Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rain water in pass through basement storage

1. Print this Post   #1

Rain water in pass through basement storage

We've had a couple of bad thunderstorms with heavy rain and high winds. Each time I've found a puddle of water in the center of the storage bay. Most obvious leak path is door gaskets. But they look good. Also took everything out and looked for a trail of water ingress, but found nothing. It's as if a cup of water was spilled. So just a puddle in the middle with no signs of water trail. Thoughts? BTW it's not a plumbing leak, I checked that.
    Matt & Pam
    Anywhere, USA
    2016 Ford F-350 Dually
    2016 Landmark Arlington
    HOC #3165

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Rain water in pass through basement storage

Hi lukeysh,

It's strange that there's just a puddle in the middle with no water on the ceiling or walls, or along the floor. But maybe another owner has some ideas.

Btw, since this seems to be about the pass through storage, I changed the subject line so that you don't get advice that has to do with the sealed underbelly.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3

Check for a drain pipe for the washer, sink, shower, etc.. It could be your vent stack on the roof leaking and the water is running down the pipe.
    If you aren't in trouble or causing no trouble, you aren't having any fun!! And I am having a blast!!!
    How about you??
    2019 Ram Limited Crew Cab 3500, 6.7 Turbo Desiel, 1,000 FTPD of Torque, Aisin, 4.10's, Max Tow, Towing Technology
    "Classic" 06 Landmark Mt. Rushmore, Mor-Ryd, Trail Air Air Pin, Disc Brakes, 17.5 Wheels & Tires ( 6,000 lb Cap @),
    Dishwasher, Induction Cook Top, and a few other improvements

4. Print this Post   #4
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

My last plumbing leak was the lavatory faucet. The flimsy plastic innards were leaking at a seal and it ran back down the supply and dripped on the basement floor, behind the wall and ran out under it. Replaced the faucet with an all-metal residential one and problem solved.

On a different note, the cargo door seals are not 100% effective in some cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

5. Print this Post   #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDar View Post
    My last plumbing leak was the lavatory faucet. The flimsy plastic innards were leaking at a seal and it ran back down the supply and dripped on the basement floor, behind the wall and ran out under it. Replaced the faucet with an all-metal residential one and problem solved.

On a different note, the cargo door seals are not 100% effective in some cases.

It's definitely not a plumbing leak. My Arlington has no exposed pipes in the storage bay. I've checked behind bay panel and all water lines tight. Only happens in downpours with rain. Weird thing is not finding a trail to origin.
    Matt & Pam
    Anywhere, USA
    2016 Ford F-350 Dually
    2016 Landmark Arlington
    HOC #3165

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by lukeysh View Post
    It's definitely not a plumbing leak. My Arlington has no exposed pipes in the storage bay. I've checked behind bay panel and all water lines tight. Only happens in downpours with rain. Weird thing is not finding a trail to origin.
    I too have found water in our pass thru after pulling thru some rain. Ours appears to be coming from the driver side door or behind the UCB area. There are no signs of leaks from the piping at all and the door seal looks good but maybe looks are deceiving? Any thoughts?
    Beryl and Donna Christian
    Tri color Sheltie "Bella"
    Frisco, TX

2017 BigHorn 3875FB (Lucy #5)
    Full body paint
    Frame undercoating
    Rear observation camera
    DISH auto satellite
    TST Flow thru TPMS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 diesel 2wd Lariat
    2012 Ford F-350 DRW Lariat 2wd, Retrax roll up bed cover (sold)
    Tiffin Allegro RED (sold)
    K-Z Escalade fiver (sold)

7. Print this Post   #7
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

Rain water in pass through basement storage

A driving or even just a steady rain can allow water to collect on the top of the door panel and bottom of the door frame. From there, it may seep past the seal if there is any gap at all. Over time, it destroyed my two large cargo doors and is starting to swell the two smaller ones. The perimeter seal of the door panel is a joke and the "weep" holes on the bottom of it allow accumulated water to wick into the panel rather than drain from it. Add freeze/thaw, and you have swelled and cracked panels.

If your door seals were leaking, however, the area directly below the opening should be wet.

Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

8. Print this Post   #8

lukeysh, had the same problem with my Landmark. What was happening is the seam behind the compartment gasket was not sealed properly. You have to pull the gasket away to see it. You will see where the two pieces come together,that seam needs to be chalked. Then apply a new gasket in place after pulling the old one off. The leak will be on the bottom of the compartment track. If you want to find out for sure before you pull things apart, put a towel along the inside edge and wait for a rain storm. Mine was driving me crazy for a long time as the water was always in a puddle in the middle of storage area.

9. Print this Post   #9

We had the same symptoms on our 2015 Bighorn shortly after taking delivery. After a lot of head scratching I determined that water was pooling in front of the gasket on the doors where the frame is held in with screws. In this case water was getting past the screws and running onto the compartment floor. I removed the screws along the bottom and sides, filled the holes with caulk and replaced the screws. That was a year and a half ago and no water on the compartment floor since. Good luck.

10. Print this Post   #10

Quote Originally Posted by John T Bettencourt View Post
    lukeysh, had the same problem with my Landmark. What was happening is the seam behind the compartment gasket was not sealed properly. You have to pull the gasket away to see it. You will see where the two pieces come together,that seam needs to be chalked. Then apply a new gasket in place after pulling the old one off. The leak will be on the bottom of the compartment track. If you want to find out for sure before you pull things apart, put a towel along the inside edge and wait for a rain storm. Mine was driving me crazy for a long time as the water was always in a puddle in the middle of storage area.
    I had read that some the bays were actually coming apart around the edges and I believe I may have one of those. I will begin my inquiry this coming week and keep this thread informed. Thanks to all.
    Beryl and Donna Christian
    Tri color Sheltie "Bella"
    Frisco, TX

2017 BigHorn 3875FB (Lucy #5)
    Full body paint
    Frame undercoating
    Rear observation camera
    DISH auto satellite
    TST Flow thru TPMS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 diesel 2wd Lariat
    2012 Ford F-350 DRW Lariat 2wd, Retrax roll up bed cover (sold)
    Tiffin Allegro RED (sold)
    K-Z Escalade fiver (sold)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast