Mission Tires

Pulltab

kognito said:
The monitoring system is for loss of pressure, not raise in pressure.

2000-4000 dollars can easily be spent repairing damage to a trailer if tire failure is not detected immediately.

He is correct. The pressure is obviously going to go up with heat, that you are not concerned with unless you get a tire running excessively hot and then the pressure will go up enough to make you wonder why (possibly scuffing). You biggest concern is catching the pressure as it is dropping. I guarantee you would want to know WHEN a tire is losing pressure more than when you hear the big POP of failure. It is not uncommon to have a slow leak that will eventually lead to a complete failure, that is the purpose of the Pressure Pro.

jbeletti

Pressure Pro saved some potential damage to my trailer when it alerted me to falling pressure in a tire on an expressway through Wisconsin last year. I'd picked up a chunk of something in the sidewall of a Trail America tire and the pressure started dropping rapidly. Lucky for me there was a rest stop a mile ahead and I was able to pull into it and off to the side in a safe spot for a tire change.

Had I not been alerted to the pressure drop, within a couple more miles, I would have lost all pressure and the weight being carried by that side of the trailer would have been carried on the remaining tire until it too failed. I suppose the tire that had lost its air could have eventually started to self-destruct causing who knows what kind of damage.

Jim

Uncle Rog

My wife made me go all the way and get the 8 sensor system. She was with me when the first tire blew. We bought directly from Doran, paid $590, no tax and no shipping. You might be able to find them for less, I couldn't. By going direct I figured if there was a problem they would warranty pretty easily, and having 8 sensors allows for some back up as I don't use them on the truck all the time......

lwfox002

tire pressure

I have check and yes my pressure on the 15's should be 65 and I have adjusted. Should have looked first. Thanks for the insight.

Loco

Mission with over 10 K on them

Our Cyclone has Tri axels on it with Mission 15 inch tires with over 10 k miles on them with no failure (Knock on wood) I checked with some of the manufactures about tire pressure and Maxxis, Goodyear say you can go up to 75 PIS on the 15 inch tires Cold. I run 72 psi in ours at all times. I also watch my tire bulge in my minors alot. So far they have done well. By raising the pressure from 65 to 75 it rasies the speed rating from 65 mph to 66-75 mph at 75 psi. So I tried 72 psi and it is working good so far. I do not run much over 70 when towing. Low air will make a tire over heat in no time and than blown out is for sure. A lot of folks think that most blow outs are caused by over pressure in the tire from heat. It is the tire getting really hot, the rubber weakens and then it blows. Most of them blow out the side wall first and then the whole tire comes apart. Some of you may have seen tractor trailer tires on fire before. They keep running down the road untill the tire gets so hot it lights off. This is cause by the tire not having air in it and the tire is building up heat from more friction between the road and tire because the tire is moving all over the place and not tracking straight,jumping up and down you name it. A fully air tire has less friction than a tire with less air.

Pat McFall

PressurePro Information

We have been using the PressurePro TPMS for over 4 years. We were among the original Beta Testers for Advantage PressurePro, the manufacturer of the PressurePro System. Below are some of the advantages of owning a PressurePro System.

Alerts: The PP Monitor will activate an audible alarm (beeps), indicate which tire has lost pressure and display the real-time pressures of all tires on the tow vehicle and 5th wheel or trailer at any time.

Casing Damage: Low tire pressures lead to casing damage which causes tire failure, zipper rips and blowouts.

Heat Buildup: Heat is one of the leading causes of tire failure. Low tire pressure leads to excessive heat buildup in the tire and can cause the tire to blow.

Fuel Economy: Underinflated tires waste over 5 million gallons of fuel each day or appx 2 billion gallons per year in the US alone.

Protection: PressurePro can alert to low pressure when you need it most: when on the road at highway speeds (and possibly in remote areas) where a tire problem can be costly & dangerous. Note that PressurePro now has a "high pressure alert". The Monitor alerts when pressures hit 40% above the set point.

Savings: Properly inflated tires last longer. The Tire Industry Safety Council estimates that 50-80% of the 500 million tires being used in the U.S. are underinflated.

