2013 Ram 3500 factory 5th wheel prep kit adapter.

whp4262

I've been reading some of the posts on installing a 5th wheel hitch in the new Ram trucks and the problems some have had getting what they need. So I did a little research and made a couple phone calls to see what I could learn. The adapter that Dodge sells to attach to the factory installed pucks is P/N 82213667. Reese also sells what looks to be the same thing, and probably is, for a little less money. The Reese P/N is RP-30154 and can be purchased from etrailer.com or anybody else who sells Reese products. It would have been nice if Reese would have produced an adapter or retroit kit for my 25K Elite hitch but maybe I'll get lucky and they will by the time I buy another truck.

Last edited:

thirdtimeround

I too was having trouble from the dealer with 5th wheel hitch purchase. Dodge would not order the 5th wheel for me. I ordered the same Mopar hitch adapter called ''picture frame'' ,part#1-82213667. I then purchased a Curt Q20 slider 5th wheel hitch which Dodge swore would not fit. But looking at one of their brochures ,it looked like a Curt. I called Curt, spoke to Brad in tech. He assured me it would fit. It does !!!! Seems Dodge made a deal with Reese for the adapter and Curt for the 5thwheel according to Brad. Very nice product. Mike

scottyb

It wouldn't surprise me if B&W begins to make an OEM hitch for the Rams prep. If Reese makes the Ram's prep, I wonder how close they are to the one in the Fords? It took a few months but they started making one to fit Ford's factory prep, to the delight of many B&W fans.

BTW, I purchased the Reese gooseneck ball kit from Amazon for about 1/3 less than I could get it locally. I just used it for the 1st time and it is super easy to install and remove. Very happy with it.

alex00

I called B&W the other day to ask about plans for an oem hitch for the Ram. They told me there are no current plans to make anything like they did for the Ford.

I'm beginning to think I'd be better off ordering the truck without the prep package and installing the traditional B&W setup afterward.

Has anyone found a compelling reason, aside from the wiring in the bed, to order the prep kit?

Sent by smoke signals using Tapatalk for campfires 4

vangoes

I ran into all those hitch issues back in June when I was looking at the 2013 Dodge. At that time there just was not any good solutions for either the factory option or after market hitches except for B & W gooseneck so I put my purchase decision on hold. Now there are aftermarket bed rails by Curt and Reese, and a new B&W companion for the 2013 models. I elected to go with the standard bed rails by Curt so I could keep my current slider hitch or utilize any other brand standard hitch setups.

azbigfoot

I purchased the prep kit adapter. The Pullrite 2900 fits right onto it. I ordered the short leg kit so that it doesn't hit my tonneua cover

DesertThumper

I called B&W the other day to ask about plans for an oem hitch for the Ram. They told me there are no current plans to make anything like they did for the Ford.

I'm beginning to think I'd be better off ordering the truck without the prep package and installing the traditional B&W setup afterward.

Has anyone found a compelling reason, aside from the wiring in the bed, to order the prep kit?

Hey Alex, Either way should work for you. Since you are placing an order for a new truck, why not do the same with the prep kit. When we bought ours, I did not even have any clue until afterwards. It should not be a problem. I am glad that mind came with the prep kit already.

alex00

Hey Alex, Either way should work for you. Since you are placing an order for a new truck, why not do the same with the prep kit. When we bought ours, I did not even have any clue until afterwards. It should not be a problem. I am glad that mind came with the prep kit already.

At least if I go with the factory prep the installer would t need to cut the factory lined bed and the wire socket will be there. It's not like I can use my current companion hitch. Now if only Ram would hurry up and release the air suspension so I can order my truck.

drzr

At least if I go with the factory prep the installer would t need to cut the factory lined bed and the wire socket will be there. It's not like I can use my current companion hitch. Now if only Ram would hurry up and release the air suspension so I can order my truck.

why can't you use your current companion b&w sent me some "whatchamacallits" that fit on my current (18k)companion? Just picked up 2013 3500 last week.

DesertThumper

20131012_090842.jpg
Someone's getting excited to order his new rig setup! Oh Ya...

alex00

why can't you use your current companion b&w sent me some "whatchamacallits" that fit on my current (18k)companion? Just picked up 2013 3500 last week.

I've had it since 2007. I've forgotten the capacity but assumed it was slightly under the gvw or pin on the cyclone. Now I'll need to call B&W with my serial.

alex00

View attachment 27658
Someone's getting excited to order his new rig setup! Oh Ya...

Like you wouldn't believe. The good news is I'm only checking the Ram website once a week instead of daily to see if the suspension is orderable. Its so bad my dealer is sending me weekly emails.

Your truck looks darn good there. Love the white.

DesertThumper

Like you wouldn't believe. The good news is I'm only checking the Ram website once a week instead of daily to see if the suspension is orderable. Its so bad my dealer is sending me weekly emails.

