Am I the only new owner who's trailer seems like a lot of corners were cut?

Not sure that I understand why covering the trailer in the winter would result in thin material. Are they suggesting that the rubber roof was abraded by the rubbing of the cover? Surely the vents, antenna, AC unit, skylights, etc would have kept the cover from touching it. Otherwise, I would think that there would be clear wear marks where it did touch. What is the logic of this? I know a lot of folks believe that the cover will wear away the finish. But, enough wear to remove significant amounts of rubber roof would probably have caused the cover to fail much sooner than the roof.

But, I don't know

They are suggesting it was the rubbing of the cover. I know other RV owners who always cover their unit here in Michigan and none have reported roof damage from the cover. I still maintain it is defective material. This is the first Heartland product I have owned. I've not had any roof issues with other manufacturers units. Really disappointed with Heartland at this point.

danemayer

They are suggesting it was the rubbing of the cover. I know other RV owners who always cover their unit here in Michigan and none have reported roof damage from the cover. I still maintain it is defective material. This is the first Heartland product I have owned. I've not had any roof issues with other manufacturers units. Really disappointed with Heartland at this point.
If you believe the rubber roof material is defective, you might give Dicor a call. They make the EPDM roof and warrant the material for 12 years. If they agree with you, perhaps they'll help.

ckwall

If you believe the rubber roof material is defective, you might give Dicor a call. They make the EPDM roof and warrant the material for 12 years. If they agree with you, perhaps they'll help.

I am researching my coverage options. I do not have an indoor option that I can afford, so that is out. So, I am looking at covers. I don’t get a ton of wind, but there may be a wind storm from time to time. To me it seems like a well fitted cover with proper installation should do just fine. I wonder if putting a few sandbags around the top edges of the roof to keep it from lifting and shifting in the wind would help or if it would cause problems. I get both of the arguments, both for and against the cover. What wax and protectant would everyone recommend as an alternative to a cover?

danemayer

From time to time people ask on this forum about what cover to buy. Most of the responses are to save your money. As I recall, the 3 issues usually mentioned are 1) damage to the roof, 2) difficulty getting them on and off, and 3) the covers don't last very long.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I am researching my coverage options. I do not have an indoor option that I can afford, so that is out. So, I am looking at covers. I don’t get a ton of wind, but there may be a wind storm from time to time. To me it seems like a well fitted cover with proper installation should do just fine. I wonder if putting a few sandbags around the top edges of the roof to keep it from lifting and shifting in the wind would help or if it would cause problems. I get both of the arguments, both for and against the cover. What wax and protectant would everyone recommend as an alternative to a cover?

Several of my neighbors have used RV covers over the years . . . none of them use covers now!

I've never seen a single one of those covers last through one winter.

Plus, they don't fit very well over the corner water eves (like in the photo below) without breaking them off.

ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010708.jpg

alwaysbusy

Another preference question; nonetheless, in the northeast I've always used ADCO Tyvek covers and they have held up well for me. However, I only put it on and take it off one time a year.

Water eves will punch holes in any cover used and ruin it. The answer is purchasing new, soft tennis balls. Make two slices in them in a "+" shape but be sure not to go too big. Slip them on the eves and your good to go.

macjj

Only one comment, the "eve" s have the tendency to tear the covers, especially if you have and wind issues. I resolved that issue by talking "Wiffle" baseballs (any sporting goods sales), cutting a 3/4 " hole, and sliding it over the "eve" or drain spout before putting the over on. I cover mine (however I do not have the harsh winters) every time I come back from a trip, and the last cover lasted 4 years. And have no damage to my roof (2012) thus far

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

macjj

Now to address the original issue. I see no reference where the factory was addressed. Jim Belitti is the owners advocate, and from what I have noted he has done a superb job. Try contacting him with your issues. I have visited the factory and witnessed how the install these rubber roofs. I find it difficult to envision a "thin" spots, however not impossible. I would suspect a dealer replacement, but then who thinks to inspect the roof when doing a walk through. My suggestion is you start discussions with the factory, not through the dealer. The factory has always been straight forward with me over the past 4 years, although I have had little warranty issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk