Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Metal carport to cover fifth wheel? Need some advice...

  1. Print this Post   #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA - MD
    Posts
    51

    Metal carport to cover fifth wheel? Need some advice...

    I'm wondering if anyone on here has bought one and can help out...we have been considering a metal carport to park our fifth wheel under. I have been getting some quotes online, and all seem to max out with 12 foot side walls. The sales rep I spoke to said a 12 foot side wall will give a 14'9" center clearance (our trailer is listed on HL website as 13'3"), and as long as we are parking in the center we should be fine. BUT I remember seeing a pic on here a while ago with someone having part of their fifth wheel under one and it wouldn't fit! Don't want to do that lol!!! Any insight appreciated, thanks!

  2. Print this Post   #2
    Senior Member avvidclif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    2,152

    Re: Metal carport to cover fifth wheel? Need some advice...

    I have an 18x45 with 12' sidewalls and have no problems. Remember the RV is 13'3" at the center not the sides. The sides are usually about 12', the rest is AC's. My Cyclone is ~12' at the sides. Realize though I park in the middle to have room for the slides and walk-around space.
    Clif KA5IPF Retired
    Millie W5AUX VFW Auxiliary Past Dept President
    Heartland Member #2831
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ Allison/Duramax DRW 32gal RDS Aux Tank
    2015 Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler w/Sailun shoes, TST 507, Furrion watching the rear, 11/19 added RVArmor(Flex-Armor) roof.
    2005 HD FXDI Super Glide in the Garage
    Tied together with an Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

    2016 West Texas Inaugural Rally Quanah, Tx
    2019 Louisiana Chapter Rally Natchitoches, LA


  3. Print this Post   #3
    Moderator jimtoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    8,918

    Re: Metal carport to cover fifth wheel? Need some advice...

    If you need a little more height and using the standard metal carport/sheds you can have it built on top of these deck blocks. I raised mine by putting these under the rails and still used the anchor pins into the ground. Since we live in an area with lots of wind I also put these screw in anchors at each corner about 3' out and used a small cable and eye bolt up high to attach to the anchors. Works good for me.

    Jim M
    Jim and Bette
    04 GMC CC Dually D/A, MaxBrake, Riderights
    09 Bighorn 3670RL #9E011439
    Disc Brakes
    HOC #1003
    Heartland Owners Club Information




  4. Print this Post   #4
    Senior Member scottyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    2,061

    Re: Metal carport to cover fifth wheel? Need some advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith555 View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone on here has bought one and can help out...we have been considering a metal carport to park our fifth wheel under. I have been getting some quotes online, and all seem to max out with 12 foot side walls. The sales rep I spoke to said a 12 foot side wall will give a 14'9" center clearance (our trailer is listed on HL website as 13'3"), and as long as we are parking in the center we should be fine. BUT I remember seeing a pic on here a while ago with someone having part of their fifth wheel under one and it wouldn't fit! Don't want to do that lol!!! Any insight appreciated, thanks!
    We bought a metal building from Mueller Inc., and I built it with the help of some friends. After I finished the piers, 4 of us put the structure up in 4 days. Professionals could have done it in less time. If you want to be able to put out the slides, you need a minimum of 18' wide. This one is 48 x 26 x 14 w 4:12 pitch. I can park my truck beside it with the slides out. The 26' width shrinks to 23'8" inside the beams. I just wanted something that was going to be around for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528 Diesel Pusher
    2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 CC Ecoboost - Toad
    2013 F250 King Ranch 4x4 CC - Work Truck
    2013 Cyclone HD 4100 King (Sold)
    2013 F350 4x4 DRW Lariat Ultimate (Sold)

  5. Print this Post   #5
    Past New Mexico Chapter Leader fredwrichardson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    USA - NM
    Posts
    354

    Re: Metal carport to cover fifth wheel? Need some advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    We bought a metal building from Mueller Inc., and I built it with the help of some friends. After I finished the piers, 4 of us put the structure up in 4 days. Professionals could have done it in less time. If you want to be able to put out the slides, you need a minimum of 18' wide. This one is 48 x 26 x 14 w 4:12 pitch. I can park my truck beside it with the slides out. The 26' width shrinks to 23'8" inside the beams. I just wanted something that was going to be around for a while.
    How deep did you go on the piers? Looks like you did a fantastic job laying out the structure.
    Fred & Eileen
    2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 DRW AISIN 3.42 Diesel Long Bed, Pullright ISR Series Super 5th 20K
    2015 Landmark Ashland

    You’ll Never See a Hearse Pulling a U-Haul

  6. Print this Post   #6
    Tennessee Chapter Leaders superduty08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA - TN
    Posts
    449

    Re: Metal carport to cover fifth wheel? Need some advice...

