new vinyl flooring

eeclark48

we have a 2013 Bighorn 3585,I would like to replace the kitchen flooring with new vinyl that looks as good as hardwood,our dealer told us they would have to remove the old first due to the slide and @ $95.00 an hour and the guy that installed my backsplash said he puts the new on top of the old, does anyone know which is best so as not to harm the slide.

danemayer

Hi eeclark48,

Welcome to the Heartland family and to the Owners Forum. You'll find a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of people who are willing to share their experience and knowledge.

There are probably a few others who have replaced flooring and will likely comment shortly.

Did the dealer give you any idea of how much labor it might take to replace the current vinyl? Kind of sounds like an expensive job.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Seems to me the slide can be adjusted for any additional height the extra vinyl would create. I would be more concerned about possible wrinkles from the two layers. I have seen some cover the vinyl with laminate flooring and have no problems with the slides.

Good Luck with your project!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When the slide out rolls in on the flooring, it creates a different situation for replacing it. The existing flooring extends all the way to the edge of the floor under the counters. A replacement would somehow have to have an edge that would allow the slide rollers to get up on top of the new flooring.
We installed laminate in our rig but we have no slide out in the kitchen area.

noobee

We recently replaced our lino in the living/bedroom/bathroom area as the old had cracked from the cold of last winter.
The installer removed the old lino,
secured the floor which had been creaking since day one (crappy job by HL & the Elkhart service center did not properly fix)
& glued down a very high grade of lino (HL & other manufacturers don't glue the lino).

Great job..... the cost C$500.

GOTTOYS

We recently replaced our lino in the living/bedroom/bathroom area as the old had cracked from the cold of last winter.
The installer removed the old lino,
secured the floor which had been creaking since day one (crappy job by HL & the Elkhart service center did not properly fix)
& glued down a very high grade of lino (HL & other manufacturers don't glue the lino).

Great job..... the cost C$500.
With the extreme swing in temperatures an RV sees in this neck of the woods it's difficult for me to imagine a floor covering adhesive that will hold up and stick. There is a huge amount of expansion and contraction when the temperature swing is from 20 below to 110-120 above in a trailer that is locked up and parked outside...Don

noobee

With the extreme swing in temperatures an RV sees in this neck of the woods it's difficult for me to imagine a floor covering adhesive that will hold up and stick. There is a huge amount of expansion and contraction when the temperature swing is from 20 below to 110-120 above in a trailer that is locked up and parked outside...Don

The installer has replaced the lino in 50+ RV units in our area over the last 4 years. Each one has had the lino glued down. He has never had a 'post installation' problem in any of these.

As he is a good friend of mine, I'm more than happy to take his word!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Even in a house, linoleum will expand and contract. That's why it's only glued around the perimeter of the sheet(s). If it wasn't perimeter glued, it could shift easily and create other problems. A couple of years ago, I had to replace the lino in our house. Getting the old stuff up was easy...until I got to the edges.