Out with the Blowmax / In with the G614's

Boostable

After reading and worrying for months I have had enough and pulled the trigger on six G614's yesturday. One of my good customers is LaMesa RV and between that and the fact that this is also where I bought my Cyclone I seem to spend a lot of time there. It seems as though every time I am there I see someone pulling in with blowout's and damage. Last time it was a couple who had three in one trip!!!! :eek: Not to mention all the recent and continued issues posted on this site regarding the Towmax tires. It's enough to make someone (ME) very paranoid when towing.

We have not done any long haul yet, but plan to in the spring. All our travels have been in state and we just returned from Jacksonville from the Florida/Georgia game "GO GATORS" and about 40 miles from home I could tell something had changed (sound change, seat of the pants, gut feeling, you know what im talking about). I don't have a TPMS (but will next week) but we made it home. I inspected the tires and found a nail in the passenger rear (edge of tread) full puncture, nail in the center drivers side (superficial wound) and further inspection revealed a potential failing sidewall on the front passenger tire as well.

I can't bash the Towmax completely, because they did get me home and I know that the G614's won't prevent me from picking up nails.. But I could barely relax with new Towmax tires, now way I would trust patched or suspect Towmax tires from here on out.

Unlike many others on this forum, I got lucky and made it home.. For the record the Towmax's have 1,472 miles on them! Looking forward to the G614's and MAYBE just maybe a little more relaxed travels form here on out.

Jack

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Great way to go. You won't regret it. Changed my tires before I even picked up my new Silverado 32TS.

Grey Ghost

I blew two prior to changing them out ( on the same trip) now have Michelins and don't worry anymore. I'm part of the BlowMax group and glad I'm rid of them for good.:cool:

readytohitheroad

Can anyone explain why the goodyear tires do not come standard on all Heartland RV's? And please do not cite cost as an issue. This seems to be such a common issue and there are seemingly hundreds of posts on this site about blowouts. Just from a safety perspective alone it would seem the switch should be made...

Boostable

Got about 200 miles on the G's and she rolls great. Was really nice to crank up the speed a tad and have confidence in the shoes.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Can anyone explain why the goodyear tires do not come standard on all Heartland RV's? And please do not cite cost as an issue. This seems to be such a common issue and there are seemingly hundreds of posts on this site about blowouts. Just from a safety perspective alone it would seem the switch should be made...

Unfortunately . . . it is a manufacturing cost issue, plain and simple!

caissiel

All manufacturers do it. The tires are rated for the application. Personally I will never use an ST tire on any of my trailers including utility.

Joe G

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
You will not regret your decision. The G’s provide a much more stable ride especially when cornering.

Jimkke

We've had our Cyclone for 1 year and have gone thru 2 of the "Blowmax" tires. Not sure why no one is listing the real name other than that really should be that tires name. Fortunately we haven't had any damage. The first one sounded like a gunshot and the second one just went flat in the back yard. The tread slit open and the guts were spilling out. We had just gotten home from a short local trip (only 1 hr from home). Thank goodness! We had our 1 year old grandson with us so didn't need to be on the side of the road.

I'm suggesting to my husband to go with the G614 tires based on what I've read and a friend has them on her camper/horse trailer. She used to have blow outs until she converted, not sure what tire she previously had. It sounds like we'll have to buy new wheels too since we were told our wheels are rated at 80 PSI.

Does anyone out there have a favorite source for tires and wheels???

Karen

2014 3110 Cyclone
2015 F350 Ford Diesel

danemayer

Hi Jimkke,

Some people think it's clever to refer to Towmax tires as Blowmax. I wonder if anyone looks at their tires and breathes a sigh of relief that they have Towmax, not Blowmax on the sidewall.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are several sources for new wheels and tires that many of us have used. I got some 17.5 Goodyear G114 H rated tires and wheels from these folks www.trailertiresandwheels.com Their price was right and if you are going to upgrade to a G rated tire and have to buy new wheels and tires it costs no more to go ahead and get the H rated G114s. They have a heavier carrying capacity and makes us feel much safer. That is our feeling on it.

Ron-Cookie

Before buying new tires AND rims check your rims yourself... It is engraved on one of the spokes on the inside of the rim... My rims said 110 pounds so I went with Sailin S637's and love them... I put over 6000 miles on them this summer taking in Goshen and other favorite sites and it was relaxing knowing that my RV had good paws on the ground... BTW before you buy make sure you have enough clearance on your RV... Especially between the axles.. You probably don't want the expense of moving the axles as well... 17.5 wheels would not fit on my Sundance without moving the axles!

Jv75353

We replaced all seven tires on our Cyclone 4000 last Saturday with G614's. We only had around 500 miles on the Towmax tires no trips only back and forth to the dealer. We are leaving for Kansas in 9 days and did not want to have to worry about the tires. Haven't towed it very far with the new G614's yet, but it seems to tow a little easier. Looking forward to our first trip in our new Cyclone.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'm a big believer in Discount Tires with their road hazard warranty and no questions asked policy of replacing tires when necessary. With free flat repair, free rotation and balancing, their prices are comparable to anyone's.

jmgratz

Before buying new tires AND rims check your rims yourself... It is engraved on one of the spokes on the inside of the rim... My rims said 110 pounds so I went with Sailin S637's and love them... I put over 6000 miles on them this summer taking in Goshen and other favorite sites and it was relaxing knowing that my RV had good paws on the ground... BTW before you buy make sure you have enough clearance on your RV... Especially between the axles.. You probably don't want the expense of moving the axles as well... 17.5 wheels would not fit on my Sundance without moving the axles!

It is strange but the diameter of the 16" Goodyear G614 and the 17.5" Goodyear G114 are the same. The G614 is G rated and the G114 is H rated. So if the G614 fits the G114 will fit.

GWRam

I'm a big believer in Discount Tires with their road hazard warranty and no questions asked policy of replacing tires when necessary. With free flat repair, free rotation and balancing, their prices are comparable to anyone's.

I like Discount tire also for my cars. Our local location will not do any tire over 80psi anymore. They wont tell me why. They did my 125psi continentals in the past but not any more. It may just be my local store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I quit going to Discount Tire (for truck tires) back when I was trying to buy 8 to 10 ply tires for my trucks (for hauling a heavy trailer) and they didn't carry anything over a 6-ply.

That was 10 or 12 years ago . . . maybe that has changed since then.

I've been getting all of my truck tires from Peerless or Big O tires.

vicrider

I had 2 blowouts and 2 that developed blisters on the inside of the rims. I switched to geostar tires. Les Schwab ordered them for me. 235 85 16, 14 ply metal casing. My 3585 pulls so much better, way less sway in corners and wind. 3000 miles and no issues.

wkcox

Got mine for my RW415 last summer at my local Discount Tires store in Clermont, Florida, and couldn't be happier. Great service; they plug my passenger car tires for free. My rig is very long and they accommodated it well. After changing a Blowmax blowout on the side of I-95 with my son, I am happy to have the GoodYears. I would gladly pay for quality up front at the dealership. It was never given as an option.

jmgratz

Our local Discount Tire (national chain) will not inflate more than 80 psi either. They say it is for the safety of their employees. I have mentioned that when the inflation calls for 110 psi or even 125 psi on an H rated tire and they only inflate to 80 psi then they send a customer out with a under-inflated tire. So what about the safety of the customer. The local one will let me inflate the tire to over 80 psi but they will not let their employees do it. How stupid.