    I had a 20x40x16 built for ours. It was built as a pole barn open all around. I wanted to be able to stand on the roof to clean and any maintenance that was needed. They used 6x6x20 treated post set 4' in concrete.
    Bobby & Linda Eanes
    HOC# 1153
    2015 Bighorn 3260EL
    Titan Disk Brakes
    MorRyde 8k Independent Suspension
    2017 F350 King Ranch
    DRW CREW CAB LONG BED
    4WD 4:10 gear

  7. Print this Post   #7
    Senior Member JanAndBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA - AL
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: Metal carport to cover fifth wheel? Need some advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith555 View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone on here has bought one and can help out...we have been considering a metal carport to park our fifth wheel under. I have been getting some quotes online, and all seem to max out with 12 foot side walls. The sales rep I spoke to said a 12 foot side wall will give a 14'9" center clearance (our trailer is listed on HL website as 13'3"), and as long as we are parking in the center we should be fine. BUT I remember seeing a pic on here a while ago with someone having part of their fifth wheel under one and it wouldn't fit! Don't want to do that lol!!! Any insight appreciated, thanks!
    12' sides will work "assuming" that you can 1) Back straight in, 2) The access into the structure is level, and 3) You don't want to access the top of the trailer while under the cover. I went with a metal "carport" type building 16 x 40 x 14 eve. I have a slight downward slope into my building from the drive which the 14' allows the extra clearance I need, and once under the cover, I can still walk on the roof (bent over). The cover has withstood some pretty nasty straight line winds with no problems, however I left the sides of mine open. I intend on covering the sides with sunscreen material which will probably force me to install additional bracing of some type.
    Jan & Bill,Attalla, AL HOC #2576
    2016 Ford F350 - 2013 Bighorn 3260EL
    Sadie Mae, Gone but never forgotten Brandi, Muffin, Millie and Lola

    AlaMissiBamaSsippi Spring & Fall Rally 2013 , Spring Rally 2014
    Georgia Pine Mountain Rally 2015 , TN Rally 2015

  8. Print this Post   #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA - MD
    Posts
    51

    Re: Metal carport to cover fifth wheel? Need some advice...

    LOL^^^Just ran across your pic and sent a message. I was thinking it was at least a 14, thanks for all of the responses. I really appreciate the advice. The guys we are talking to now either don't offer, or don't want to offer anything above a 12 foot side. Thinking I should look around some more before deciding, we have a VERY tight space to work with and don't want to make backing in any more difficult than it already is. Thanks again!!!

  9. Print this Post   #9
    Senior Member scottyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    2,061

    Re: Metal carport to cover fifth wheel? Need some advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by fredwrichardson View Post
    How deep did you go on the piers? Looks like you did a fantastic job laying out the structure.
    The piers are 5'-6' deep, depending on how deep it was to rock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528 Diesel Pusher
    2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 CC Ecoboost - Toad
    2013 F250 King Ranch 4x4 CC - Work Truck
    2013 Cyclone HD 4100 King (Sold)
    2013 F350 4x4 DRW Lariat Ultimate (Sold)

  10. Print this Post   #10
    Senior Member avvidclif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    2,152

    Re: Metal carport to cover fifth wheel? Need some advice...

    Quote Originally Posted by JanAndBill View Post
    12' sides will work "assuming" that you can 1) Back straight in, 2) The access into the structure is level, and 3) You don't want to access the top of the trailer while under the cover. I went with a metal "carport" type building 16 x 40 x 14 eve. I have a slight downward slope into my building from the drive which the 14' allows the extra clearance I need, and once under the cover, I can still walk on the roof (bent over). The cover has withstood some pretty nasty straight line winds with no problems, however I left the sides of mine open. I intend on covering the sides with sunscreen material which will probably force me to install additional bracing of some type.
    You are correct on the approach to it. However mine is a pull thru, no back in. Fairly straight and level. I can get on the top of mine as long as I want to crawl, which for me is easier than walking hunched over. If I really need to work on the top I back out and pull onto the other side of the slab which is open.

    To explain I have a 36x45 concrete slab. Half (18x45) is covered by the RV port. The other is open. I can park on either side. To leave I go forward and to the left. The driveway circles back to where I am. There are 20, 30, & 50A hookups on the storage building with water the other side of the tree at the left front corner. No sewer, yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Clif KA5IPF Retired
    Millie W5AUX VFW Auxiliary Past Dept President
    Heartland Member #2831
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ Allison/Duramax DRW 32gal RDS Aux Tank
    2015 Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler w/Sailun shoes, TST 507, Furrion watching the rear, 11/19 added RVArmor(Flex-Armor) roof.
    2005 HD FXDI Super Glide in the Garage
    Tied together with an Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

    2016 West Texas Inaugural Rally Quanah, Tx
    2019 Louisiana Chapter Rally Natchitoches, LA


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tire and wheel valve stems - the make sure you get a metal stem myth
    By porthole in forum Tires and Wheels (For RV's)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2014, 08:53 AM
  2. New here! need advice on 5th wheel
    By Babs7 in forum Heartland General Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 02:00 PM
  3. Looking for RV Cover advice
    By Jimmy in forum Heartland General Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 06:12 AM
  4. 5th Wheel Cover Choices: NDC or Cover King?
    By rmchad in forum Heartland General Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 01:46 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •