LED Stop & Directional Lights

57chevyconvt

One of my first modifications to the RV was to install LED stop/directional/tail lights. They provide much better visible lighting than the conventional lights as supplied by HL. The LED lights were a direct drop replacement with the original lights. After returning from a recent 3000 mile trip, mostly Interstate Highway driving, I think that I need to add additional turn signal lights at a higher elevation on the rear of the trailer so that they are visible from a greater distance. When there are several cars tailgating, the existing location of the stop and tail lights are not visible. I recall seeing a Good Sam forum post from a retired USDOT official how that he install several additional stop/tail lights in vertical row. For my modification I am thinking about installing one additional 2" dia LED clearance light on each side about 2 ft. higher than the existing lights. The small round LED clearance lights are available from Harbor Freight. I thinking about cutting the right diameter hole in the end cap with a hole saw and running wiring to the existing lights for the source of power. Has anyone done such a modification and if so, do you think it is a worth while as an added lighting safety feature?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I like the idea of the additional turn signals up high. A definite plus for visibility. I'm not too sure about the clearance lights but changing out the existing ones to led's would be a plus. Thanks for the post. If you can, take pictures when you git er done.

davebennington

I have thought about adding a cyclops light just below or just above the window. I think it would be an easy install and give the tailgaters another chance to see a light and maybe stop before hitting the rear of the trailer.

d.

beardedone

Beardedone
I think a cyclops above the window is a good idea however wiring it properly can be a nightmare. What I am going to do is to purchase the strip type lights and mount it vertically about two thirds of the way up and directly above the existing lights. You can see these lights on lots of recently built utility box trailers and parcel delivery trucks.