4" LED Replacement "Tail" Lights At An Affordable Price.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just purchased a set of 4 of these trailer tail lights; http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-submersible-led-stop-turn-trailer-tail-light-93263.html

at Harbor Freight for $12.99 each. They are currently on sale. Their regular price is $19.99.

I had been looking at truck stops and other places and they seem to run between $20-$40 ea. I was a little afraid to buy the inexpensive version, fearing they might not work well.

However these are great!

They are approx 2-3 times brighter than the stock BH tail lights. I highly recommend them.

They also use the very same plug as your stock lights. Just pop out the factory light, unplug and plug in the LED.

A very nice upgrade for around $50. Trace

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: 4" LED Replacement Lights At An Affordable Price.

Trace, those were the first LED's I purchased several years ago. I still have one on each side but in 2011 at the Goshen Rally there was a vendor selling LED's that were really nice and bright with 16 LED's (I think). They were a little more money but still a fair price at the time. Plus, all the LED's light for turn and brake functions. I still have the two from Harbor Freight as spares. You're right though, a nice light for the money. Much better than the OEM's.

jnbhobe

I replaced all the running lights on our rig with LED's when it was new, brightens it right up.

TandT

Whoever corrected my thread title, thank you. I was done before I noticed it didn't say "tail" lights. Trace

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Trace, those were the ones I bought 4 years ago. Still working great.

To OP
QUOTE Just pop out the factory light UNQUOTE

I took your suggestion and bought four of the lights. I wonder if you could help by elaborating on the above quote from your post? Step by step would be great.

Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

To OP
QUOTE Just pop out the factory light UNQUOTE

I took your suggestion and bought four of the lights. I wonder if you could help by elaborating on the above quote from your post? Step by step would be great.

Thanks
Bob, Basically, the light is surrounded by a rubber "grommet" type gasket. The easiest way I've done it is to push in on one edge of the lens. It should start to go into the back of the trailer. As it's going in, make sure you hang on to it by the edge. You can then remove the rubber grommet and pull both the grommet and light out of the hole. Unplug the old and plug in the new LED. You can assist the installation by using some 303 protectant or even soapy water to make things slip together a bit easier.

TandT

Winterbird,

There is a rubber ring around the factory tail light (at least on mine). Gently get get your finger under the rubber at the edge and pull.

It should come right out. There are only ribs on the side of the rubber that hold it in the opening.

After they are out, the plug should just pull out of the back of the light. The new lights I purchased use the same plug.

If they look the same, simply reverse the process and replace with the new lights.

Worse case scenario, if the plug is not the same, you can cut and splice the new lights to the trailer leads using automotive type connectors or wire nuts. Trace

Thanks Ray & Trace. I now have a good understanding of what I'm dealing with.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader

Ray, I had one brake/taillight bulb not working, so I removed the assembly by pulling on the rubber grommet/gasket until I got both out. Turns out that the connection had pulled off and once connected, it worked fine. Now the problem is in getting the whole unit back in. I've tried to install with the light unit in the grommet and just the grommet first and then the light assembly. Neither seems to work. What is the correct procedure?

jnbhobe

Chuck; spray it with WD-40 or liquid soap then just work it in its usually not easy. Good luck!

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader

Chuck; spray it with WD-40 or liquid soap then just work it in its usually not easy. Good luck!

Thanks. After posting this, I found one from 2008 that said to use soapy water and to install the grommet first, then push in the light. Worked like a charm.

Ray LeTourneau

Chuck, glad you got it in. I just read your post from yesterday.

Mission accomplished! Pushed the old lights into the cavity, being careful not to let go of them, and drew them out sideways. Getting the replacements in was not easy. The HFT grommet is much stiffer than the OEM. I filed the opening smooth and applied Vaseline to both surfaces. Still needed lots of BFI.

New lights are much brighter. I am pleased. Thanks for all the tips.