Question about hauling extra diesel fuel

iawoody2

I would like to haul 2 extra diesel fuel cans, 5 gallon each, strap into the truck bed. Just to have if needed.
Does anyone see any problems, or hazard with this?
Thanks

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I carried 3 cans. Really never used them. When I got back home I went to empty them into my OEM tank, I needed a long funnel to pour the diesel into the tank.

I saved up my pennies and installed an aux tank.

So the point is be sure you can use the cans before you leave.

BC

whp4262

One of those long neck funnels for adding transmission fluid works pretty good.

If you carry extra fuel I would suggest using it occasionally and refilling the cans to keep the diesel clean and fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I carry two 5 Gallon Diesel containers. If I don't need them for the trip south, I add them to the fuel tank when we arrive and then refill for the trip home. They are strapped to the front of the bed along with the genny and charcoal grill.

pegmikef

I always carried one six gallon can in the bed of my truck before I got an auxilary tank in my old rig. Never did have a problem. I used it once (my F250 only had a 26 gallon tank). I always dumped it in in my tank when I returned from a trip (using the long funnel mentioned earlier) and always started a trip with fresh fuel in the can.

Speedy

Just make sure they are DOT approved containers and are not more than 5 gallons of capacity each. You can carry as must fuel as you want as long as it is in approved DOT containers of stated size otherwise you'll need Haz-Mat certification and placards.

dave10a

I switched from 5 gal fuel containers to 12 gal outboard marine tank from Wal Mart that cost $100 plus a manual fuel pump. Stores better in the bed in front of the hitch. The tank is not only more convenient, but more robust in construction. I never had to use spare fuel, but provides a peace of mind in remote areas.

TXTiger

Be aware that some locations won't let you travel with portable fuel storage in your vehicle. Places like tunnels and bridges. I know the the Eisenhower Tunnel on the I-70 west of Denver is one of those places. If you can avoid those locations in your travels you will be ok.