Electric Awning Partially Ripped Out of Track by Wind - Fix Advice Needed!

Andrew37

I left my awning out and left the RV unattended, and a storm blew in. The awning actually held up pretty well, but the corner of the awning has now come off the track and I'm not sure what the proper way to fix it is. I've tried to just push it back in, and wedge it in with a screwdriver, but obviously the track is too tight. The screw that goes through the track into the awning was still there, but the wind ripped the awning right through the screw.

Some photos to better show what the issue is:

IMG_3564_zpszhimqr7n.jpg

IMG_3563_zps71errpnm.jpg

IMG_3562_zpsgpsx0eya.jpg

Do I need to remove the whole awning and slide it back into the track? Can I wedge open the small section of the track large enough to get the awning back in and then try to bend the track back? I've never had to fix an awning before so this is all new to me.

Thanks in advance!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The awning slides into the slot and the screw is just there to keep it from sliding out. To put it back into the slot you will need to slide the awning fabric out of the slot and then back into it. Then reset the screw. To do this you will need to 'pin' the awning roller to keep it from unrolling. It is really a two person job to do it. Not hard to do but cumbersome. The are several YouTube videos showing how to do it. Look up how to replace your awning fabric and you will see how.

Roller4tan

I had a smaller section pull loose (4-5 inches). I pushed it back in with a plastic putty knife and crimped the channel with pliers as I went along. Relieve the strain on the fabric by opening the awning slightly and pushing the roller toward the trailer, probably need another body to do that while you work on the channel.

lynndiwagoner

The youtube videos all depict reinstalling awnings with two people standing on the ground, each one holding on to an awning leg while a third person guides the awning into the track, Yeah sure. Those videos are of a short travel trailer. Unfortunately on our taller rigs this is not as easy as you cannot hold the awning legs without standing on ladders or scaffolding. Your project will be a major job. You will need to take out all of the mounting bolts for both awning legs plus the lag bolts that hold the top two legs to the rig. You will then need to somehow support both legs, which will take at least two people, and slide the whole assembly out of the track. Reverse the process to reinstall. I posted the installation procedure on the HOM from Dometic. It can be done but it is difficult and stressful. If you can somehow get it back into the track without damaging anything, then that would be the way to go. That track is pretty rigid, but there might be some way to enlarge the slot slightly and get that short piece back in. Good luck.

Andrew37

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to attempt to wedge it open a bit and lube it up and push it back in with a plastic putty knife as was mentioned, and then try to re-tighten the track with vice grips. Removing it isn't an option, at least not for myself, and will probably cost $1000 to have it professionally done.

I appreciate the advice!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The awning on our new Prowler was pulled out of the track at one end upon delivery from the dealer, so at least mine will get fixed under warranty.

I was going to try and put in back in the track myself, but didn't want to make it worse . . . so I left it alone!

Lou_and_Bette

I had one end come out like yours. While we were at the rally in Copake, the Dometic rep was there and after taking a look, recommended using a dull object to push the the edge back in. I had a piece of dowel rod that fit into the channel and used that. I unrolled the awning about 6 inches and then used a small bunge cord to hold the top of the awning against the trailer to give me slack. There is a screw in photo number 3 that needs to be removed before working on that end. I found it easier to stretch out the loose part of the awning and wedge the very end of the poly cord, that hard white line, into the channel and it will hold it in place, freeing a hand, until you can take your "push object" and a hammer and begin tapping the cord and then awning/cord combo back in the channel. I didn't have to really hit my dowel rod hard but did take some force to get the awning/ cord portion in the channel. Once you have the awning back in the channel, replace the screw, making sure it either goes through the poly cord or in front of the cord to pin it against the coach. If there is no screw on the other end, you need to put one in.