Slide out topper

rzrektd

Hey folks! I have a '12 Elkridge 34TSRE. Want to install slide out topper on the dor side slide. But there isn't enough clearance between the right side roll up hardware and the main awning hardware. Anybody run into this? Suggestion?

Thanks! Rick

weekender01

This happens on many door side slides. Whoever installs the topper will just have to move the hardware over to ensure that it clears the main awning hardware.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Slide toppers are great . . . as long as you don't ever get any wind.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have ever had an issue with wind as it relates to my slide toppers. Typically they will not flap if adjusted correctly.

My grandfather used to say "You never know what will happen . . . until it happens!"

I saw a micro burst wind blow through St. Vrain State Park (Longmont, CO) that blew almost every slide topper off of every camper in the campground . . . not to mention every awning that hadn't been rolled up.

Ironically, the park rangers drove around a few hours earlier in the day to warn everyone of the high wind warning and to put their awnings away!

Funny thing is that hardly anyone (other than me, of course) heeded their warning and left their awnings and slides out!

Happened on July 4th, 2014.

I was planning on getting a slide topper installed on our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner the following week . . . but called up and canceled after I saw what the wind did to all of the RV's in the park.

Even though the weekend wasn't over yet, most of the RV's left the next morning after that.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I well never be without slide toppers.
Been in some pretty heavy winds and they do get noisy but if they blow off I'll just replace them.
Been fine for six years on this rig and were fine on the last rig.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

John,

The type of freak windstorm and damage you report must be pretty rare, because I think yours is the only report I ever see about wind damage to slide toppers.

Wind damage to awnings is reported all the time and that doesn't keep us from getting and using our awnings. Hail damage is fairly common, but we still take our rigs out and live through thunderstorms. Tree mishaps are not all that rare, but we still like to camp near trees.

If slide toppers were getting blown apart all the time, I'd think twice. But one report due to a freak windstorm doesn't bother me.

jnbhobe

I just replaced the material on two slideouts and one main awning, but they lasted 8 years, I wouldn't be without them for a minute.