Problem with Ford 5th Wheel Hitch Prep Package

Chippendale

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> My 2015 F350 Ford DRW has the 5th wheel hitch prep package, and since I am using an “early generation” Andersen "rail mount" 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel hitch, I am also using a Reese “picture frame” rail adapter which is made for the Ford prep package.

Yesterday, I was going to remove the hitch and rail adapter from the bed of the truck, usually an easy simple thing to do, but it was hooked down firmly, would not budge. I got to looking at the cover for the “standard goose neck ball” and it looks like it has moved forward about 1/4 inch.

I would think that might be caused by making an emergency stop with a heavy overloaded trailer. But in my case, I do not remember ever having to make a real emergency stop, and I am sure my trailer is nowhere near overloaded. I am thinking something may be loose in the "prep package" underneath the truck bed (have no idea what it looks like) and would move no matter what brand of hitch was being used, even if the hitch was attached directly to the prep package without using the Reese rail adapter.

I thought before getting my Ford dealer involved, I would check and see if anyone else has had a similar problem. I know this has to be addressed before I tow my trailer again. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

porthole

Retired
Looking from underneath, assuming you can't see the factory prep parts from above because of your picture frame, look to see if the framework appears to still be centered in holes that are in the bed.
Unless you have sheared the bolts, I don't see how the factory part could have moved.

Pictures of what you are referring too?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you turn the 1/4 turn locking studs to the release position?

Chippendale

Looking from underneath, assuming you can't see the factory prep parts from above because of your picture frame, look to see if the framework appears to still be centered in holes that are in the bed.
Unless you have sheared the bolts, I don't see how the factory part could have moved.

Pictures of what you are referring too?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you turn the 1/4 turn locking studs to the release position?

I was afraid someone would want pictures, unfortunately, technology and I have never been introduced to each other. I was able to turn the locking studs that hold the Reese frame to the bed assembly, but could not lift it out, it was hooked firmly, so I am thinking the whole prep assembly or something has moved. Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this. I am calling the dealer in the morning to get an appointment to take it in.

SNOKING

Undo the puck latches and pound on them with a rubber mallet. et a block of wood an a jimmy bar if you have to and start prying up at the four corners. Chris

BigGuy82

If the gooseneck hole has moved forward by 1/4", that's not good - something shifted. Regardless of what you find by crawling underneath, I'd get the truck to a dealer. I've got a 2016 with the factory pucks and my hitch goes in and out without any problem whatsoever. Should be smooth and easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nightshifter

Ready to pull the trigger on a 2017 365 Charleston and was wondering if anyone had input on a hitch for my Ford F-350 crew cab dually with the factory under bed assembly.

BigGuy82

Ready to pull the trigger on a 2017 365 Charleston and was wondering if anyone had input on a hitch for my Ford F-350 crew cab dually with the factory under bed assembly.

I use a Reese Elite with my Ford pucks. No problem, works smoothly, easy to remove (breaks down into two parts for removal).

RV-Manny

I use the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connnection2 (Alluminum) mounted on the factory installed gooseneck hitch prep with a CURT gooseneck ball. Towing a 41-ft Heartland Bighorn 3750FL with a 2015 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab Dually.
I love the smooth ride.
Easy on easy off. 3 minutes to remove the hitch and my bed is clear for loading some large stuff.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk