New heartland owner in need of help

Jerseygsp

Hi I bought a new to us 28 ft heartland travel trailer. The previous owner said it was a 2009. But the registration says 2010. So don't know what year it is. But I have two questions. Can my water heater run off 120 volts? Or is it propane only. Also what is the red switch on the bathroom wall for. Thank you.

jimtoo

Hi Jerseygsp,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

The unit may have been built in 2009, but is a model year 2010. If the registration says 2010,, that is what it is considered.

Most likely the water heater will work on 120v, but you need to make sure it is full of water before turning on the switch. If the switch on the bathroom wall is like a normal wall switch but has red handle it most likely turns on the water heater. Again make sure you run water through the heater and then turn on the switch, if you get no hot water after a few minutes, the element may be burned out.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new to you unit.

Jim M

Jerseygsp

Thank you so much Jim too. I can't access the link you posted it won't let me. Do you guys have mextra ups in new jersey. I camp down the shore. Can't wait to get this out. We bought a popup 3 months ago to start. And realized we love camping so we upgraded right away

jimtoo

Hi Jerseygsp,

Thanks for letting me know about the link to the club info not working. I don't know how or when it happened, but some how it was changed. It is now working.

I don't speak New Jersey.. so could you translate this for me???? :) Do you guys have mextra ups in new jersey. :)

Jim M

Also,, please let us know what unit you have,,, North Trail or what?? Model Number?

Lou_and_Bette

There are usually 2 switches that control the 120 volt side of the hot water heater. One is like Dan described above and the other is located outside in the water heater compartment usually in the lower left hand corner. Both these switches need to be on, after you are POSITIVE the water heater is full, to get hot water. There is only one switch for the propane heating. You can use both electric and gas at the same time to speed up the heating of the water.

chaplady

Hi there Jerseygsp
Welcome from another South Jersey person . You will find the heartland family extremely friendly& helpful. Enjoy Bill

Jerseygsp

Thanks everyone. And lol Jim it was supposed to say do you guys do rallies in new jersey. But writing from my phone and can't tell you how that came out.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
As Lou mentioned . . . if you have electric water heat you will have two switched for it.

One will be inside the trailer and will look like a regular light switch, only it will be red and will light up when turned on.

The other will be outside on the back side of the water heater and will look like this (lower left):

ProwlerWHswitch-P1000780.jpg

I only have that switch on when we are camping and have water in the heater, and always make sure it is turned off when rolling.

RamblinFever

Hi I bought a new to us 28 ft heartland travel trailer. The previous owner said it was a 2009. But the registration says 2010. So don't know what year it is. But I have two questions. Can my water heater run off 120 volts? Or is it propane only. Also what is the red switch on the bathroom wall for. Thank you.
Check the VIN. 10TH digit code indicates year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

olcoon

Thanks everyone. And lol Jim it was supposed to say do you guys do rallies in new jersey. But writing from my phone and can't tell you how that came out.

Yes there are rallies in New Jersey. You can check the "Events" tab at the top to the right, in the light blue bar. But as a club member you can attend any of the rally you wish anywhere in the US. If you aren't a club member, you can still attend, however it will cost $20.00, in addition to the normal campground/campsite fee. So there is another reason to join the owner's club, not to mention the 10% discount on parts that are ordered directly from Heartland, and being able to attend the national rally!