MD to SD in a few weeks...which route???

ksmith555

We are taking our first major RV trip in late July. Hauling our Cyclone from southern MD out to Sturgis, SD for the rally and then the week after to see the sites once the crowds are gone. I'm researching the route now and I have been searching this forum for tips and have found a good app to try from a mention on here...RV Parky....but would like to see if anyone has insight into whether I-80W or I-90W would be a better bet for us? Seeing the Chicago area on the map for 90 makes me a little nervous, but overall just looking for the least stressful journey possible with easy access to RV friendly fuel stops. I'd like to trust my app but know from experience that the further west we get the worse my Verizon service will get! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

danemayer

I would avoid Chicago as much as possible. You can take I80 and then go north on I29 to Sioux Falls. Last summer we had good Verizon service on I80 from Michigan to western Nebraska where I76 splits off into Colorado.

Kbvols

I agree with Dan would not want to pull thru Chicago. My work takes me to Chicago frequently I 80 will keep you just South of Chicago. If you go thru from around 10 am until 2 PM traffic is not too bad most days.

DocFather

Headed west from Sioux Falls, SD, I-90 almost all of the time, offers cross winds 30+ mph & they always seem to be 90° from the south and can really screw up your handling of the trailer and truck. Be aware.