New roof needed for 2012 Big Country

dbbls59

My Big Country is 2 years old and I had to have a new roof installed. No, there was not a hole in the roof but the condensation from the A/C's ran beneath the rubber and rotted the wood. It seems the A/C's were not tightened down enough. This was both, the factory installed and dealer installed air conditioners. My dealer is out of business having sold out to Camping World 6 months after I purchased the unit. FYI it cost $8300 to install a good quality roof on a 38 foot trailer.

donr827

I had almost the same thing happen on my previous SOB. When the trailer manufacturer put the rubber roof on the trailer they did not apply the adhesive properly around the a/c. Because the water ran under the roof and down the bedroom side it also did damaged to a interior wall panel. I found my leak 10 days before the 2 yr warranty was up. They paid the whole bill of $9,200. It want hurt to call HL and see if they will help you out..........Don

danemayer

My dealer is out of business having sold out to Camping World 6 months after I purchased the unit.
I think when business A buys business B, they not only take over the assets, but also the liabilities. For example, if the selling dealer had 20 trailers on site, the buyer would own both the trailers (assets), and any money the dealership owed manufacturers for those trailers (liabilities).

If this was caused by a dealer error, standing behind their work would be a liability taken over by Camping World. For example, if Joe Blow had some work done on Monday, and the sale happened Tuesday, and Joe came back on Wednesday with a problem caused by the service, I doubt anyone would argue that Camping World didn't have an obligation to fix the work done by the dealership on Monday.

Your situation is more difficult only because 1) there's more elapsed time, and 2) the cost of the fix might be significant. Nevertheless, the underlying principle is the same and a discussion along those lines might be useful. You could start with local management, but I'd guess you'll end up talking to their corporate management.

Garypowell

Not an expert but it will depend if they did a stock purchase or just an asset purchase. Most do the latter for just this reason. The new owners liability is only from their purchase date on.

On the good side the old company might still exist in some form. That is have some other business thus are still "alive". But as you might imagine this would be a long and dusty road!

chiefneon

Howdy!

If I was going to have a new roof installed on our RV I would go with the Rhino lining type roof some are doing.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Jim.Allison

If you are a good wrench, you can learn how to do it you can put it on yourself. The roof material is not that expensive nor difficult to install. Search for travel trailer roof material and installation you will find out that it is well within the capability and price range that a semi talented person can do. If you can put a roof on your home, you can certainly install a membrane roof on a fifth wheel. Biggest problem is WHERE to put it while you do the work. And I suggest renting some scaffolding, but for $9k you can resource a building for a week or 10 days, the material is plentiful and inexpensive.

But another method is to take up the part of the roof that is damaged and just repair that part, by double cutting a patch of roof membrane large enough to replace ALL the damaged roof membrane, gluing it with the manufacturers recommended glue then, sealing the seam with the roof patch tape of an appropriate width, say 3" or so. Then you're back to good as new. I have used the roof patch tape and it is easy to work with and cheap also I would venture a guess that you could accomplish a fairly large repair for about $300 in material and a days worth of work.

olcoon

Don, I hate to hear this, seems like there have been a lot of issues with that coach, first all the water leaks, now this. Have you taken it by Abe's? BTW, when we were coming home from the Urbana rally last week, in the area of CW, I noticed a new "strip mall" type area being built. One of the store fronts had a sign on it that said "Thompson Truck & RV Accessories". Didn't look like it will open for a while. Hope you can get things taken care of to your satisfaction. Maybe you can just print more money like someone in DC!!!