2019 CY3600 - Potential Purchase Any Lessons Learned Appreciated

Smitty0

Hi, we are looking to take the toy hauler plunge. We currently have a Jayco fifth wheel. Our kids have gotten bigger and so have the toys. Dirt bikes, mountain bikes, and whatever else. We are currently looking at the 3600 series, because we like the layout and the size. The garage is big enough for a four wheeler and a couple of dirt bikes. I have been reading and doing a bit of research. There seems to have been a couple of issues, but like with any of these, there’s going to be something .With the exception of the suspension separating from the frame that's scary. And some water damage issues from the water heater. Water scares me too.

I know in the past there were issues with fifth wheel frames breaking Where the steel drops down to the lower part of the frame. I haven’t seen any posts about this which makes me feel better about looking at this one. Did they finally beef these frames up? I would hope so with a toy hauler anyhow. Bad seals letting water in? These are the types of things that scare me. Something that would be a show stopper / delaminator.

Any other advice would greatly be appreciated. We are trying to avoid anything built during the pandemic rush. And don’t want to pay the brand new prices. So I know like with anything there may be small issues. just trying to avoid the big ones.

Thank you for your time, it’s much appreciated!

Smitty0

Slide bottoms seem to be a pretty common problem. Along with the garage door lippert vs. Challenger door…something. Peeling furniture.

Last edited:

david-steph2018

We have a 2018 Road Warrior, since October 2017.
We had an issue with the inlet to the water heater cracking and causing a leak with floor damage. We also had a spring hangar, right rear breaking the weld. Another issue was we had a side wall crack from the big slide in the upper left corner up toward the roof line.
Our two ramp doors are Challenger doors. Heartland switched from Lippert doors to Challenger doors before our rig was built in September 2017. But now, Lippert owns Challenger doors. Even with Challenger doors, I do maintenance on the doors.

The frames breaking up front is called frame flex. Welds inside the front-end break and allows the movement. The method used to check for this is to measure to distance from the vertical wall to the bottom of the 5th wheel area. Next hook-up your truck, take the weight off the landing gear, look to see if the wall has moved. If it has, measure the same distance again and see if there is a difference in the numbers.

Our slide bottoms no issues, I check this 2-3 times a year. Our slide bottoms are covered with a black material to help protector it from water.

Peeling furniture will happen on the couch. It took our couch until 2022 to start peeling. This past December we purchased a theater seating in a furniture store to replace it.
What is the cargo carrying capacity (CCC) of the rig? What is the weight of the 4-wheeler, and 2 dirt bikes you are loading in the garage? Remember, what the weight of these items will subtract from the CCC of the rig.

Smitty0

That is a good thought. Looks like the overall CCC is 2140lbs. My ATVs = 1133 of it when we take those. Adds up quickly.

NYSUPstater

It's kinda sad to see the low CCC numbers on a such large rigs thinking that there is a sizable amount left for everything

Smitty0

Agreed, I guess that's where that 3rd axle comes into play. I'm trying to avoid those I have a 22 F350 CC, SRW. I can't justify buying a dually right now.

jmarnell

And the weight adds up quickly. We use the garage area in our Cyclone 4005 as extra living space, no toys, so I've never been really concerned with weight. When I finally weighed our 3 axle Cyclone 4005 at a CAT scale and did the math, we were carrying right at 2,000 pounds, and that was with no toys in the garage area. Our cargo capacity is 3,282 pounds. Granted I had 60 gallons of water in the fresh tank at the time, as well as gasoline in the fuel tank for the generator, and a little waste water in the holding tanks which all together accounted for about 850 pounds of that. But take those out of the equation and we were still carrying about 1,150 pounds of "stuff" in the rig. Yes, it all adds up very quickly.

Smitty0

Don't they put a bit more on the pin of toy haulers to balance out when the garage is loaded? I thought I read that somewhere. Makes since.

david-steph2018

Toy haulers are front heavy when empty so when you load the garage, some weight does come off the pin. But it is not pound for pound.