bias ply tires on new North Trail

Hi folks-
I'm the proud new owner of a North Trail 21 FBS. I noticed that it is equipped with bias -ply tires. All previous trailers I've had used radial tires. Makes me wonder why why Heartland chose these tires. Better? Cheaper?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

irvin56

Good question

Should post this question in ask the factory thread.
I know reading about a lot of blowouts from china made tires, Maybe they changed to these.

M

Mcreech

I can only repeat what our engineers have told me and that is we will always use a tire that is rated for the weight of our trailer be that a bias or radial.....I'm not a tire expert but i know every tire has limits of what it can handle and Heartland Engineers are very careful about this and make sure not to push the limts of tires......So to answer which is better, I'm not sure but I am sure that the tire we use is rated for the weight of the North trails.........I hope this helps

RVCamper

My new 2009 Northtrail has Bias ply tires "DURO" which is a 9001 certified supplier and has a warranty on case checking. I'm personally glad that they went with Bias Ply as they typically have better anti sway ability, and a tougher side wall. I know that they don't wear as well, but I don't suspect that will be an issue. Still made offshore, but hopefull (fingers crossed knock on wood) these will be ok. As always your mileage may vary. :)

Thanks for the input. Yes , I have read that bias ply tires do have a stiffer sidewall, better for less sway issues. But I've never had any sway toubles with my TV (Super Duty) and a good hitch.

Bias ply tires do run hotter however. Could be a concern when summer traveling. Also have concerns about availability of finding a quick replacement if a tire fails out on the road. Most everyone stocks radials, as they seem to be the standard these days..

Hope this is a good combination for this trailer, only time will tell. I have lots experiance with blow-outs on my previous 5th wheel and travel trailer, all radials. Of course, the tire company always tries to blame the consumer, saying you overloaded the trailer or ran low air pressure, or something. I always weigh my trailers and maintain the tires carefully, yet they still seem to fail often. Funny, it's been 20 years since I had a flat on a vehicle, have had 6 or 7 trailer tires fail in the last 10 years. Sigh...

irvin56

I have duro also

I have DURO tires also, They say radial, I'll have to check the rest of tire markings to see if they are bias-ply. Most likely are.

RVCamper

My new 2009 Northtrail has Bias ply tires "DURO" which is a 9001 certified supplier and has a warranty on case checking. I'm personally glad that they went with Bias Ply as they typically have better anti sway ability, and a tougher side wall. I know that they don't wear as well, but I don't suspect that will be an issue. Still made offshore, but hopefully (fingers crossed knock on wood) these will be ok. As always your mileage may vary. :)

UPDATE: Tires cracked and need replacing in less than a year of ownership.. :mad:

Same thing happened to our 31QBS, Duro tires cracked within a year and 1,000 miles. My dealer has offered to replace them, but with the same tires. Have they gotten any better ?

RVCamper

My dealer says he does not do tires. I still have not heard back from Duro, multiple attempts on my part... the saga continues :mad:

RVCamper

I got 5 new Denman's made in Mexico on the trailer installed yesterday. They get really good reviews, and the outfit that I had install them are the same folks we used for over the road semi-trailer tires. These are the only ones they sell, and put them on lowboys that haul backhoes etc. They say they never get them back for adjustments, only worn out, or with something in them.

Denman Express S/T Steel Belted Radials
SIZE PLY CODE DEPTH WIDTH O.D. C.S. RIM INFL. LOAD WT.
ST205/75R14 6 DRT - 53R 11/32 4.6 26.3 7.5 5.5 x 14 50 1760 25

• The Very Best Special Trailer Service tire in the Marketplace–OUR BEST SELLING LINE
  • Designed from the Ground Up for Special Trailer Service
  • Heavy Duty Bead Bundles and Additional Nylon Cap Overlay provide Industry Leading Heavy Load Performance ( I can atest to the exta bead bundles, these were a bear for them to get on the rim)
  • Specially Designed Tread and Large Contact Patch “Reduces Wander”
It does pull differently than with bias plys, but I was also going over some rough surfaces. As long as these hold up I'm happy. We'll see what happens with Duro, but my felling is that these should not be on the trailer in the 1st place. The specs on the rims, tires are too close to the max right from the start. My unit should have larger tires from the factory, and more room between the tire and the unit. IN my opinion. Yes it would cost more, but at least I'm not out changing tires, wasting a Saturday, and being upset with both Heartland, and Duro.