If you are thinking of purchasing a Big Horn....

For those considering purchasing a new Big Horn, we tookpossession of our 2014 Big Horn 1 year ago. We had it built to our specs and I absolutely love the floor plan andstorage. We have had our share of issueswith this particular rig, some of them were serious. Before I list the issues, I have to add 2important things. 1. We spend a large amount of time in a large RVResort and have talked to many RVers who have owned or currently own a BigHorn. Everyone has really liked theirBig Horn and did not have the issues we have had with ours. 2. Heartland has been very good to us and has fixed and/or covered the costof fixing the issues we have had. Things that we had to have fixed or replaced were; the kitchen faucetsprayer broke, the original steps to the unit were used/old/in bad shape andhad to be replaced, the shower leaked into the storage below (pipe support wasmissing and drain pipe separated), the brackets for the gray tank 1 and 2supports broke and the tanks fell into the belly leaking water into our enclosedunderbelly ruining the insulation and yeti package. We ordered a booth instead of the dinette (wewanted the extra sleeping space for guests). I don’t recommend the booth, it is not built well. It does not match the quality of the rest ofthe rig, which I think is very good. Therewere a few other less serious problems that needed fixing, but they were notissues that were going to threaten the integrity of the coach. We were fortunate that we have great on-siteRV repair technicians who were able to fix our problems. Heartland not only reimbursed us foreverything the technicians did, but they went a step further by returning ourBig Horn to the factory to complete all repairs this past winter. When we returned to our RV Resort thisspring, we started off with a leak in the back flush valve 2 days before warrantyexpired. Again, Heartland stepped forwardand paid for the repairs. I think Heartland has done an awesome job oftaking care of us, I just wish they wouldn’t have had to. Greg Legatt was great to work with and I haveto give Heartland very high marks for taking good care of us. I really do like our Big Horn, I just hopethis is the end of our issues and that we can really begin to enjoy our BigHorn for the season.

dbbls59

The issues don't stop when the warranty expires. Our warranty expired almost 2 years ago and we are still having issues. Good luck with your BH.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Sorry for all the problems with your Bighorn. I guess I'm sold on the Bighorn as I'm on my second one with nothing but a few minor things happen. I know it has to be frustrating to have major problems but I'm glad to hear Heartland stood behind their product.

Good to know you have had good luck with your rigs. I guess we just got a "Monday/Friday" rig. I'm hoping this is the end of the problems. I really like this unit.

DaveTyler

Do not wish this upon anyone! But sort of glad to hear it is not just me too! We also went on and purchased our new Big Horn 2015 3875FB. Dealing with the dealer was fair but I would not necessarily recommend purchasing along way form where you live or will be just because you saved $3-4000. In the end you may not save anything. we purchased our Big Horn 350 miles away and in fact a Heartland Dealer about 70 miles away. First time out and hooked the flush up to one of two black tanks and water flooded the storage/basement area. Ended up after a few hours of research that a 1/2 inch water line was not clamped with a pex tool. Now, today, trying to fix ice maker line from Res. Fridge to underneath where the 1/4 inch plastic line crimped and is leaking. Planning on running a stainless/braided line. But please think before you drive extra miles to save money. I knew better and did not do what I say! Good luck. New to the Heartland Group, thanks to Chipendale!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, just so you know. With approval from HL, you can use any independent RV repair shop do warranty work for you. Call HL 1st and they might even have one close to you to use.

Piperflyer

Dave, just so you know. With approval from HL, you can use any independent RV repair shop do warranty work for you. Call HL 1st and they might even have one close to you to use.

How few and far between are these Independent RV repair shops usually. I plan on going Full Time in the next couple of months and won't even be close to the dealer I'm buying from. Is there anything out there that tells where the repair shops are or do you have to depend on Heartland and hope one is close by?

branson4020

Icantre Member
How few and far between are these Independent RV repair shops usually. I plan on going Full Time in the next couple of months and won't even be close to the dealer I'm buying from. Is there anything out there that tells where the repair shops are or do you have to depend on Heartland and hope one is close by?

Google maps seems to do a pretty good job of finding them.

Gaffer

I am using an independent shop and Heartland was easy to deal with them on the warranty claim. I seem to remember a prior thread about repair shop reviews.

GOTTOYS

In the RV park we stayed at this Winter in Benson, AZ, there were no less than 5 different independent RV repair service that came into the park on a regular basis. There is also a couple more independent shops downtown. Not very hard to find someone in my opinion. I would buy wherever I could save $3-4,000 dollars in a heartbeat. Buying locally and paying a lot more $$ is no guaranty you will get good service. I bought my trailer from a dealer that was fairly local and the service was terrible...Don

olcoon

That's the sad thing about stealers...er, ah, dealers. You might get a good deal locally, but their service is horrible. There is a RV dealer close to me that I refuse to take my coach to, basically because of the service manager. His attitude and professionalism at best is the worst I've ever seen. I'll go in there to buy parts, etc. and if he walks into their store section, I'll leave until he's gone because I don't want to have contact with him. About 40 miles from us is an independent RV shop, that I would trust 100%. Doesn't sell campers, just works on them.

DaveTyler

Bob & Patty, And others. Thanks for the reply. I did call the factory and talked to customer service, sorry I did not get his name. I normally do but was nice and somewhat helpful. On some of these things I can fix myself. Have not thought of the independent RV repair guy. On the Res Fridge I mentioned, I did get it back together and it works. I replaced the 1/4 inch plastic line for the water/icemaker with a stainless/braided line(10foot) and where the line was crimped under slide I used a brass
coupling. Worked good and ice maker now works. I like these forums because you learn things and people help you. I hope I am able to contribute. Thanks for all the input. And output! Dave