Your truck looks darn good there. Love the white.

Thanks Alex. Only washed it once. LOL. That's why I got a white color truck. Dodge can't give you a date when it's available to order? That's a trip. What color are you aiming for with your new truck? The truck we have is a Laraime model.

alex00

Thanks Alex. Only washed it once. LOL. That's why I got a white color truck. Dodge can't give you a date when it's available to order? That's a trip. What color are you aiming for with your new truck? The truck we have is a Laraime model.

I really wanted the copperhead but it's not available yet. I'm leaning toward the darker blue/Grey combo Laramie. Our current Ram is the maroon and I'd like something new.

There is no official word on when it's an orderable option. My dealer hasn't heard rumors and there isn't much on the Interwebs. I'm hoping it doesn't get pushed to the 15 model year. The order banks close around May for the 14s and the 15s wouldn't roll out until August. As we get closer to May I might need to decide how bad I really want the air assist.

DesertThumper

Alex, this pic was taken after I got my prep kit and hitch on and with no bags installed yet. I wanted to squat the truck and see the difference since some people told me no bags needed. It was hard for me to believe them after my last two Rams & trailer setup, I always had them for driving stability and less bottoming out. Since this is my first DRW, I thought maybe I should take there word. Not at all. So I pursued as scheduled to install the air bag kit.
DRW-Squat.jpg
The bottom pic shows 30 pounds of air sitting level. The top brackets are different from the other kits due to the new chassis design on the 2013 and up. I dropped the hitch nut and bolt to the very top hole which gave me 6 1/2 inches from the top of the bed rail to the bottom of the front 5ver. I am very happy with all the adjustment I did. It took a little time but glad it's all done.
20130928_165225.jpg
Here is the prep kit and hitch I have setup below.
20130830_170911.jpg
Since you helped me mentally with my Class A NC, here is some pics for you. Pay it forward.

DesertThumper

I really wanted the copperhead but it's not available yet. I'm leaning toward the darker blue/Grey combo Laramie. Our current Ram is the maroon and I'd like something new.

There is no official word on when it's an orderable option. My dealer hasn't heard rumors and there isn't much on the Interwebs. I'm hoping it doesn't get pushed to the 15 model year. The order banks close around May for the 14s and the 15s wouldn't roll out until August. As we get closer to May I might need to decide how bad I really want the air assist.

Alex, The air bags are so easy to install! The longest part of the job is how you want to lay out the demographics of your air lines, tank, switches etc. I have the model number of the right kit and everything else. Unless you don't want to DIY. My wife helped me out, well I had to ask very hard. LOL. She is a great wife!

DesertThumper

20130910_133512.jpg
These are two different air bag top brackets. The left is for a 2012 and maybe a few years older. The right is for our truck year. You can see how the height of the bracket is shorter. The guys at 4 Wheel Parts sent me a 2012 kit instead of a 2013 and newer kit. So I just swapped out the top brackets and shipped back the 2012 back to them. It delayed my progress by a few days but no biggie. If you go this route for whatever reason and decide to bypass the factory air bags, let me know and I can suggest or help you out.

alex00

Al, those pictures speak a thousand words. I can barely get my 05 Ram to squat no matter what I haul.

The only reason I'm holding out for the factory bags is the talk that they will run the truck level when unloaded instead of rear high. Supposedly they are tweaking the rear suspension to run softer unloaded and the bags will be used to make up the difference.

That was the one thing I disliked about my current DRW. The rear sat too high unloaded. I ended up moving the spacers above the axle to level the truck.

It looks like the prep kit is a pretty slick option. Price wise it looks about the same as going with a new B&W setup when you factor in the installation.

If Ram keeps dragging their feet I'll end up going to the aftermarket for the bags. That process will definitely involve some questions for you.
:D:what:

DesertThumper

Al, those pictures speak a thousand words. I can barely get my 05 Ram to squat no matter what I haul.

The only reason I'm holding out for the factory bags is the talk that they will run the truck level when unloaded instead of rear high. Supposedly they are tweaking the rear suspension to run softer unloaded and the bags will be used to make up the difference.

That was the one thing I disliked about my current DRW. The rear sat too high unloaded. I ended up moving the spacers above the axle to level the truck.

It looks like the prep kit is a pretty slick option. Price wise it looks about the same as going with a new B&W setup when you factor in the installation.

If Ram keeps dragging their feet I'll end up going to the aftermarket for the bags. That process will definitely involve some questions for you.
:D:what:

I hear ya. Soon, you will have everything that you need for your setup and will be over. If you are not in the mood to do it yourself, you can always take it to a shop like "4 Wheel Parts" in the Sac Area. The total price was not to bad considering what is behind you and all the benefits while you tow. I saved 500.00 + by doing it myself because I made a deal with my wife. IN your case, maybe pay the extra and get it done so you don't have to worry about the install. Just my 3 cents.