Brake Problem...SOLVED

HornedToad

My newbie camping buddy drove his new 2014 Sundance 3400QB 250 miles home from the dealer last night without incident. He had a new Curt hitch and 7 way plug installed by a local trailer shop last Saturday.

He was headed to work this morning with plans to take the trailer to storage at lunch. About a 1/4 mile from his yard he noticed a message flashed on his display about a trailer brake problem and looked back to see smoke coming from his brakes. Apparently the brakes locked up.

He has asked me to come help him at lunch today. I'm thinking it's a short in his new 7 way plug...

Plan A - Plug into the bumper 7 way, and drive to storage
(if this doesn't work maybe a problem with the truck wiring)

Plan B - Tow it to storage with my truck
(if this doesn't work maybe a problem with the trailer wiring)

Plan C - Tow it to storage unplugged

Any other ideas or suggestions???

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: Brake Problem

First thing to check is the breakaway switch. It may have been pulled out just enough to cause the breaks to engage. Also make sure the 7 way plug is in the correct position. Once my Son plugged in the connector upside down. I didn't check the lights but the brakes sure acted weird.

whp4262

I agree with Ray, check the breakaway switch first and if that's not the problem I would hook up with your truck and pull it to storage. My guess is if it's not the switch the problem is probably in the truck wiring for the new 7 prong plug.

HornedToad

Plan A is out, he tried switching the plugs... it didn't work and the brakes stayed locked up.

Since his bumper plug doesn't work he thinks he's blown a fuse.

Plan B - If my truck will hook up and unlock the brakes then the problem is in his truck wiring, back to the trailer shop, If my truck blows a fuse then it's the trailer wiring.

Plan C - So how would we get the brakes unlocked to tow unplugged???

HornedToad

He's going to recheck the breakaway switch, but he mentioned he only saw smoke on one side???

Gary521

Get out ( borrow / buy ) a voltage meter and a wiring diagram for the male and female plug. Verify the each terminal is doing what it is supposed to. It is easy to turn on turn signals and check power. Easy to check 12 voltage hot and have someone step on the brakes. Sounds like you have 12 volts going to the brakes when you should not ( obviously ).

HornedToad

Thank you gentlemen... Problem solved.

It was his breakaway switch, he said it wasn't pulled out all the way, but I guess enough to engage.

porthole

Retired

He should replace the switch. Those switches are cheap, and once they are energized for any length of time they tend to fail. Less the $10 and cheap enough to carry a spare.

danemayer

He should get the brakes and bearings checked. If it was smoking for a while he may have damage.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Better yet, make sure the cable is NOT catching on something when turning. There are several thing on a hitch that will cause this. A hard right turn will be the worst. You need to hook up the coach and check this in a large parking lot before it happens again.

HornedToad

Better yet, make sure the cable is NOT catching on something when turning. There are several thing on a hitch that will cause this. A hard right turn will be the worst. You need to hook up the coach and check this in a large parking lot before it happens again.

The problem was his breakaway cable was hooked to the hitch rail (by the dealer) and on right turns was pulled taunt by the hitch release lever. Got a length of cable so he could hook up to the truck bed tie down in the front corner.

He should get the brakes and bearings checked. If it was smoking for a while he may have damage.

He said the display flashed about 1000 yards from his office and with the brakes smoking he was able to pull in and park. Suggested he take his trailer to Midland Muffler & Brake for a look see, which happens to be just down the street from his yard.

He should replace the switch. Those switches are cheap, and once they are energized for any length of time they tend to fail. Less the $10 and cheap enough to carry a spare.

Found a Fastway breakaway switch on eTrailer, ordering two, got an extra for me to carry.

Thanks All!!!

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I had the same issue with my break-away cable - too much slack and it got caught and then pulled my brakes - I was able to find it before going any distance. I replaced my cable with a coiled version

zip3.jpg

HornedToad

Suggested he take his trailer to Midland Muffler & Brake for a look see...

All the local RV shops have waiting list for service, so he tried to take it to a couple of different automotive brake shops... they don't work on trailers. Finally got it in to an oil field trailer sales & service yard and all is well.

Gary521

Get a breakaway cable that looks like a coiled telephone cord. Several RV outlets carry them. This keeps it out of the way from being snagged.