Upgrading tire size on North Trail 24BHS???

Wesley

New to the forum. Purchased 2017 North Trail 24bhs this summer. Really like the unit, but questioning the stock tire size (ST205/75-14C). Trailer is approx 5800lbs dry (6500-7000 loaded?) and tires are rated 1760lbs/ea with max speed of 75mph. Do I have enough clearance to upgrade to a 15" or 16" LT tire and would I have to upgrade the brakes? Pulling unit to Colorado next year (2500+ miles round trip) and a little worried about tire dependability. TV is 3500 RAM that likes to go 80mph (or is that me?). Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Gaffer

Weigh your rig. You need to know what weight you have on your trailer axles. Compare that to your rated axle rating. Only then can you make an informed decision. What brand tires are on your trailer now? If they are Towmax or an unknown brand, get yourself some Maxxis
With an appropriate load rating.

Domi

We upgraded our tires to R15 from R14 when we upgraded the axels. Wd needed more hight because our electric stablizers were dragging around corners.

Stayed with an ST but went up a load range as well.

We are happy with it but will be needing new tiesr within a year.

John

'Lil Guy'

Pulling with a 3500 should eliminate the need for a brake upgrade. Going to a 15 or 16 wheel to use a higher rated tire would be peace of mind. You could go with a 16 wheel and a D or E load tire. Control the tire diameter with the side wall height.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
My original Heartland RV was a Northtrail 24'....I changed out the towmax for Carlisle tires after major wear in only 1200 miles...Never another problem....I also towed with both a Ram 2500 and 3500....never needed to upgrade the axles, brakes as I could stop on a dime!
You maybe worrying about something you need not consider. Your trailer is not that heavy and in over 5 years and thousands of miles I never had a problem with original equipment except replacing the tires. Good luck in your decision!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Pulling unit to Colorado next year (2500+ miles round trip) and a little worried about tire dependability.

TV is 3500 RAM that likes to go 80mph (or is that me?).

Need to keep that trailer speed down to around 65 mph.

olybldr55

I also have had tire issues. After researching and considering options, I simply upgraded from a bias tire to a radial tire of the same 14" size but went up a load range to a "D" from a factory installed "C". There was an immediate noticeable difference in reduced rolling resistance with radials. Have had no tire issues for 5K miles.