AK travel info---need info on I5 to Crater Lake

aatauses

Hi everyone,We just spent a year plus in AK (Kenai area) and just arrived back in the lower 48 yesterday--so if anyone needs information about travel/roads/routes/attractions/fishing/Kenai area/rv parks/anything---let us know.We are now going to head down I-5 to Grants Pass (Henderson Line-up) and then want to go over to Crater Lake. Does anyone has advice/experience on an RV friendly route to get from Grants Pass, OR to Crater Lake?thanksalcurrently in Graham, WA

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
HI Al,
Welcome back to the lower 48.

We live in Klamath Falls on Hwy 97. There are a couple of ways you could go to get to Crater Lake from Grants Pass. They both work for RVs depending on how fast you want to get there and how many turns you want to go around.

You could go down I5 to Central Point and cut over to Hwy 62. Go up past Shady Cove and Lost Creek Lake. It is a pretty drive though the road can get busy and a little narrow especially during the summer when the fisherman and rafters are out.

You could also follow I5 to Central Point (second exit) and cut over to hwy 62 but turn off on hwy 140 and head toward Klamath Falls. You can come clear in and hit 97 to head north to the Crater Lake turn off above Chiloquin, or you could turn off hwy 140 at Rocky Point and go out through the farm land through Fort Klamath to hit the hwy to Crater Lake.

We would stay at Diamond Lake Resort which is across the road from Diamond Lake (not the state park where the sites are way too small for us) and make day trips to Crater Lake rather than stay at Crater Lake. Dogs are not allowed in much of the park and that doesn't work for us. The sites in some of the rv areas in the park are small too.

Enjoy your trip. If you have questions or need help along the way, let us know. We only live an hour from Crater Lake.

Kristy

aatauses

Thanks Mark/Kristy,
Appreciate your information. We were also wondering about going north to Roseburg and then Rt 138 East to Diamond Lake---do you know anything about Rt 138? If you do not think that is a good idea we will take Rt 62 per your suggestion.
thanks
al

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks Mark/Kristy,
Appreciate your information. We were also wondering about going north to Roseburg and then Rt 138 East to Diamond Lake---do you know anything about Rt 138? If you do not think that is a good idea we will take Rt 62 per your suggestion.
thanks
al
Rt 138 from Roseburg to Diamond lake is beautiful with several waterfalls to see along the way BUT it is a little challenging towing. The road from Canyonville to Trail is also a scenic route and a bit less challenging. Then you have a long haul up 62. If you go south of Grants Pass to Gold Hill and take 234 to 62, there's no challenge involved other than parts of 62 that are steep. We agree that the RV park at Diamond lake may be your best choice to accommodate a bigger 5th wheel. So now you have 4 or 5 choice of how to get there. Any would be great. Safe travels.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Doug is right about 138. I would rec. driving that in just your truck as a day trip. It is beautiful though.

Kristy