black tank flush system

The last few times I've used the flush system to clean my tank water has leaked onto the furnace and out the camper.I opened up the access panel in the cargo hold and can see the hose running from the fitting upwards. The leak looks like it is behind the shower and only happens when the water is turned on for the flush system.Is there a drawing or has someone else had this problem.I love the system and don't really want to go back to using the wand and sticking my head in the "head"

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like your anti syphon valve is leaking or there is a loose clamp on it.
If your shower surround has an access panel take a look behind that. On some models that is where the anti syphon valve is located. Some are located behind a bathroom cabinet. You should be able to find it somewhere and see what's up.
If you cannot find the valve you could just cut the water lines that go up into the wall. You will then have to add new water line and a new valve, splice it all together and stuff it back up in the wall.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

Or you can just take the whole thing out and hook it up direct without the anti-syphon valve, (did I say that) It works real good with just the back-flow preventer.

wdk450

Beware that the leaking water can fall on your power convertor and ruin it. A new one cost me over $200.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Beware that the leaking water can fall on your power convertor and ruin it. A new one cost me over $200.

Which is why I recommend relocating both the converter and hardwired EMS (if you have one) to a place where they won't get water from leaks on them. My converter was originally installed directly under that anti-siphon valve, which is behind the wall behind the toilet, no where near that shower stall access port.

FoxHunt

We just bought a brand new North Trail and I am having the same problem. Used the black tank flush one time and walked back inside to find the inside of the bathroom cabinet soaked and water running under the wall into the hallway. Without sounding cheesy, I'm not a happy camper. Now I guess I'm in the hunt for a Heartland dealer near northern Virginia.

RCF

Had ours replaced on our current TT, but the new one leaks too. I'll be removing the one on the new Bighorn when it gets here. Anyone know the fitting(s) that are needed?

wdk450

Had ours replaced on our current TT, but the new one leaks too. I'll be removing the one on the new Bighorn when it gets here. Anyone know the fitting(s) that are needed?

I went to the local ACE hardware store in West Yellowstone, MT., and got a 1/2" PEX push-on brass check valve ($23) . I had to also get 2 - 1/2" PEX push-on right angles ($6 ea.), and a piece of 1/2" PEX to connect the angles, to make the U bend at the top of the loop. The push-on fittings are easy to use, and haven't leaked.

Tumblebug

There is a wiki on the flush system with picts and diagram.
//heartlandowners.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Black_Tank_Flusher

The valve failed due to high water pressure. Blew the little ball right by the seat.

Last edited:

wdk450

There is a wiki on the flush system with picts and diagram.
//heartlandowners.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Black_Tank_Flusher

After reading all the documentation on the flusher and check valve, I saw no maximum water pressure rating on it. Most of these have been failing by water pressure blowing them apart.

RCF

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna pick up the parts for this prior to picking up our new Bighorn.

ChangingPlaces

Hi there.
Our tank flusher leaked like a sive every time I used it. I did'nt know about it for a while, everything was wet through.
I took it out and took it apart and sealed it up with a sealant managing to replace the curclip back properly. I left it over night to dry properly. I then replaced it and it has not leaked since, (touch wood). I now have to do the same to our city water supply which has just started leaking.
Cheer Paul

jayandhisgals

Hello fellow 5er owners. We too are suddenly experiencing H2o flooding the insulation under the heater and H2o heater,and pooling up on the black plastic liner located inside the sewer dump valve door if you feel up from inside there when I went to do a flush on the black water system yesterday afternoon. Water seems to be leaking from the flush valve plumbing behind the UDC now.:( The rig is a 2012 cyclone 3712) bought new in sept. 2012! My question for you is where did you end up finding a schematic of this plumbing system or if you happen to still have one can you share it with me please? I haven't looked into the anti-siphon valve as a cause yet but will do so today. Thank you in advance for any advise or assistance with this issue. Happy travels!!
Jason DeFazio

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are two things I would look at right now.
One, I would remove the wall behind the UDC and make sure all water lines are not leaking.
And two, I would look at the anti siphon valve for the flusher.
Let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

danemayer

Hi Jason,

I've attached a drawing I've been working on. It may not be the exact arrangement of your rig, but it's probably close enough to help you understand how it's all put together.

Attachments

• Water System w lines.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 97

curt717

Happy Campers
I have a 09 bighorn 3670RL. When I hook up the water with the pressure regulator attached and have opened the dump valve and then turn on the water nothing comes out of the sewer end. Anybody have any thoughts as to what is going on?

ncc1701e

The last few times I've used the flush system to clean my tank water has leaked onto the furnace and out the camper.I opened up the access panel in the cargo hold and can see the hose running from the fitting upwards. The leak looks like it is behind the shower and only happens when the water is turned on for the flush system.Is there a drawing or has someone else had this problem.I love the system and don't really want to go back to using the wand and sticking my head in the "head"

Not sure which model Sundance you have, but our valve is behind a angled panel in the pantry which sets on the same wall as the tub/shower. Here is a pic. Mystery Valve.jpg Mine has not leaked, but if it does it sits directly above the furnace. I'm trying to figure how to put a shield over the furnace.

Tom