Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery Box

1. Print this Post   #1

Battery Box

I have the 2009 Sundance 2900mk. I'm really pleased with it so far but there is one thing that I believe Heartland should have put more thought into.

The battery is in the front storage area on the right side. A square hole was cut in the metal floor and a plastic battery box was recessed in the hole so that approximately 1/3 of the battery is above the floor and the other 2/3 is below the floor area. It has a plastic cover that is vented.

This is a very poor design for those like me who want to eventually replace the single 12 volt battery with two (or more) 6 volt (golf cart) batteries. A better design would have been not to cut the hole in the floor. Because the hole is between the back storage wall and the leg post (tucked in the corner) it's impossible to make the hole wider to accommodate a second battery. It would have been better just to have the battery box sitting on the floor (with tie-downs holding it in place).

Has anyone put two 6 volts in their sundance and how did you do it?

2. Print this Post   #2
    Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired Freckles's Avatar

I agree with poor design!! My dealer even gave up trying to install cover.The connection strip for all the wiring is in a bad location.reroute of wiring should help this problem.If you do a search for 6 volt battery you should find alot of info.
    2013 Bighorn 3010re
    2008 Sundance 2900MK #0414 ( Retired)

2002 2500HD GMC 8.1 Allison

TST TPMS

nysheartlandchapter@yahoo.com

Greg & Beth Dean
    Retired founding New York Heartland Chapter Leaders (2009-2015)
    Heartland Owners Club Member 1384

3. Print this Post   #3

we also have the 2009 Sundance 2900MK, which we love. we ordered a second 12V battery from the dealer and then installed 4 6v batteries in the same area. we equipped each set with a battery disconnect. we do a lot of boondocking and needed the extra power. The one drawback is that is supposed to be the clothes chute area which is useless to us since it is full of batteries.

4. Print this Post   #4

Generator

We bought a generator last week and just filled with oil and gas and gave it a try today. Checked it out runs great its not as quite as a Honda.The Honda 1000eu list at 59db and about $800. I bought a UST 1200 from Wal-Mart list at 67db and with taxs $207. We also saw that the Honda dc amp charge is 8.5 amps and the UST dc amp charge is at 10 amps.I hope this fill my need for battery charging. I'm a person that would say you get what you pay for!!! Time will tell !!!
    2013 Bighorn 3010re

TST TPMS

Greg & Beth Dean

5. Print this Post   #5

I had two 6 volt batteries put in my 2009 2012RE at the dealership. They installed a big plastic box that had the batteries end to end which wasted a bunch of space. What i did is I ended up throwing up the plastic box, and putting the one battery back in the factory location and the other one in front of it (it just fit). I cut some plastic to ensure the front leg mechanism didn't rub on the side of the battery, but it worked great. I then rigged a ratchet strap across the two of them to snug it down.

6. Print this Post   #6

How did you hook the batteries up? Is there any chance of these batteries doing damage to your electrical system?

7. Print this Post   #7

Quote Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
    We bought a generator last week and just filled with oil and gas and gave it a try today. Checked it out runs great its not as quite as a Honda.The Honda 1000eu list at 59db and about $800. I bought a UST 1200 from Wal-Mart list at 67db and with taxs $207. We also saw that the Honda dc amp charge is 8.5 amps and the UST dc amp charge is at 10 amps.I hope this fill my need for battery charging. I'm a person that would say you get what you pay for!!! Time will tell !!!
    Freckles, It will take forever to put any useful amount of juice back in your batteries at 10 amps per hour. At the very least pick up a cheap automotive charger and run that with the generator. Lets say you get a 50 amp charger and run it for an hour, it would take 5 hours to get that same 50 amps back at 10 amps.
    Happy charging.
    TimK
    3400 rl 3500 ram

8. Print this Post   #8

TimK : Thank you for the info .I had posted a ? after this post regarding the best way to charge. Most threads came back saying to plug camper to generator and charge using camper convert !! Battery will not over charge doing it this way.
    2013 Bighorn 3010re

TST TPMS

Greg & Beth Dean

9. Print this Post   #9

secibd battery box

I had the dealer mount a second box next to the recessed box and anchored it with the box straps and plumbed in a second vent. It is on a different level but it works. They screw the first lid of the cover down for venting purposes, I just use a bungy as I disconnet and remove my batteries each time when I return. The cost of the 6 volts and also just keeping them on charge with the battery tender is my logic. rod

10. Print this Post   #10

Re: Battery Box

I agree but it is not that big of a problem. Just buy another batery box with tie-down straps and mount it to the left of the original. You will need a cover/lod and then a pvc fitting to add a second fume exhaust tied into the single vent hose that should have been installed on the first battery. Two six volts make quite a difference when dry camping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast