Travel Trailer Hitch Weight Reducer

Hocky54

I have a 2014 model 26LRSS travel trailer which was ordered with a hitch weight reducer fitted at factory.
Can anybody explain to me what this device is and where it is fitted, lastly what it actually does for me.

I am towing with a 2007 Ford F250 4 x 4 extended cab 6.5 pickup bed XLT trim 6.0 diesel & auto.

Julian

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sounds like something new. A call to Heartland Customer service might help but I'll see what I can find out on Heartlands Website.

On Edit! I found nothing. From the website I see that the hitch weight of your model is barely over 10% of the unloaded weight. I don't think you would want it any less than that. Is is possible your dealer is pulling some wool over your eyes?

Hocky54

I agree but here in the UK there arnt many vehicles that will tow this trailer.
Hence I opted for the hitch weight reducer fitted by the factory.

Thanks for your reply.

Julian

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree but here in the UK there arnt many vehicles that will tow this trailer.
Hence I opted for the hitch weight reducer fitted by the factory.

Thanks for your reply.

Julian

Julian, When you get your trailer, please post a picture of this item. I've never heard of this type of option and I'm really curious about it.

Weight distribution hitches don't actually reduce the hitch weight, they basicallly spread the weight of the tongue throughout the tow vehicle and trailer frames. In essence, putting less weight directly on the hitch ball.