Burning rubber smell

Dylan

Came down a big hill, as we arrived at our destination, and as we made the turn, bad burnt rubber smell. I checked all fluids, all ok, and tires ok. I'm thinking brake pads? Anyone experience the same, after braking on a rather large hill. With a heavy rig? F350, carrying a 3670RL. Fully loaded. Plan to take the truck for a ride, before hook up, to check brakes on the truck alone. Thoughts????? Trailer is a 2009, with not that many miles on it. Truck brakes were done not long ago.

buddyboy

Were you on your brakes continuously down the grade? How long? Have your trailer brakes ever been replaced?

bighorn3370

I would look at the tires. They may look good, but a belt may be starting to go. When I lost the tread on my tire, everything looked good but had the burning rubber smell. Overheated or over used brakes have a much different smell than rubber.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One or more of your trailer tires/wheels may have locked up causing it to skid. Did you see any smoke when braking? If so that would indicate tire slide(skid) causing the rubber smell. It is possible only one or two of the trailer tires slides depending on adjustment. Inspect the trailer tires closely to see if you can see a flat spot on it where the tread has slid. If you find it then you found the tire that has the brake issue.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since this happened at your destination, go take a look at the pavement. If you had a brake lock up you should see skid marks.
Since you said that your rig is a 2010 with few miles that indicates it has been sitting a lot and when it sits rust likes to form. If it has never been done, you need to do an inspection of the braking system at each wheel.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
On a recent trip, an overloaded flatbed trailer being towed too fast passed us. A few miles down the road, we started smelling burned rubber smell. A few minutes later, we saw the truck/trailer on the side of the road, wheel bearing failure and tire at an angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes it is commen to smell hot rubber and brake smell after coming down a large down grade, However it means you my have glazed the brakes a bit. As a truck driver going up and down the mountains it happens quite often. You may just try to start off the top of the grade a bit slower and if the pickup wont hold you back just keep a light steady pressure on the brake, not intermittent heavy pressue to keep slowing you down. Or Buy a Duramax with the Allison Trans and exhaust brake LOL..... And then your set...

olcoon

I've got a 2010 Dodge with the Cummins & exhaust brake. We've had it & the rig in the Rocky's in Colorado, and the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming. As a general rule, I've seldom had to touch the brakes with the truck in tow/haul, and the exhaust brake on.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree, brakes and rubber are two different smells.

Make sure you are in tow/haul mode with exhaust brake on when descending hills. This will save your brakes.

After towing at highway speed on a warm day, sometimes there is a faint smell of warm rubber from my G614's. I think that is normal. Trace