Adjustable dampers OK or not?

TxCowboy

I purchased some of these adjustable dampers for the AC vents but had two fulltimers tell me I should not install them because restricting the air flow out of the AC vents would (not "could") damage the unit.

I want to be able to close the vents in the BR when not in use which I thought would force more air out of the vents in the LR and kitchen areas.

Were they just yanking my chain or are their comments valid?

pegmikef

I have heard that about the furnace and it getting too hot because of the restriction, but not the A/C.

danemayer

I have heard that about the furnace and it getting too hot because of the restriction, but not the A/C.

Dometic says:
Restrictions at the connection to the air conditioner is the most common cause, but blockage in the main duct runs can also cause freeze-up. ...

I think they're saying that if you have a blockage, perhaps caused by closing vents or from other causes, cold air may back up and get forced into the return, causing freeze-up.

I would think it depends on how much air moves through other vents when you close some down.

But if you're having a freeze-up problem and you have some vents blocked, I'd suggest you unblock them to see what happens.

donr827

I would close them down around 50% see what happens. JMHO but it would be best to call someone at HL to see what they say. On home a/c units you do this to balance the load but you are working with a lot more outlets.
Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My 2007 BH came with A/C outlets that can be closed. I also put dampner's outlets on the heater outlets. Has not caused any problems in 8 years.

danemayer

My 2007 BH came with A/C outlets that can be closed. I also put dampner's outlets on the heater outlets. Has not caused any problems in 8 years.

Freezing up might be more common in places with high humidity like Louisiana or Florida.

TxCowboy

Thought I posted a reply to this thread but I don't see it. LOL

It seems there isn't a clear answer to this question. Some RVs come with fixed vents and others come with adjustable vents so if there was some sort of "industry standard" answer for this question, there would likely be only one type of vent.

Thanks for the replies, all. :)

happykraut

[h=3]The following question was presented to Airxcel a Suburban Division. Not sure about the AC.
Can I close off a register so more heat goes to another part of the vehicle?[/h]
No, this is not recommended. Doing so will cause improper furnace operation and possible overheating of the furnace.

danemayer

Clear answers are hard to come by because floor plans vary, vent systems vary, climate conditions vary.

I'm using adjustable vents: 2 in the bedroom, 1 in the bathroom, 2 in the kitchen. I leave the kitchen vents closed. The bedroom and bathroom vents get closed when I run the bedroom A/C unit, because it doesn't use those vents and keeps the area cold. With this arrangement, on a hot day more of the living room air goes to the rear of the coach.

BUT, since the A/C manufacturer has warned about possible icing, if I were to experience icing, I would change what I'm doing to eliminate the icing.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've been using adjustable vents for the furnace for years. The furnace hasn't complained about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

Just so we're all on the same sheet of music, I'm not asking about the furnace vents. I'm asking about the AC vents.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have adjustable vents on the AC in the bath and bedroom... Close them off to force air into the main living area...have had no issues doing this.

Snow

Hey Jeff another Jeff here , I was told the same thing by a rv dealer that inspected my rv the other week he said restricting the ducts would cause freezing up and that's what happened while we were at nags head last year but it was 100 degrees and vary humid I have since opened everything back up and haven't had a problem ,but it don't look like they would sell adjustable vents and not be able use them, he also said to run fan on high all the time ,⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

TxCowboy

Jeff, thanks for the reply. I normally run my main AC on AUTO which seems to default to the HIGH setting. I'm on the Texas coast so high temps and high humidity are the norm. Thanks for the advice. :)