Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can we get Heartland to make a change...

1. Print this Post   #1

Can we get Heartland to make a change...

I like my BH 3400RE and plan to keep it for a long time. I have made a number of modifications to fix things I was not comfortable with. But there is two things I don't know how to fix and was wondering what others have done and if maybe Heartland might look into.

We are staying near our daughters for Thanksgivings, Christmas and New Years. The last few days we have had heavy wind and this always causes the flapping door on our vent-a-hood to constantly open and close loud enough to be disturbing. If I go outside to lock it down it is great until I need to use the stove and turn on the Vent-a-hood fan. Now I have to go outside and turn the two tabs so the vent will work. It is very high up and for me, being 6'3" I still have to stretch on my tippy toes to open and close it. It is even worse when it is 25* outside. I would really like to have a cord or chain connected to the flap and go into the trailer where I could lock or unlock the flap. This is not a big money item and would be nice to have.

The other thing that erks me is the plastic fender skirts. It seems that I have to replace or repair them all the time. This is an item that I can not order a special replacement, like I did to replace the axles. I have seen on one trailer the fender skirts were metal. I wish Heartland would start using the metal fender skirts or at least give us a supplier that has them so we could replace them and not have to keep patching the plastic ones.

These are a couple of small items that would improve the trailer and would not cost a lot.

Any ideas??

BC
    Travel safe & may God bless
    Bob Curry & Trevor
    2016 F350 CC SRW LB 4WD
    Ruby Red 08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948
    Mor/Ryde 7k IS, 8k DB * 17.5 Rims w/G114 GY Tires
    Bigfoot Auto Leveling
    Escapee 96030 * Fulltime since 10-08-2007
    Club Member # 1081

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Can we get Heartland to make a change...

I agree with you there are a number of things Heartland could do that as new owners we end up doing ourselves at a much higher cost than they could do on the production line. Cost is usually the response, and if they think that's true, at least offer these improvements as options. We had a Class C that had a lever attached to a rod that was used to open and close the vent... Simple but effective.
    Terry & June

Rallys/Campouts
    2013: Williston, FL: Montgomery, TX: Elephant Butte, NM: Colorado Springs, CO: Chatham, IL
    2014: Rifle, CO: Huachuca City, AZ
    2015: Quartzite, AZ: Moab, UT: Heber City, UT: Central City, CO: Camp Verde, AZ
    2016: Tucson, AZ

3. Print this Post   #3

I have asked Heartland to do something about this several times, but as of now it has not happened. I had a truck camper way back in 1975 and it had a simple chain that when released it open the vent and turned on the fan, I cannot understand why Heartland with their creative engineers can not seem to come up with an idea that could be better. I believe a joint effort between Heartland and Fantastic Fan people they could come up with a great solution that could be spread across the RV industry.

dave

4. Print this Post   #4
    Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired 2psnapod2's Avatar

I have yet to ever open my fan cover. Never seems to bother the fan. It is too tall for me and I have not figured a good way to open and close it with little effort. So it will stay closed for now.
    Michael and (Kelly) Barnett
    San Antonio TX
    HOC @1817
    2010 Ford F350 6.4 liter Lariat Dually FX4

2011 Inaugural MS/AL Rally- Newsite, MS
    2012 GA Rally- Elko, GA
    2012 Spring MS/AL Rally- Gulf Shore, AL

Follow us on our adventures!!! Our Blog Website is http://rvthereyetchronicles.wordpress.com/

5. Print this Post   #5

My 2011 Landmark has the Amana convection microwave with integrated fan. It vents out the top of the microwave; it does not vent outside the unit. I leave the outside flapper locked down all the time.

When I first got the Landmark, there was no flow to the outside vent (flapper never moved no matter what the fan speed). Upon closer inspection (up on a ladder), I found no flow to the outside and all flow just recirculating from the bottom of the convection microwave to the top.

Brian
    Tow: 2008 F350 6.4L King Ranch Crew 4x4 SRW, H&S Tuner, AFE 4" Exhaust DPF delete, Ride-Rite, 51 gal underbed Titan tank SOLD
    Towed: 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon SOLD

Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470, 400ISL Cummins
    Toad: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (yes, it has a Hemi)

Where I have RV'd

6. Print this Post   #6

Yeah, I agree that vent gets really noisy when it gets windy outside. One night, I could hardly sleep for all the banging. I have a piece of 1/2 inch dowel about 3 ft. long, with a cup hook on it and some leftover clear tubing (for a better grip) over the hook. The dowel reaches the tabs to open and close them. Except that night, my husband wouldn't go out in the middle of the night to lock it. Had to wait till morning. Darn.

Sent using Tapatalk2
    Laurie Chatterton
    (and Mike - member name: captchat)
    2 black cats - Jet & Piper (they love the RV)
    2011 BH 3670RL
    2001 Ford F-250 7.3L PSD
    - BD Exhaust Brake, BD TorqLoc, Firestone Airbags, Edge Evolution, Trans Cooler,
    Curt 20K Hitch, Progressive EMS, Prodigy3 Brake Controller, Int"l Bellowed Up-pipes, Mag-Hytec Differential Cover
    Region: Pacific, Chapter: CA - Southern, Acton, CA
    Full-timing (for now)

Rallies:
    Gillette Rally 2012

7. Print this Post   #7

The vent systems might be a little different on various models. We own a BH3455RL and on roughly our 2nd or 3rd outing, I found out the visual way, that the vent needs to be open when operating the stove. Forget what I was preparing in the oven, but it produced a small amount of smoke. I durned on the vent below the microwave and ended up having the smoke blow back in through the slim cabinet on top of the microwave. The smoke was being drawn into the vent but had nowhere to go with the vent closed. I got a ladder, climbed up (if I were 7' tall, I still couldn't reach the vent without a ladder) and opened the vent. It remained open for the rest of the trip (roughly another 2,000 miles). If I were having problems with the vent flapping up and down, I would probably go down to HomeDepot or Lowes and look for something to dappen the noise. Not certain what it would be without looking, but something to put under the damper lid that would stop the noise but would not restrict it from being locked down.

As to the fiberglass and plastic fender flares and fender wells, I've been a little suprised that ours have lived without being broken considering how flimsy they are. Knock on wood, they have not broken or torn loose. I understand well though, that if you through a tread, it would make short work of the fiberglass and plastic. Good luck on your mission. gebills.

8. Print this Post   #8

Maybe the plastic fender is sacrificial. When something damages the plastic, it probably breaks without affecting the sidewall. I wonder if a metal fender would do the same.

On the other hand, it'd be nice if there was some reinforcement around the mounting holes so they didn't fracture so easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

9. Print this Post   #9
    Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired TandT's Avatar

I completely agree that the range hood vent flap could be improved.
    We had a push-pull lever over the stove on a former truck camper years ago that worked well. So the technology is out there.
    I currently use an awning hook to lock and unlock the outside tabs on my BH range vent.
    However, as Laurie said, it's a pita to get up in the middle of the night when it starts banging in the wind, to go out to lock it.

Dan,
    I agree the fender skirts should be beefed up a little thicker in the molding process, at the points where the screws attach.
    I had one replaced in Gillette and it's cracking at a different screw, just from wind vibration. Trace
    Last edited by TandT; 12-23-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    Trace and Teri
    Goodgirl, Hana (RIP) and Justine
    Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

10. Print this Post   #10

I think the fantastic fan is good. I was referring to the vent-a-hood fan over the stove.

BC
    Travel safe & may God bless
    Bob Curry & Trevor
    2016 F350 CC SRW LB 4WD
    Ruby Red 08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948
    Mor/Ryde 7k IS, 8k DB * 17.5 Rims w/G114 GY Tires
    Bigfoot Auto Leveling
    Escapee 96030 * Fulltime since 10-08-2007
    Club Member # 1081

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast