Traveler dish 1000 not working

NorthCal Bob

Haven,t used the Rv in a couples of months. When I went to setup the dish I got an error message that reads EL motor home failure. Tried tun plugging both dc power line and comm line and still get the same error message. Haven,t climbed on the roof yet to look, called tech support but they haven,t called back yet. Anyone else ever have this problem, is it something that I might be able to troubleshoot myself.

Thanks

Noofear

Wow I just got done with the same problem if you go ahead and Google it there's a forum that explains how to reprogram and recalibrate that's probably all you're going to have to do it's all I did was just recalibrate

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Noofear

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for their tech support I called them at 9 o'clock this morning and when I called back this afternoon they were already closed for the day at 4 o'clock Central Time

Noofear

It did my systems working just fine now it probably took me about maybe all of a minute to do the programming

NorthCal Bob

I saw that on their site but was afraid to try it without talking to them, thanks I will try that, can't hurt to try. Thanks

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I found this

EL HOME FAILURE

Something is preventing the TRAV’LER mount from raising as it attempted to find

the HOME position. Look for obstructions if unit has recently been manually raised
or if the electronics have been replaced. The calibration may need to be reset.
Contact Winegard Technical Support at 1-800-788-4417.

Lou_and_Bette

Do you have Dish or Direct? I have Dish and if satellite is not in use when a software update happens, Dish locks m out until I call and they verify my account. They then reset and all is well..."We do this for your account secuity."

NorthCal Bob

Thanks All:
Just got home and tried the reprogram and recalibrate and didn't work so tried raising it manually when it came to the index that said raise antenna and it made a noise then said the EL motor failed. Went on top and looked for anything obvious and couldn't see anything. Decided since the unit is abt 8 yrs old I would just replace it with a new system rather than try to pay for troubleshooting and replacing motors etc.
Thanks again for all ur help.

Bob

NorthCal Bob

Well Winegard tech finally called me back. I had the rv at home and he called back after 30 mins like he said he would to give me time to get power and a receive out to the rig. He told me to go up on the roof and see if i could raise the antenna manually, but it was stuck and wouldn't move, I was afraid to put too much pressure on the ratchet. We tried doing the recal and kept getting the el motor failure. He convinced me to go up on the roof and shake the antennae and try to raise it manually again, I thought what the **** all i could do was break off the rod that raises it so I put more force on the ratchet and it finally broke loose and started up. Then with his help we did the recal and everything is working now. Don't know why it froze up he said both the worm and main gears are metal so they shouldn't have done that.
Winegard's tech name was Charles and was very helpful and patient, the trick is being lucky enough to be in the right place and at the right time to answer the phone when they call because they only try one time.

donr827

I had the same problem several years ago after camping near the ocean. It had been windy so I presumed the cause was sand. Went on top the roof and moved it by the dish by hand to fix the problem.
Don