Convenience: The PressurePro is quick, easy to use and install. You no longer have to get down on your hands and knees (sometimes in the rain or cold) to check tire pressures....you can do it by pressing a button on the Monitor on your dash.

We love the peace of mind the PressurePro system gives as we travel.

Pat

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Kognito
I have a infra red temp gauge and on my last trip the temp of the 614's after traveling for several hundred miles at around 65 mph was just above 140. I always keep the pressure at the max 110 psi due to the weight I am carrying.

5erWonk

Agree with everthing Pat says about the Pressure Pro, although its mostly peace-of-mind for me.....As said over and over it is low pressure that causes problems so it sure is nice to scroll through all your tire pressures and see them all within 1 to 2 lbs of each other. Over long hauls my prerssures are usually about 10lbs over max cold pressure.

BTW - Doran is just the biggest distributor, not the manufacturer.

grizzlygiant

I refuse to worry about tires. I am picking up my new BH 3400RL in two weeks from LKakeshore RV in Muskegoinand I have ordered four new Goodyear 235/85R16G tires (especially designed for trailers) to replace the Chineese tires that come with the BH. The cost is $699 (exchange) out the door. The aluminum rims will take 110# (per Steve at Heartland). This tire is a G rated tire, made in the USA by a top-notch manufacturer. A small price for peace-of-mind.

Uncle Rog

You are a wise 'ol giant there grizzly! You have made a sage decision. You are not only pesos ahead you are starting out on a level playing field...

randes

We have an 08 3055 Bighorn with Mission tires. Todate we have about 6,800 miles on them and no problems yet. We have been on a trip to a
Alaska since June 6th and have been on a lot of gravel roads up here. We also bought the Doran Pressure Pro TMS and have had nothing but trouble with it. At present I am down to 3 out of 8 monitors that are working correctly. Called Doran and they are mailing me a new Receiver and 3 new caps. They said it was a Receiver problem and not the caps. Should have them next week when we get to Anchorage. Hope they are right! I think it is a good system. Apparently I just got a lemon.

dljcyoung

Need some new Freestar tires>

I just purchased a new Big Country 3250TS and went from the sales lot to Discount Tires to have Michellin XPS Ribs put on it. Went through 2 sets of off-brand tires with my prior 5th wheel. Highly recommend Michelins.

lwfox002 said:
All this talk has me worried about the tires on my new 5er. Do I need to replace them? Should I just watch them?

I really do not want them to blow out and cause damage to my unit. That would be very upsetting.

Mine are Mission TC-108 ST225/75R/15 mounted on aluminum wheels. I keep them at 80 psi.

Thanks for you comments and suggestions.:confused:

cmart

Okay I also have the Mission ST 235/80R16E tires on my 3055 Bighorn. My question is, can I put the larger Michelin LT235/85R 16E on the rig without worrying about them rubbing against the shocks or anything and work well on the aluminum rims????

tstammer

tstammer
XPS Ribs

CMART,
I just made the switch to the XPS I di not have any problems with tires rubbing the shocks. I only have 1 3/4" space between the itres now. I called Michelin and talked to an engineer he said I would have no problem.
Tom

Rookey

We just purchased a 2008 2900MK and it has the 16" Mission tires with 6000# axles. We pick the unit up tomorrow. Asked Sales, Service and the people who handle the PDI to upgrade to better tires based on all the stories I read. Sales won't even talk to us now - they made their sale. Service and the PDI people called Heartland and they said they put these tires on a lot of their units without problems, so they won't replace either. So, it looks like we are caught-holding-the-bag. I'm trying to justify giving the tires a chance but at what cost? My 06 Duramax, the 5er or my family? It's just not worth the risk. I'll guess I'll be eating the tires and replacing with something. I agree with an earlier poster as to why a manufacturer would sell an otherwise nice trailer with sub-standard and unsafe tires? It's beyond me.
Mike

Sundance_kid

Rookey, don't go into a panic yet. I've got about 6,000 miles on my Missions with no problems. The 1st thing to consider is mostly just the bad news gets reported. People that have had no problems generally don't say a thing. Make sure to keep your tires at the proper inflation as that is the cause of most failures. I'll admit that there is junk out there, but I don't reckonize some of the brands, but for your peace of mind a set of new tires is cheap. Have safe and happy times in your new rig.