same additive year round.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast