Annual Tire Check - Found issue with both tires rear axle

bowhunt73

I was checking my tires before my first trip and noticed the following:

Front axle both tires perfect even wear
Rear axle both tires have significant wear on the outside and inside tread.

It looks just like under inflation, but I run 80psi and a monitoring system. My camper is level. I need to check my scale papers. It has to be weight distribution, correct? Could it be anything else?

Thanks,

Randall

bowhunt73

I will check that tonight. I haven't checked that in a year or two. Thanks. I'll check axle to axle and tire to tire.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
While your under there check if there is still an arch on that axle.
Also raise the wheels off the ground and check for any excess movement of the bearings.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Does your coach sit level when towing? Could it be nose high, putting excess weight on the rear axle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchwood

If you have ever noticed a semi trailer passing you the trailer tires look like they are wobbling .I have accepted the fact that trailer tires don't wear even ..due to loading or axle alignment.Most trailer tires time out before the uneven tire wear takes affect.I turn my $400 dollar tires on the rim to get another trip to the sunny south out of them.An alignment company told me that if you get alignment it will only occur again because of the poor quality steel used in their manufacture.

bowhunt73

Both axles have an arch didn't have time to jack it up yet to check bearings but it's both rear tires so it's something common. I checked the axles Tire distance was hard to measure but it was even. I measured axle to Axel it look like it was off 16th of an inch so I put the tape measure between the axle and locked the tape. When I moved to the other side the tape touched but not as snug. I would call it pretty even.

bowhunt73

It sits pretty level. I have an air hitch so I can adjust when loaded with water and without. I'll double check with a big level on my trip this weekend.

caissiel

I had a front axle misalignment on the previous SOB unit and it was wearing the rear tires. Took me a while to fix it because I always tried to find the alignment problem with the rear and it was straight all along. The front axle steered the trailer side ways and the strait rear axle was trying to straighten it thus wearing the tire shoulders.