Ford 6.7 fuel system issues

My company owns a 2014 Ford F-350 duelly truck. It is a delivery vehicle. It recently started to show a fuel system hi-pressure code. Took it to the ford
dealer for diagnosis, resulting in steel shavings in the fuel rail. Dealer says its going to take 9k out of my pocket to fix it.

i used to run Dodge until their 6.7's choked themselves to death. switched to Duramax and Ford. Duramax runs fine and with twice the miles as Ford.

If Ford continues to ignore their problem, I guess no more Fords in my life. By the way my Ford is 3rd in line to get the same thing fixed and their are 2 behind mine as well.
I will keep you up to date with the problem.
Rick in South Dakota

John T Bettencourt

Ford has had problems for years. And to tell you the truth they just don't care because people keep buying them. Myself I just don't understand why people go back for another.

IronJ

Find a new dealer...while the bosch pumps have shown issues (and it's NOT just ford) a good honest dealer will test the system to make sure you didn't run junk through it and then in most cases fix it...I've had 3 now and I run cetane boost every tank unless it's 10% + bio blend. ..it's a lubricity issue and simply doing that eliminates the pump from imploding on itself...

But your not the first to have the issue...ford has changed the pump for new models....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Mburtsvt

Ford has had problems for years. And to tell you the truth they just don't care because people keep buying them. Myself I just don't understand why people go back for another.

I went back to ford after my Ram was recalled for the 6th time. I sold the Ram before the buy back, (oh well). Now have a 2015 F-350. so far- so good.

Mburtsvt

Find a new dealer...while the bosch pumps have shown issues (and it's NOT just ford) a good honest dealer will test the system to make sure you didn't run junk through it and then in most cases fix it...I've had 3 now and I run cetane boost every tank unless it's 10% + bio blend. ..it's a lubricity issue and simply doing that eliminates the pump from imploding on itself...

But your not the first to have the issue...ford has changed the pump for new models....

Doing a Google search it seems to be an across the board problem with some diesel trucks. Hopefully you are still under warranty. I have always done the extended warranty on my last 3 trucks. All paid off.

IronJ

Details? Brand, etc.
First few years I ran the ford pm 33 I think is the number. ...now I just run the diesel kleen in the grey jug...we don't need the anti gel down here in Tejas. ..

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I use Diesel Kleen as well. I use the gray bottle except during the cold months of winter, when I switch to the white bottle for the anti-gelling capabilities of the winter blend. Have used it for 8 years now and since I have been using it on my 2012 and when I started on my 2003 Ford, I have not had a lick of fuel system problems.

Rod

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
At 103k miles I had a low pressure pump go bad on my '08 6.4. Pumping less than one psi, should be 4-8 psi. I've never used an additive but open to it if they really make a difference.

IronJ

While old that study shows how poor us ulsd is for lubrication and how even just a pinch of biodiesel can dramatically improve lubricity...I used to avoid bio because it does not have as much stored energy as non bio, but given the poor lubrication in diesel I now usually go to a place with 10% max biodiesel and then I still add the power kleen to improve cetane rating. ..

On another unrelated note, I actually have a good friend who was working at the lab in San Antonio that did those tests on additives....I think they even added canola or something crazy like that to see what It would do...lol

IronJ

In my experience/travels bio is always cheaper...you just don't get the same mpg. ...so it's a trade...kinda sucks when your towing and you lose mpg, but after thinking about the big picture, I'd rather have the lube the fuel offers

And to add to what the op was going through, I shot a text over to my ford mechanic. ..he said on the pump failures, they look at if any gunk was in system and most importantly If ANY signs of moisture damage are evident. ...moisture In the system is the #1 reason for failure they see, says him...lol

Rodbuster

I have a 2011 F350 diesel and I have never used an additive. As the saying goes, "it's never too late to start", but, has the damage already been done or started???

I have about 80,000 miles on the truck.

IronJ

I have a 2011 F350 diesel and I have never used an additive. As the saying goes, "it's never too late to start", but, has the damage already been done or started???

I have about 80,000 miles on the truck.
Ya know I've run numerous tanks and forgot or didn't have additive. ...and I pondered the potential damage I was surly doing for a quite a bit (well for at least as long as it took to fill up) lol...

I have LOTS of friends who have 6.7 ford's and BEAT THEM and might even change the oil once in a while....never an issue....heck other than what I read I have never personally come across another owner who has had a high pressure pump implode (and this is texas! There are no less than 12 6.7 ford's owned by my immediate neighbrs!!) Other than my brother in law who has managed to break EVERY SINGLE NEW TRUCK he has bought from every manufacturer (tows way overloaded, way too fast daily and should be in a 650/750)

Anyway, given the sheer number of these trucks out there and the numbers of failures of any sort, I would guess the odds are in your favor that nothing will ever happen. ....BUT much like we put tpms and surge guards on our trailers and nothing usually happens it's relatively cheap insurance against worst case scenario and the ensuing frustration that would come with that..

So to answer your question in my opinion.....probably no damage and never too late...

As I mentioned before, contaminated fuel was the #1 cause of pump/fuel system issues with bosch pumps...

But that's a whole different thread for debate and discussion..lol