Switch - Interior Hydraulic Slide Switch

Westwind

Our interior Hydraulic Slide Switch failed the night before we left for Florida, fortunately I was able to close the slides and open them when I got to Florida with the exterior switch near the pump. (Heartland Please don't ever eliminate that switch.) I found an exact replacement online and ordered two, one as a spare and have received them. In my panic when the slides had shut and the pump was still running I pulled the wires from the back of the switch without paying attention to where they went. Now I'm stuck - don't know what wires to connect to what terminal! HELP - Can any give me a drawing or guidance.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Our interior Hydraulic Slide Switch failed the night before we left for Florida, fortunately I was able to close the slides and open them when I got to Florida with the exterior switch near the pump. (Heartland Please don't ever eliminate that switch.) I found an exact replacement online and ordered two, one as a spare and have received them. In my panic when the slides had shut and the pump was still running I pulled the wires from the back of the switch without paying attention to where they went. Now I'm stuck - don't know what wires to connect to what terminal! HELP - Can any give me a drawing or guidance.

Check out Page 17 of this manual, found in the Tools section, HUG tab.

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/?man=Slide_Outs/Rooms/Lippert

Westwind

Thanks for posting John, I checked out the page 17 HUG drawing but it only shows wires on one side. I have wires on both sides. The two red connectors go on the two center terminals, one on each side. I have a yellow connector and a green connector which need to be reconnected opposite the empty terminals the wires are blue so I don't know which end the yellow & green wire go, that's basically the mystery. I'm going to look on the Lippert web site and see what I can find. I was trying to stop that pump motor from running that I never paid any attention, just pulled wires, too bad it wasn't just the red ones I would have been all set on reconnecting .

Gizzy

Where is the exterior switch located near the pump. Can't locate one on our coach and would sure like to know where it is in case we happen to need to use it like you did. Also where did you locate the replacement interior switch? Thanx.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Where is the exterior switch located near the pump. Can't locate one on our coach and would sure like to know where it is in case we happen to need to use it like you did. Also where did you locate the replacement interior switch? Thanx.

It might be slightly hidden or mounted backwards. Or, if you don't have selector valves at the pump, you might not have one (guess).

View attachment 28449

Gizzy

It might be slightly hidden or mounted backwards. Or, if you don't have selector valves at the pump, you might not have one (guess).

View attachment 28449
John,
Thank for the photo. I checked again and still can not find any switch. Then I called HL customer service and spoke with a service tech that is looking into it for me. Funny thing is he has never heard of this "back up' switch. He is going to contact Lippert and also forward the inquiry to his supervisor who is suppose to contact the BH product manager. I realize this tech is the "first line of contact" and he was very responsive to my request. Hope I hear something soon.
I am just curious how many owners out there do/do not have this secondary switch installed on their coaches. Hope to get a good response from this post. I will update when I get a response from HL.

pegmikef

My Big Horn came with the forced remote control option and it also has the capability to operate the slides.

Gizzy

Westwind,
Just curious. Dose your switch look like the one posted in the photo by JohnDar? My valve assy looks much different than that photo, but it might be because of the Level Up and there is definitely no switch located anywhere that I can find. I hope there will be lots of responses as to who does/does not have this extra switch installed near the pump.

Jerry

Jimmy

Thanks for posting John, I checked out the page 17 HUG drawing but it only shows wires on one side. I have wires on both sides. The two red connectors go on the two center terminals, one on each side. I have a yellow connector and a green connector which need to be reconnected opposite the empty terminals the wires are blue so I don't know which end the yellow & green wire go, that's basically the mystery. I'm going to look on the Lippert web site and see what I can find. I was trying to stop that pump motor from running that I never paid any attention, just pulled wires, too bad it wasn't just the red ones I would have been all set on reconnecting .
Really it should not matter, your Red Wire is your Hot wire, if you put the Green and Yellow on the top and bottom you will be O.K. if it works opposite of what the switch indicates, then just reverse the Green and Yellow.

Westwind

Gizzy - the secondary switch is located in the compartment near the hydraulic pump and was marked, I also have the direction switches so that I can open just one of the opposing slide outs while operating the outside switch, it works well when your opening the kitchen slide while traveling. Jimmy - I'm going to try what you suggested, I think if I have the same color on opposite connectors I think I might have it right. You would think Lippert would have updated the wiring diagram.

wdk450

I just unscrewed the interior switch on my 2008 Bighorn. With the switch rear connectors facing you, just the left side 3 terminals have wires on them: Green on top, Red in the middle, and Yellow on the bottom. The 3 right side terminals have no wires on them.

Westwind

I just unscrewed the interior switch on my 2008 Bighorn. With the switch rear connectors facing you, just the left side 3 terminals have wires on them: Green on top, Red in the middle, and Yellow on the bottom. The 3 right side terminals have no wires on them.

Bill, not sure, but I think the difference between our Bighorn's is that I do have another switch located in the battery/Hydraulic pump compartment. That might be the reason I have two sets of wire's on both sides of the terminals on the switch.

Westwind

Gizzy - my setup is different looking then John's, I only have two valves for the two Hydraulic opposing rear slides and my bedroom is electric/cable. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

Gizzy

Gizzy - my setup is different looking then John's, I only have two valves for the two Hydraulic opposing rear slides and my bedroom is electric/cable. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

Westwind - My set up is much more complicated than shown in JohnDar's pic due to the large manifold for the level up.
Now for an update: I rec'd a call first thing this AM from HL Customer service. From his research with both Lippert and HL he learned that switches were not installed on all pumps. Not sure what decided which pumps rec'd them. He said something about horizontal pumps (some) having a switch and vertical pumps do not. I was informed that it was possible to install a switch and was provided the info to do so. I can't say enough good about the response from HL Customer Service (specifically Terry Hayes).

I was surprised that that there was not much response from anyone as to how many folks DO/DO NOT have this secondary switch installed. Anyone else that does not have one installed?

wdk450

Bill, not sure, but I think the difference between our Bighorn's is that I do have another switch located in the battery/Hydraulic pump compartment. That might be the reason I have two sets of wire's on both sides of the terminals on the switch.

Westwind:
I also have the outside switch and set of 4 manual hydraulic slide valves. I do not have level-up.

Garypowell

You might have already solved your problem with the other advice but I have a couple of suggestions if not.

1. My coach has two switches inside. One for bedroom one for the other slides. If you have this arrangement you might get a hint from the other switch.

2. But for sure the switch by the pump should be wired exactly the same way as your inside switch since it controls the same function. If you can get it out it should use the same color wire and positions.

Good luck.

Westwind

I think I'm going to need another 2012 Bighorn 3070 owner to pull the switch and tell me the wire color locations. The different variations of switch wiring is sort of mind boggling, I don't know how Heartland keeps track of what was done on what year and model. I really though by now I'd have an answer, maybe I'll have to contact Heartland.

Westwind

Jimmy - Thanks - I wondered but don't have enough electrical knowledge to know and was afraid I would burn something out. Like I said I knew where the red wires went but not the other colors on one side of the switch. I don't have the remote control for the legs, slides, awning etc., that was a mod that came out in 2013 for Bighorns if my memory hasn't failed me. So next is to connect the new switch and try it out. I'll post back the results but it will definitely be tomorrow, I'm going to play golf at 2:30 and a community fish fry at 5:00. That's more fun.