ATF: Big Country - Is there a Dometic A/C recall?

navyAZ1

A person we met at the campground we're currently at has a 2014 Cyclone, and they had it in for some roof repairs and the dealer told them they needed to replace all 3 A/C units due to a recall. I was curious if anyone has heard about this. I went to the list of recalls here on this site and found nothing, and then went to the Dometic site, and the only recall they referred to was pertaining to a refrig. recall. Curious if anyone knows about this and where would I go to get the info to find out if our A/C units are included in this if it actually exists.

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
A person we met at the campground we're currently at has a 2014 Cyclone, and they had it in for some roof repairs and the dealer told them they needed to replace all 3 A/C units due to a recall. I was curious if anyone has heard about this. I went to the list of recalls here on this site and found nothing, and then went to the Dometic site, and the only recall they referred to was pertaining to a refrig. recall. Curious if anyone knows about this and where would I go to get the info to find out if our A/C units are included in this if it actually exists.
we had to have our main AC replaced in January and the Mobil tech told us that dometic had a problem with some of their units having bad copper lines in them, but that was with whisper quiet units.
Linda

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have had to have 4 units replaced - 2 in the main unit and 2 in the bedroom, all because of bad units. Dometic has replaced them with no questioned asked (other than inconvenience to us). Yes there was a problem at the China factory which supposedly Dometic has corrected but... Heartland is not the only manufacturer with this problem, Keystone, Forest River and KZ all buy their a/c from Dometic and also have had major problems with them as well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Has anyone heard a range of manufacture dates for these defective units? Curious since our coach was built in October 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

A 2015 Big Country that is camped with us is getting his units replaced today I know. Not sure of the exact reason, but will follow up later with the reason why.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
This is interesting. And a thread I need to follow. My main (living room) A/C quit working about 3 weeks ago. I was going to have it looked at by my dealer after I get back to Virginia. Now I have reason to be concerned.

danemayer

A recall usually involve safety issues. These Air Conditioner failures don't rise to the level of safety issue and will probably never generate a "recall". So searching for "recall" will probably yield no results.

If you have an out of warranty failure, I'd suggest discussing with Dometic Customer Service as to whether they will provide a customer satisfaction accommodation. They may have a hidden program to handle failures on a case-by-case basis.

It's possible they might set up a special program with a more general warranty extension. So far, it doesn't look like anyone has seen information about a special program like that.

navyAZ1

Thanks all, we aren't having an issue I was just curious about the recall that I might check our serial numbers or something?

Nabo

Erika - I think you are ok. From what I understand, Dometic lost the manufacture in late fall of 2013, quickly trying to find another manufacture but did not check the factory out. They were putting sub-quality parts in. Our coach was made in march 2014. We lost the first unit within 4 months, second one in August 2014, third one which was the 1st replacement the following June 2015 and the 4th one (also another replacement) in Sept 2015 while it was at the dealership. That was a funny phone call from the dealer who said they had good news and bad news, the bad new in that while they were working on our coach, the a/c went out. Not sure how many units were manufactured in the sub-quality factory but I haven't heard of that many new units having to have their a/c replaced recently. B--

avvidclif

That doesn't give me a warm fuzzy since mine was made June 2014 and I have 3 A/C's The back one probably doesn't have an hour on it. I think I will be running all 3 a lot this summer just in case. I think they have a 2 year warranty so should be covered.

HooDad

There's definitely a problem with these air conditioners. Replaced the main A/C in April 2015 and now the bedroom A/C needs replaced. Plan on having done next month.

Bob Vaughn

I bought my BC at the Tampa RV Supershow in Jan. 2011 so mine was built back in 2010 so maybe I am OK.......

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our Prowler was manufactured in January of 2015 . . .

So far the AC has worked good . . . although we really don't use it a lot.

Guess I should keep an eye on it.

gdawgs24

I have a 2017 big horn just purchased and 1st couple trips out had issues with the ac. I have it scheduled to take in but low and behold I received in the mail today a recall on them. I knew I wasn't crazy. just my luck though brand new 70K+ camper and have issue first time out. have to love it.

Mburtsvt

I have a 2017 big horn just purchased and 1st couple trips out had issues with the ac. I have it scheduled to take in but low and behold I received in the mail today a recall on them. I knew I wasn't crazy. just my luck though brand new 70K+ camper and have issue first time out. have to love it.

This is NOT A RECALL. It’s a TSB, (technical service bulletin). No safety issues are in question that would require a recall. Nothing will be replaced on your AC. An examination of the units will be performed and a few additional holes that were drilled will be filled.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Just be glad you are having the issues while it is still covered under warranty . . .

Nabo

And from what I understand, it's the new style Dometic a/c's on the Landmarks, Bighorns and Big Countrys installed since Jan. 1, 2016. There seems to be some kind of condensation drainage problem so a technical service notice has been issued.

We have a 2014 Big country that was purchased in February of 2015. In February of 2016 the rear unit (15000 btu) went out. January of 2017 the front unit (13500) went out. Had to send paperwork showing purchase date for warranty to cover replacement. Working with Florida outdoors dealer in Okeechobee Florida for replacement. Could not ask for better service from this dealer. I did not purchase from them but they are taking care of my unit and all the paperwork with Dominic.
The Dealer told me the replacement unit is an upgrade because Dominic knows they are having a problem with these units. I asked why they are not replacing all of these units if they know there is a problem? He told me all units are not bad just 90% of them. So if you have any of these units tell them they are bad before you go out of warranty.