bighorn 3685 - How do we transport bikes?

jtw

We just purchased a Bighorn 3685Rl and don't know how to transport our bikes This is our first 5th wheel and we have always had a bumper to attach a bike rack to. We have a ladder but we are hesitant to put bikes on it as we worry it will damage body or window and also take a toll on ladder. There is a large hook inside the front storage compartment and we are wondering if anyone knows what that is intended for and if anyone has attempted to use that area to transport bikes?

jimtoo

Hi jtw,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Folks do alot of different things with bikes. Some build or make a carrier on top of the pin box, works good, some use the ladder, and some take the front wheel off and put them inside on the bed on a plastic tarp. I think some use the front compartment also.

I'm sure you will get lots more information from our other members, so hang in there.

Enjoy the forum and your new Bighorn. Also check out the Owners Club and benefits by being a member.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The hook in the front compartment is a spot you can hang a hose or your power cord, if you like. Depending on what you want to carry in the front, you might get your bikes in there by removing the front tires. But that will be about all you'll get in there. I'm one who puts a clean plastic tarp on the bed, removes the front tire, and hauls them that way if we're pulling off our seasonal site for something.

donr827

We have a BH 3055RL on order and one of the options we choose was a 1 1/4 hitch on the rear of the trailer to carry our bicycles. You might call customer service and see if they can help you.
Don

SGeohagan

We had a receiver installed on the front of our truck, so we carry the bikes there. Real easy to load and unload.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Here is a thread where I installed a receiver for my bikes on the pin box. I like it very much. Of course I copied what Terry H. first built.

Pinbox Bike Rack

BC

Birchwood

We remove the front wheel and seat on each of our bikes and stand them upright across the front of our basement.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When we first started out we carried our bikes inside the rig in the LR area. We just laid one against the sofa sleeper, covered it with a moving blanket and then laid the other on top of it. Never had any issues doing this. I always though it would be great to put a front mount hitch on the truck and carry them there. I think this might provide the best ride with the least bouncing.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Great thread. This is on our list of mods for this year. Debating on a fabricated hitch for the rear or a fabricated hitch for the front. I'm assuming both will void the warranty? Great pics.

Westwind

I have a new 2012 3070RL, we do not have a generator so the front compartment was empty, I mounted parts of an old bike carrier that was my daughter's that she used on the trunk lid of her car. I mounted to reinforced pieces of metal on the wall and hung the bikes, what was great is that we travel to Florida in the winter and it keeps the elements, dirt and salt, off the bikes. I wondered how it was going to work out but so far so good, I will have loaded and unloaded 3 times by the time we head home in May.

Can you send photos or describe more in detail? We have a 2013 Big Horn on order and will receive in couple weeks---specifically ordered without generator prep. HAVE 2 mt bikes
thanks. Is that front compartment really big enough to stand them up?

Westwind

I've attached some pictures of the bike rack that I installed in the front compartment, If I get the bikes packed in their correctly I can also put the tripod in front of them. I have to take off the front and rear tires of each bike, some have been able to put the bikes in and keep the rear wheels on the bikes, I'm sure if you position the bikes correctly you should be able to do that also.

Bighorn Mod 1 11.9.11 004.jpgBighorn Mod 1 11.9.11 007.jpg

Attachments

• Bighorn Mod 1 11.9.11 010.jpg
    Bighorn Mod 1 11.9.11 010.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 40

aatauses

WE had the same issue and decided to put the bikes on top of our TV. We bought a Yikama system and it has worked great. that way when we get to a place and use the truck we have a rack already on the truck. It takes about 15 min. to get them up there and the same to unload.
al