Some information on the Ford 6.0 engine-long post

lwmcguir

I think the down side for the 6.7 is going t be the urea tank/system. If that can be taken off (in some states) and some mods made it should be a great way to go.

lwmcguir

I would guess with any make or model you can have some bad ones, however to say that there were no issues with the 6.0 would be irresponsible, and to say that oil leaks are to expected, not sure about that either. If we're expressing opinions I'll say the 6.0 was junk and this conclusion was reached after 5 oil leaks, 3 turbos and thirst for coolant, with less than 30k mileage and I might add that I know alot of guys with similar stories. I traded for a 6.4 and I must admit that I have a displeasure of that vehicle as well, oh the truck is great no problems whatsoever in 20k, just I have to assume that one of the fuel lines has a hole in it, because you surely couldn't put that much fuel through the motor. This thing is terrible, like I'm talking maybe if I'm lucky 8 mpg it has logged as low as 5 the high has been 9, these are hand calculated and its never hit the double digits. So now I'm contemplating getting rid of it for the 6.7, maybe I'll be as happy as I was with the 7.3, don't even suggest a chev or dodge not interested.

All of my neighbors have never got into double digits either. General farm/ranch work and pulling medium weight trailers. Ford dealer tells you straight out here not to expect as good of milage as the 6.0 or 7.3

ricatic

kynewbie

Sorry for any confusion. The resolved statement generally refers to what was stated in the section. The ambulance issue for example was resolved when they stopped using the wrong coolant. If you are looking for a 6.0 you need to get an OASIS report from your Ford dealer for the specific vin number truck you are looking at. Keep in mind that this report is the internal Ford service history for that truck. Some dealers are reluctant to give it to you. Your 47 recalls question was funny but unfortunately there are not a lot of recalls to be completed. Please go back and re-read the post from this new perspective. If you have more questions, pm me with some contact info. Also, if I was looking for a 6.0, I would try to find an 06.

lwmcguir

I have had several recalls on my 7.3 engines over the years. Not one yet on the 6.0. We have 110K on the lowest mile truck all the way up to 200K. Injectors has been the only issue at around 65K. Buy the extended warranty as it will probably be worth it if you plan on driving the truck to 200K. My 6.0 engines will pull just as well if not better than the 7.3 engines and use less fuel.

ricatic

Newbie.

If you are thinking of buying a Ford truck older than 2002, they will have the very good 7.3 engine. There are a few of the 7.3 engines in 2003 models.

don46

I have been getting 9 towing and 12-14 not towing with my 6.4. I hope to get better in the future as I only have 10000 miles on it.

I think I'd be happy with those mileage numbers, to date I have not seen double digit mpg's, I remain hopeful.

vangoes

I've been getting 10.5 avg towing and 17.5 - 18.5 highway regular on my 08 6.4L. It now has 25,000 miles and the mileage has gotten better than it was new. BTW, my 04 6.0L never got any better mileage than this either.

Last edited:

ricatic

Just pulled the 3055RL 800 miles to Nebraska. Averaged 11.5mpg driving around 68mph. I am running a heavy tow tune from Innovative Diesel on my SCTX3 tuner. Works great. Since I dropped the trailer at the campground I have ran about 225 miles empty with this tune. I am averaging 19.4.

Tom of Ypsi

One thing I see missing on the mileage differences is the rear end on the truck and that will make a difference. I have a 4:30 rear end and average around 10 mpg towing and that depends on the terrain. I have had up to 11.3 towing but that was flat land and 60 mph. I usually average 13 to 16 mpg solo and that depends on the type of driving. City driving, stop and go, is worse than highway.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I have a 2004 ford super duty, as to the coolant filter, can i just add that easily? What brand and part number and any fittings i need? Kenny

lwmcguir

I am curious as to how many are running coolant filters on either the 7.3 or 6.0 engines. Probably a good idea as all our John Deer equipment (John Deer Engines) have them from the factory.

caissiel

I just got home from Florida. 2000 miles trip. The highest water temperature in the hills was 211F. The highest exhaust temperature was 932F. The best Gas millage was 11.7MPG in the south. The worst millage was 11.25MPG here in the north, and I averaged 11.42MPG. Most tank fillups were at average 35Gallons US.

When I got home I noticed that the front hubs were locked in for the entire trip.

I had my E-Con set on the A program.

The fan clutch came on 3 times for a small distance on the hill tops, most of the time the water temperature was 202F while the air inlet tempereature was as high as 90F. One time it hit 101F in Florida. Heat has never been any problem with my 6.0L engine towing the BC.

ricatic

Kenny

The easiest solution is the Dieselsite.com coolant filter kit. If you order it with the optional ball valves and 3 filters it runs around $165. The kit is very complete, great instructions and is easy to install. It takes an hour or so at the most. It is the best improvement you can make on your truck

lwmcguir

Kenny

The easiest solution is the Dieselsite.com coolant filter kit. If you order it with the optional ball valves and 3 filters it runs around $165. The kit is very complete, great instructions and is easy to install. It takes an hour or so at the most. It is the best improvement you can make on your truck

Very helpful, thanks